PDA

View Full Version : Fan is loud on my BFG 6800 GT OC

jfaneuf
11-01-04, 04:43 PM
The nvidia control panel shows that my card idols at about 60 - 61 degrees celcius and is the loudest device in my case. I even took the side off and this is the lowest temp it idoled at. Is this correct? Should it idol at this temp with the side off and is it supposed to be this loud at that temp?

mustrum
11-01-04, 05:01 PM
Can't help you with the idle temp (i think it's ok though) since i ripped my GT out very fast after i heard how "silent" it is in win XP idle mode. When i heard the sound in 3d i just laughed my ass off - ripped it out and applied the waterblock.
If you don't want to go water: The NV5 silencer from arctic cooling is known to be somewhat silent and delivers better cooling as well.

JRd1st
11-01-04, 05:21 PM
60C at idle seems hot to me. How hot is the room it's in? Mine idles at 47C to 50C at normal room temps. Check to see if the screws for your heatsink are loose.

For the fan noise you can try ExperTool. It's supposed to be for Gainward cards only but many report it works on non gainward cards.

ftp://gainward-ftp.de/utility/expertool/expertool_320.zip

kahloq
11-01-04, 05:32 PM
60c idle is normal and is not HOT by any means. If you have the newer heatsink design with the 2 fans, 60C is absolutely spot on. What will help lower the temp some is a side case fan or put in a vantec dual fan pci card. That will drop the temps by about 5-10c. I can't hear the BFG 6800GT in my wifes case at all. The regalar case fans are louder then it is. In fact, the cpu cooler is louder then the GT. But all the case fans combined plus the special cpu fan I got is still pretty quiet and isnt near loud enough to be bothersome. You must have no case fans to hear you card, even at its highest speed.

mustrum
11-01-04, 05:35 PM
60c idle is normal and is not HOT by any means. If you have the newer heatsink design with the 2 fans, 60C is absolutely spot on. What will help lower the temp some is a side case fan or put in a vantec dual fan pci card. That will drop the temps by about 5-10c. I can't hear the BFG 6800GT in my wifes case at all. The regalar case fans are louder then it is. In fact, the cpu cooler is louder then the GT. But all the case fans combined plus the special cpu fan I got is still pretty quiet and isnt near loud enough to be bothersome. You must have no case fans to hear you card, even at its highest speed.
Not true. Any half decent casefan at 5 Volt is inaudible. In a silent system the GT is screaming like a Lamborghini at 8k RPM. No way to call that card silent.
Sure you wont hear it in a typical system with lots of a fans but if you want a silent system the stock HS is unbearable.

kahloq
11-01-04, 05:52 PM
Not true. Any half decent casefan at 5 Volt is inaudible. In a silent system the GT is screaming like a Lamborghini at 8k RPM. No way to call that card silent.
Sure you wont hear it in a typical system with lots of a fans but if you want a silent system the stock HS is unbearable.

Ummm the average person does not have a silent case at all. And ONE casefan would be almsot inaudible, but if you have 3,4 or more, you will hear them somewhat. For a silent system, the stock heatsink is audible, but no where near unbearable unless you just have utterly high noise annoyance problems.
The topic starter also didnt say anything about a silent case. To you, yeah it might be a little loud COMPARED to hearing nothing if you spent money on true silent case fans or use watercooling.

jfaneuf
11-01-04, 07:54 PM
Been a while since I updated my sig. I have 3 case fans 1 exhaust on the top of case 1 exhaust on the back of case right below the psu and 1 on the side facing the mb. I need to drill more holes because I believe that the airflow could be alot better. Anyhow honestly the loudest thing in the case is my video card. It could possibly be a power issue. I am looking into it. Had to take out my 24 pin psu and put in a 20 pin ATX with the 24/20 pin adapter. Been having power issues for a while and had to change my motherboard. I had unplugged all my case fans just to be sure and I was right. Unless of course it's the PSU. I am using an "Antex TruePower 430W" But it has silent written all over it.

john19055
11-01-04, 09:45 PM
60c is hot to me but most GT run that hot so you should be fine ,but getting a NV5 silencer will let your card run cooler and should'nt be as loud.

einstein_314
11-02-04, 12:29 AM
60C does seem a bit hot. My 6800 ultra overclocked to 445/1.21 idles at 53C with the stock cooler. As for noise, it is definately the noisiest device in my case, which is why I have a NV5 silencer on it's way to me. Should lower my temps and noise levels.

ChrisRay
11-02-04, 12:36 AM
Guys keep in mind the 6800 Ultra has a better cooler than the 6800 GT/NU lines do.

theultimo
11-02-04, 03:26 AM
Mines idling ~56C with the stock twin fan cooler. I'd say its normal.

jfaneuf
11-02-04, 06:55 AM
Gonna try a few different things. I appreciate all the info people. Thanks a million.

ST:DS9
11-02-04, 11:18 AM
Shouldn't the system temperature be cooler with the side on. My temps go up when I take the side off, because it disprupts the air flow.

My temps:

Ambient: 33C
Star up and no gaming: 53C
Gaming: 59C

Try to get a better airflow going in your system:

Use rounded cables
Get the extra wiring out of the way if possible.

jfaneuf
11-02-04, 11:20 AM
What is ambient as apposed to idle

theslug
11-02-04, 11:33 AM
Mine idles at 65 C, which as far as I know is about normal. And that's with the stock heatsink/fan and no overclocking.

JRd1st
11-02-04, 11:42 AM
My ambient is 30C as read in nVidia control panel. I don't know what that measures though because my case temp, on the top of the case at the inlet to my PSU fan is 23.7C.

theultimo
11-02-04, 12:27 PM
My ambient is 30C as read in nVidia control panel. I don't know what that measures though because my case temp, on the top of the case at the inlet to my PSU fan is 23.7C.

I think it measures the cards monitor for ambient, my MB right now is stuck at 18C-22C ambient.

Edit a pic of MBM 5, which i use to inspect just about everything.

http://img38.exs.cx/img38/8724/mbm.gif

harl
11-02-04, 12:47 PM
What is ambient as apposed to idle

Ambient it's the temperature of the case or of the air surruonding the card.
isn't it?

theultimo
11-02-04, 01:06 PM
Ambient it's the temperature of the case or of the air surruonding the card.
isn't it?

Case, and Motherboard.

jfaneuf
11-02-04, 02:43 PM
I see. The reason that I asked this question in the first place is when I first put in this new power supply and turned on the pc, all of the fans turned on and it was loud like normal but when the logon screen came on everything quited down and I could hardly hear anything. I even thought something was wrong. But I can't simulate that again or maybe it was just that the computer was off all day and when I first started it up it was so cool in the case that the fans on the video card just slowed way down. And now I just leave it on all the time.

bkswaney
11-02-04, 08:13 PM
60 is normal for the BFG.
My idled around 62 to 65.
I talked to BFG they said is was normal.
Loads temps are normal up to 100.

SigmaOrionis
11-02-04, 09:08 PM
My BFG 6800GT new design Idles at 61C. My friends idles around 63C. So I wouldnt worry about the temps. As far as noise goes this video card is the loudest thing in my case. Its not terrible though. Its quieter than a high RPM 80mm case fan. But I'm trying to have a quieter system. I've gotten tired of having cases that sound like a Jet engine.