PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding IQ slider

zalmoxis
11-01-04, 07:55 PM
Sorry in advance if this has been answered before..

Is there is noticable difference in IQ when taking the IQ slider from high down to performance?

If so

What is the recommended setting for this to keep good IQ, yet maintain decent play rates.

Also with Fastwrites, i read somewhere that with a 6800GT, this does not make to much of a difference, i would like to hear some others input on this though.

Next .. :)

BIOS settings questions

Shadows .. to cache or not to cache....

AGP - Mobo default is 64, leave it or go 128?

PCI latency - Mobo default 32, set it to 128?

last thing:

Using 65.73 drivers..

When running dawn demo that came on my BFG 6800GT cd, i knowtice the background "jumps" from time to time... is this an issue with these drivers?
GPU temp is maintaing 63C while running the demo and CPU is around 47C.

Thanks in advance.

System:
P4 3.2c 800mhz HT
One gig hyperX pc4000 ram (currently running at 3200 :( )
MSI neo2 865PE mobo
SB Audigy 2 ZS gamer
Maxtor 120G ata 133/8mb buffer
WD 100G ata 100/2MB buffer

john19055
11-01-04, 08:06 PM
I found keeping it at it's default settings gives me the best over all results.

superklye
11-01-04, 08:59 PM
I've never noticed a difference...then again, I've alway put it over at Best Quality or whatever, so I dunno. I don't even know what it does really.

StoNer
11-01-04, 09:19 PM
changing your pci latency can mess up alot of stuff so i dont reccomend messing with it.

AGP aperature, some ppl say make it a 1/4 of your RAM (1 gig - 256mb aperature) some ppl say make it 1/2 of your RAM.

Fool around with them to see if it changes something.

Fastwrites should be on unless you have some kind of problem that turning them off will only fix.

dono about the caching of shadows.

Elvin Presler
11-01-04, 09:33 PM
My expurt opinion: :retard:

Is there is noticable difference in IQ when taking the IQ slider from high down to performance?

Don't know about the Performance setting, I run mine at High Quality, and I do see quite a difference over Quality. Quality looks grainy, and "crawls/shimmers" and High Quality does not. I don't notice any performance hit by running HQ either and in fact Serious Sam SE was a few frames per second faster @ HQ. You have a pretty nice rig, go HIGH QUALITY. The difference between HQ, and Performance is probably like 4 frames per second...Pfffft! Go with High Quality unless you're running an antique 733mhz CPU and 64 megs of RAM!

Also with Fastwrites

Fastwrites may give you a very small performance boost depending on the game. Some people have issues with it on, like artifacts or stuttering. I don't have any of these so I leave it on. If ever I do get a game problem though, it's the first thing I turn off to see if it fixes the problem. So far, it never has, so it stays on.

Shadows (Shadowing)

Don't cache. Don't shadow. It's some old obsolete setting. Also don't cache System BIOS or Video RAM or BIOS (it's worded different in some BIOS). It shouldn't really hurt anything either way though.

AGP - Mobo default is 64, leave it or go 128?

This one is debatable (or heavily debated I should say), but I say go with 128. I've tried 32 - 256 and never saw any difference at all, so I go with the middle, not too big number. In theory, the more RAM/Video Card RAM you have, the smaller this number would need to be. It's reserved system RAM for video, sort of an overflow.

PCI latency - Mobo default 32, set it to 128?

Debatable as well. Higher is faster in theory but 128 is way too high! 64? Maybe. Some games will die if this is over 32, some will be fine. It also depends on exactly what PCI cards you have and how they deal with the larger settings. I would leave it at 32, and maybe try 64 out, but I really don't think it would make any noticable difference (didn't for me except the crashing on one particular setup), and don't forget you changed it so when/if bad things start to happen...

Using 65.73 drivers..

Don't! They're buggy. Then again if they work good for you, have a ball. I got texture corruption in games with them. I'm staying with the official 61.77 for now. Alot of people love the 6573's and a few have told me they are unstable crap. I thought they were pretty good until I saw them in Painkiller totally borking the textures (http://members.cox.net/junk666mail/pkanim.gif).

-=DVS=-
11-01-04, 09:48 PM
Everything is pretty much explained just one thing all setting up to Quality have AF optimizations on and variable algorithms (and you can manually turn some on/off), one exception when you select High Quality all AF optimizations are off and can't be turnet on.

Elvin Presler
11-01-04, 09:52 PM
one exception when you select High Quality all AF optimizations are off and can't be turned on.

...and that's a good thing! Optimizations are for sissies! :clap:

zalmoxis
11-01-04, 09:54 PM
Awsome replies guys (and gals?)

Found out why i had the artifacts(sp?) with the dawn demo, for some reason, ever since i installed my hyperX ram, i can not seem to use my MSI overclocking features without trouble. I had the chipset set to seargant(sp?) and performance to fast, and i was getting the grpahical errors. Upon setting the bios back to normal, they went away.

Not sure which forum i should check up with concerning the problem with my RAM though. I can not for the life of me, get my ram to clock at 500mhz (pc4000). Everytime i try to bump the FSB up to 250 (500MHZ ram), my system fails to boot, after several times of trying, it finally comes up and says timings are to tight. Have everything in BIOS set the way it should ( I think)

Voltage 2.65
timings, 3-4-4-8-8

Elvin Presler
11-01-04, 10:00 PM
I'm not following you about the FSB and RAM. I'm not familiar with your board or BIOS. You shouldn't have to bump up the FSB should you? Sounds like your getting it too high for your CPU!