PDA

View Full Version : HaloČ Feedback Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

Nitz Walsh
11-11-04, 10:22 AM
From a technical aspect I'm *almost* glad Halo 2 is NOT on PC instead of Xbox, I have a feeling if it was developed for PC it would've performed about half as well as Halo 1 did, which basically means anyone with a 9800/fx5900 or lower would be playing the game at 640x480 anyway :rolleyes: .
Well, TS for them - those were high-end cards "back in the day", but now we have $180 6600GT's and under $300 6800's. Even at 640*480, you would still have mouse control & mods, no small additions. Not to mention that even if a port was being done, it probably wouldn't arrive until late '05 - who knows what will be on the market at that time.

The original Halo was a crap port by Gearbox. Once they rewrote their shader code (It's a very advanced graphics engine poeple, that's what it's so slow! Uh....oh yeah, turns out our code sucks too), Halo CE can run almost twice as fast as the original. The levels had to be redone so unfortunately we never saw the code in the single player game. Still, with 6800/X800's getting 60fps at 1600*1200 with the original crap shader code, I can't see how performance would be a concern with Halo2...unless Gearbox did the port again. :)

Their LOD system is pretty aggressive, but I'm kinda wishing PC games would give you the option for LOD as well.
? LOD is extremely common in PC games, it's been used for years. When you notice it is when it's poor LOD, or you're just really pushing the platform. Can't speak for Doom3 as I'm waiting till I upgrade my rig to play it.

I think I'm almost done with the campaign. It's much shorter than I thought it would be, before when I assumed I had finished 3 levels it turns out I had finished 6. Oh well, at least it's been pretty enjoyable so far, although I can tell that they're building to a cliffhanger...
Hah - same here, I thought I was on the fourth level but I'm actually on the sixth. Still, one hell of a ride so far. I'm really getting into the Halo mythos.

Ninjaman09
11-11-04, 11:17 AM
I thought I was on the fourth level but I'm actually on the sixth.
I'm glad someone pointed this out. Two of the game's supposed "levels" are actually cutscenes. There are really only 13 levels in the game.

Edge
11-11-04, 01:41 PM
? LOD is extremely common in PC games, it's been used for years. When you notice it is when it's poor LOD, or you're just really pushing the platform. Can't speak for Doom3 as I'm waiting till I upgrade my rig to play it.

Yeah I phrased that badly, I should've said "used more often in PC games". There are quite a few games that use decent LOD systems on the PC, but strangely the major ones like Doom 3, Half-life 2, and possibly Farcry (character models, anyway) don't seem to have any real LOD system, it's the same detail whether you're standing right next to them or they're all the way across the level. I bought up Doom 3 as an example because there were places where it seemed like the game REALLY bogged down when there were many models on the screen at once (my framerate occasionally got into the single-digits), and only a few of them were near enough to me at any given time to even notice the details on them. Just seemed kinda wasteful, especially when far older games like Sacrifice have had very good LOD systems, even other console games like DX:IW and Riddick don't seem to have LODs. Guess that feature is just old fashioned...

Anyway, I beat the game, and all I can say is: don't expect much of an ending. At all. Think Matrix Reloaded. Aside from that though it was pretty fun, it gets better later on in the game, too. Didn't know 2 levels were cutscenes though (strange that noone actually checked what the chapters were in the level select), I'm assuming the first chapter is the intro but what's the second cutscene chapter? The scene with that...elder god from Soul Reaver? :D

circuitbreaker8
11-11-04, 02:37 PM
hehe my thread made the top of the page :D

Yonkers
11-11-04, 04:21 PM
Single-console coop only, no System Link or Live coop.

That blows major chunks. I wanted to co-op on xbox tunnel at least.

Edge
11-13-04, 01:28 AM
they ruined co-op!! instead of being able to respawn your teammate when you're not near enemies.. its like single player mode where you respawn at a checkpoint when you die. after spending 4.5 hours on legendary on one part on the first level with my roommate, its safe to say im really ****ing pissed off that they changed this.. co-op simply isn't fun anymore.

Sorry to revive this, but I think that only applies on Legendary mode. Under Easy, Normal, or Heroic, I'm pretty sure it works the same way Halo 1 did. If you're playing in Legendary, you should expect a big challenge. And it's still easier in coop in Legendary than with 1 person, since you have twice the firepower ;)

pat777
11-13-04, 09:24 PM
Sorry to revive this, but I think that only applies on Legendary mode. Under Easy, Normal, or Heroic, I'm pretty sure it works the same way Halo 1 did. If you're playing in Legendary, you should expect a big challenge. And it's still easier in coop in Legendary than with 1 person, since you have twice the firepower ;)
Sorry to post off-topic, but you didn't do anything wrong. This thread is a sticky.

On topic: I'm getting Halo 2 on the PC...
Eventually...

Edge
11-13-04, 10:52 PM
Oh yeah...forgot it was a sticky :D . Although I was mostly talking about reviving talk about a point that was discussed so long ago.

And I don't think Halo 2 is coming to PC...ever. The first one did eventually because Bungie had an agreement with Microsoft to have all their then-current games (well, pretty much just Halo) ported to the PC and Mac, but there's no agreement like that for the second one. Chances are, it's going to stay on Xbox like most of Microsoft Game Studio's other games like Brute Force and Crimson Skies:HRtR. Unless MS can find a REALLY convincing reason to port it, but after seeing how well the game sold on Xbox I don't think they're going to find the prospect of a PC port very enticing. Oh well, I can live with it, although if you really want to play the game with a keyboard/mouse then there is that Smartjoy Frag converter.

saturnotaku
11-14-04, 12:24 PM
Finally got a chance to sit down and play with this for a little bit this morning. This game is everything the original could/should have been had Bungie not needed to switch from PC to Xbox the first time. The 'Hog controls are vastly improved over the original, and dual wielding is all kinds of fun. I'm enjoying the heck out of this game right now, but it will be short-lived because my time and energy will be focused on HL2 once that gets in my grubby little hands.

First impression - 9/10. :thumbsup:

aAv7
11-14-04, 01:29 PM
man..I just cant get into this game....it reaks of the first one if u ask me.

Yonkers
11-15-04, 01:36 PM
Game was too short but fun. The shot gun was the best weapon in the game BY FAR. Good game 8/10 but a half point deduction for being too short 7.5/10

saturnotaku
11-15-04, 01:49 PM
I'll have to agree with the SP being short. After playing for about 6 hours yesterday, I figured I was maybe about 1/3-1/2 way through. When I loaded it up late last night to check exactly how many levels I had unlocked, I was shocked to see I had completed 10 of the 15. At least playing at the higher difficulty levels should provide some replay value, as it might be a while before I'm fully back online (our Internet gateway is down and we have a crappy stopgap solution in place).

I also will have to knock the game for some dubious (sp?) design decisions that hearken back to the first. The main one is having to stay put in one area while wave after wave of baddies are thrown your way. While it doesn't seem to be as prevalent this time, it's still around enough to be annoying.

I can't ding it too much, though. The story, voice acting and overall gameplay are still top-notch in my book - among the best I've ever experienced. I'm also looking forward to seeing what's on the bonus disc for those of us who bought the limited edition.

Vash
11-15-04, 02:16 PM
The bonus disk is crunchy, and delicious with ketchup. It's worth the $5 you paid for it (and that superb metal packaging).

Interesting bit of rumor right here - Slashdot is reporting that after the credits run when beating the game on Legendary, it displays the message, "Coming February 9th." (http://games.slashdot.org/)

More Halo? Downloadable content? Complete BS? I dunno yet, but I think I'm gonna skip Heroic difficulty and go to Legendary to check it out.

saturnotaku
11-15-04, 04:16 PM
If that's all it says, I'm not gonna bother until I've played it on heroic. My guess would probably be some downloadable content - perhaps some additional single-player missions, a la Ninja Gaiden Hurricane Pack 2. I would be shocked if it was a Halo 3 and/or Xbox 2 announcement.

Vash
11-15-04, 05:35 PM
Ditto. I have no idea what it is, or if we should call shenanigans on Slashdot - but in all likelihood it's BS and the more I think about it, the more that makes sense.

Move along, nothing to see here. ;)

circuitbreaker8
11-15-04, 06:21 PM
man..I just cant get into this game....it reaks of the first one if u ask me.

I wonder why....perhaps its because....its Halo.....TWO. Keyword=TWO

Graphicmaniac
11-16-04, 05:31 PM
ops.. can somebody delete my message?
i have confused halo2 with Half life 2 ops sorrrrry!

intercede007
11-16-04, 07:05 PM
Halo 2 r0xorz my b0xorz!!! :D

My first "splurge" after putting my house and vehicles back together after hurricane Ivan, and it's been worth every second of the wait!!

I absolutely devoured Halo 1, flaws and all. My fiancee is going to be sleeping by herself tonight, because I don't see myself going into the bedroom until dawn ;)

Now I just have to get off my butt and get a subscription to XBOX Live and I'll be all set.

circuitbreaker8
11-16-04, 10:27 PM
Man, you guys HAVE to play this game atleast 2 times through to see everything. I missed so many little things playing it the first time through, now i'm exploring the levels and stuff, its awesome. I really need to get XBL!

zoomy942
11-19-04, 11:49 AM
i want it on PC!! :fu: :argh: :(

Mr.Clawz950
11-20-04, 01:45 AM
I absolutely love the game. Playing it in Co-op with a friend all the way thru. The dual wield is certianly a nice touch (anything dual rifle/needler is good). I'm playing it out on my 65" Mitsubishi HDTV. Sure as hell can't miss anything, thats for sure.

intercede007
11-20-04, 09:51 AM
i want it on PC!! :fu: :argh: :(

I have a strong suspicion that it just wouldn't be the same.

saturnotaku
11-20-04, 10:32 AM
I have a strong suspicion that it just wouldn't be the same.

No suspicion needed. You would be right.

intercede007
11-20-04, 10:50 AM
No suspicion needed. You would be right.

Hey sat, are you on Live?

circuitbreaker8
11-20-04, 01:48 PM
Man, this game is HARD on heroic!! Jesus christ, makes the game so much better though. You actually have to plan your way through levels and stuff. I loved the earth levels though, it seems like they had the most thought put into them. MP is really taking to much of my time though, I dont think i've played anything like it! I was just playing with 3 other people on my freinds 65" Mitsubishi HDTV projection, it was amazing! Not to mention this game has THE best use of 5.1 sound in any game :D