PDA

View Full Version : ATI vs NVIDIA


Pages : [1] 2

UDawg
11-13-02, 02:42 PM
Why are people so beholden to one company and flame the other.
I REALLY! don't understand this whole so called "war". I believe that most gamers are like me and just want the best video card we can get our hands on. Competition is the way to get the best solutions to market.


signed
:confused:

DaveW
11-13-02, 02:48 PM
We shall fight them on the Dells. We shall fight them on the Compaqs. We shall fight them on the servers, on the desktops, and on the laptops. But we will never, ever surrender.

UDawg
11-13-02, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by DaveW
We shall fight them on the Dells. We shall fight them on the Compaqs. We shall fight them on the servers, on the desktops, and on the laptops. But we will never, ever surrender.



LOL! good call Winston.

sancheuz
11-13-02, 03:08 PM
That is why i'm getting an nv30. Yep nvidia rules ati sucks. nv30 will be 10x faster then r300. wooo yeah.

Chalnoth
11-13-02, 10:49 PM
Right now, the primary reason I'm sticking with supporting nVidia is simply because of their Linux support. I just found out that they do offer Cg for Linux right now, which means I'm definitely going to try to get an NV30 to work on next year!

NV30 Desirer
11-14-02, 01:24 AM
nVidia because: Every ATi card i have ever used had had stability/locking up issues in the games i play, mostly flight simulators. FS2002 locked up after 10 seconds. My GF4 is dead stable in all these games, i don't want to deal with something that won't work out of the box. W/ nVidia i can just pop in the card, install the drivers and play instead of tweaking crap with ATi to get things stable.

SavagePaladin
11-14-02, 04:15 AM
The only thing I'm at war with is advertising. Which Intel is the worst offender of all.

I don't need people to tell me how much faster their stuff is, when in reality...it isn't that much faster.

UDawg
11-14-02, 10:59 AM
I have to agree with the stability issue, that is why I also have been using nvidia since the tnt2u. I just like that there is another big company out there than can give us an option and push nvidia and maybe win me over to them.

saturnotaku
11-14-02, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by UDawg71
I just like that there is another big company out there than can give us an option and push nvidia and maybe win me over to them.

I like having another real competitor around because that will force NVIDIA to make its products even better. :D

ReDeeMeR
11-14-02, 11:52 AM
For me it all comes to price/preformance, I've never had Ati but imo theyr gpu's are very good and getting only better, while I'm really disgusted by Intel mhz strategy and every asshole with deep pocket showing off how intel is better, while he is simply being tricked by his lovely corporation...

Intel = Teh Empire

AMD = Rebels

:D

Bigus Dickus
11-14-02, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Chalnoth
Right now, the primary reason I'm sticking with supporting nVidia is simply because of their Linux support. I just found out that they do offer Cg for Linux right now, which means I'm definitely going to try to get an NV30 to work on next year!

You mean that's your "justfication." You will always have nVidia, always have, no matter what ATi does. Whatever area might be left where nVidia leads will be your "reason" for sticking with them. :p

Chalnoth
11-14-02, 02:52 PM
I haven't always liked nVidia, just as I haven't always liked AMD.

CWB
11-14-02, 03:51 PM
Well within the next few weeks, he wont need to go looking for a reason, will he? :D

AngelGraves13
11-14-02, 05:55 PM
I liked Intel better than AMD. Same with Nvidia, liked them better because it's always worked for me and it sounds better than ATI. What kind of a name is ATI anyways? If you're talking computers and you say you have an ATI card and AMD, your computer sounds like crap all ready. Intel and Nvidia, now that sounds like bug bucks. It's all in the name.....that's how they sell it. You have a good name and you get more people.......and if the product is good, those people become your loyal fans.

5150 Joker
11-14-02, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Cat Called Domino
I liked Intel better than AMD. Same with Nvidia, liked them better because it's always worked for me and it sounds better than ATI. What kind of a name is ATI anyways? If you're talking computers and you say you have an ATI card and AMD, your computer sounds like crap all ready. Intel and Nvidia, now that sounds like bug bucks. It's all in the name.....that's how they sell it. You have a good name and you get more people.......and if the product is good, those people become your loyal fans.


I hope you're not serious. That was some idiotic reasoning--it reminded me of how some people vote soley based on smear ad campaigns.

AngelGraves13
11-14-02, 08:24 PM
actually I'm not.....lol. I used to have 3dfx cards and even used AMD. I didn't like AMD, Intel is always my top choice. Plus the naming they use for AMD is confusing.... And as for ATI, I've had 3 cards by them and I sold 'em all off and got Geforces. Nvidia is my choice because their stuff just works.....

ReDeeMeR
11-14-02, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Cat Called Domino
I liked Intel better than AMD. Same with Nvidia, liked them better because it's always worked for me and it sounds better than ATI. What kind of a name is ATI anyways? If you're talking computers and you say you have an ATI card and AMD, your computer sounds like crap all ready. Intel and Nvidia, now that sounds like bug bucks. It's all in the name.....that's how they sell it. You have a good name and you get more people.......and if the product is good, those people become your loyal fans.

rolfmfao...

no comments....

AngelGraves13
11-14-02, 10:01 PM
rolfmfao...

What the hell does that mean?

thcdru2k
11-14-02, 11:27 PM
rolling on the floor laughing my ass off.

i found my self just laughing from reading that :)

SavagePaladin
11-14-02, 11:46 PM
The difference between ATI and AMD stuff is that AMD stuff works right
:D

AngelGraves13
11-15-02, 01:47 AM
well it's good to know you guys can take a joke. lol. But seriously the new ATI card is great and AMD is great too. But I prefer Nvidis and Intel any day. I ahte all that free software that ATI cards bring, their DVD software players suck. NVDVD on the other hand is very good, although we have to pay for it now! I'm interested in the new Intel with hyper-threading. Isn't that just two processors in one??

SavagePaladin
11-15-02, 01:51 AM
Pfft, not even close.

What it can help with is repetitve things. Games it doesn't help with at all, supposedly. But what it actiually does is load the processor with two times as much, so that any unused instructions are now used.

Fairly inefficient, but does work for some stuff...

AngelGraves13
11-15-02, 01:59 AM
What if the game supports multiple processors? Like Doom III will support multiple processors.

StealthHawk
11-15-02, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Cat Called Domino
What if the game supports multiple processors? Like Doom III will support multiple processors.

is that a fact? just like Quake3? which receives little to no performance boost with HyperThreading, let alone an actual second CPU.

StealthHawk
11-15-02, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by 5150 Joker
I hope you're not serious. That was some idiotic reasoning--it reminded me of how some people vote soley based on smear ad campaigns.

maybe the part about how he said he likes the names better so the company must be better. but brand recognition definitely plays a big role in the success of the company.