PDA

View Full Version : Poor poor poor and poorer D3D performance, im ready to give up

Pages : [1] 2

Parts
11-03-04, 04:37 PM
Hi I have a BFG 6800GT and I can run the doom 3 timedemo, which is openGL right? at around 75fps at high quality 1024x768.. (which seems normal for my system)

but when I run the halo timedemo at -timedemo -use20 -vidmode 1024,768... I get

Average frame rate=39.83fps
Below 5fps= 16% (time) 0% (frames) (19.231s spent in 13 frames)
Below 10fps= 16% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 15fps= 17% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 20fps= 17% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 25fps= 18% (time) 1% (frames)
Below 30fps= 20% (time) 2% (frames)
Below 40fps= 35% (time) 16% (frames)
Below 50fps= 64% (time) 47% (frames)
Below 60fps= 92% (time) 86% (frames)

and BF1942 runs like a piece of crap too.

2004-11-03 12:47:58 - BF1942
Frames: 29685 - Time: 401244ms - Avg: 73.982 - Min: 42 - Max: 98

Whats with the super low performance? 5950's did better than that.

ive posted around in some other forums but like 1 person gives an answer that doesnt really help then the thread dies, so i thought i might aswell try here also. i didnt spend near $700 CDN on this thing for this bad performance, I want to smash the f@cking thing.

------
p4 3.0
asus p4c800e-deluxe
corsair xms memory 1gb dual channel
160gb seagate baracudda

theultimo
11-03-04, 04:53 PM
with aa/af options are you using? drivers?

Parts
11-03-04, 04:59 PM
aa/af disabled, 66.81 drivers

do aa/af increase performance? i thought they made image quality better = worse performance.. which is why they are off.

Q
11-03-04, 05:01 PM
Have you checked VSYNC? That's could cap your fps ....and if the action got too heavy and VSYNC couldn't keep up it could half your fps. I always had VSYNC enabled with my 9800 pro and never had any problems...but my 6800 Ultra is particular about it. Within Halo, what is your Sync option? I can tell its not the 30fps, but is vsync enabled or not?

Also, what drivers are you using? I use the 65.73s, good IQ and performance...try the ritual reinstall of whatever drivers your using...probably should use the 61.77 in your case just to be sure there's no beta problems...this could help. Make sure that you don't have AA set to like 8x or anything, too! =D

I've never played BF1942...so I'm not sure what specific help I can give you there. Halo, however....is one of the most cruddy ports in the history of bad coding. It doesn't look all that great, but the performance wouln't let you know that. You really should check your vsync options though....all that time under 60 fps....

Have you cleaned your system of any spyware? I always run Adaware and Spybot first off when I have any sort of problems..... I doubt this, as Doom would come to a screeching halt....

But hey, Parts, stick in there man. I know your frustrated. I had followed ATI for a long time, and made the switch over this summer. Between the misadvertised OVP features (i wont say broken...), and the terribly grainy textures in games like Vice City...and the shimmering...and the poor mip map transitions....I was about ready to throw the card out the window! But there are two reasons that I'm stickin with it. (minus the fact it cost $500+ =D ) The first is that ATI has problems too...different ones...some say better or worse...so it just depends on what set of problems you like to have! Regardless of the company, something will suck, I promise you.

The second reason....and most important...is that Nvidia is known for driver miracles. If and when this next driver comes out, I'm expecting a plethora of fixes. Heck, maybe some performance increases too, and WMV decoding support. This is what I'm hoping that this driver wait is for.

So dude, don't give up hope...I know you want things to work straight out of the box when you lay down that much cash...but likely you just need to check some vsync options/performance options and reinstall the driver. Stick in there and let us know if any of this helped.

Q
11-03-04, 05:03 PM
i write a monologue and by the time i post it, there are 2 responses that say what i had to say in like....2 blurbs....
:rolleyes:

Parts
11-03-04, 05:13 PM
Vsync is perma off in my settings, and I still was getting that lame o Halo timedemo. AA/AF to disabled, no spyware, no virus, im always on top of my security.. tried reinstalling the 66.81 driver but same problems... ran driver cleaner on it too before reinstalling... guess ill give a different driver a go and see how it is... but correct me if im wrong... the Doom 3 timedemo at HQ 1024x768 getting 74-76 FPS is normal right? just so I know this IS a d3d problem.

something i should mention that shouldnt coincide with my D3D problem is that when I got the BFG 6800 GT OC, it wasnt OC'd out of the box so Iflashed it with the BFG bios from mkv or whatever that site was to get it to default settings... was having poor performance before the flash though too.

fivefeet8
11-03-04, 05:13 PM
At lower resolutions with no AA/AF, your pretty much CPU limited in any game. Also, something must be wrong with your system. Here is what I got with the Halo Timedemo at 1024x768, 16xAF.

Total Time=74.37s
Average frame rate=63.20fps
Below 5fps= 12% (time) 0% (frames) (9.658s spent in 12 frames)
Below 10fps= 13% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 15fps= 13% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 20fps= 13% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 25fps= 14% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 30fps= 14% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 40fps= 24% (time) 6% (frames)
Below 50fps= 39% (time) 17% (frames)
Below 60fps= 58% (time) 32% (frames)

Here at 1280x1024, 16xAF. Both of these runs were done while Myie2 was running.

Total Time=88.00s
Average frame rate=53.41fps
Below 5fps= 6% (time) 0% (frames) (6.120s spent in 10 frames)
Below 10fps= 7% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 15fps= 7% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 20fps= 7% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 25fps= 14% (time) 3% (frames)
Below 30fps= 27% (time) 9% (frames)
Below 40fps= 40% (time) 18% (frames)
Below 50fps= 48% (time) 24% (frames)
Below 60fps= 58% (time) 35% (frames)

I know my Overclocked 6800 ultra is faster than your GT, but it shouldn't be by that much. Hmm.. Might be the drivers. I'm using the 66.77 forcewares.

thylantyr
11-03-04, 06:35 PM
Poor performance. Like mentioned already, check for software 'bloat' running in the 'backround' that eats CPU
performance.

Got gremlins?

NightFire
11-03-04, 06:56 PM
Also, make sure your inert NH4ClO4 (Ammonium Chlorate) temporal bypass solutions are operating at 100% efficiency or you may suffer multipass OFDM interference with radio interferometer wavelengths.

One final thought, always keep a PCl (Potassium Chloride) mixuture handy in case random spark proton irregularities are apt to cause neutronic polar emissions.

Note: I have no idea what I just said.

iyos
11-03-04, 07:01 PM
I had a similar problem, new PC:

AMD64 3800+
1GB Dual DDR400 Corsair XMPRO @ 2-2-2-5
Asus A8V Rev.2
Raptor HDD
XFX GeForce 6800GT @ 410/1100

I was getting 60fps on the Doom3 timedemo - which was exceedingly bent.

I followed this 'Services Tweaking' guide by Black Viper:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

I used the 'Power User' settings, and got a 35fps boost, up to 95 in the same demo.

I'm running XP w/SP2.

Also, make sure your chipset drivers are up-to-date.

Parts
11-03-04, 07:14 PM
Average frame rate=46.94fps
Below 5fps= 18% (time) 0% (frames) (18.677s spent in 13 frames)
Below 10fps= 18% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 15fps= 19% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 20fps= 19% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 25fps= 19% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 30fps= 20% (time) 1% (frames)
Below 40fps= 28% (time) 6% (frames)
Below 50fps= 42% (time) 20% (frames)
Below 60fps= 68% (time) 50% (frames)
Memory used Max=162MB, Min=131MB, Ave=150MB

Thats what i got with 66.77 drivers, still pretty bad compared to others.... even Nvnews' own benchmark of the card got better with higher res with a similar system, similar enough that it shouldnt be a 30 FPS difference on a way higher res argh.

I updated bios with the Asus auto updater to the latest... that doesnt update the chipset aswell?

I used that guys tweak guide a long time ago for SP1.. should try it for SP2

MUYA
11-03-04, 08:08 PM
Maybe you just haven't installed motherboard adrivers properly? even the nvidia drivers etc.

How did you get yer setup up and running? Were you running a ATi card before? If so make sure you have deleted all traces of ATi drivers using driver cCleaner from driverheaven etc.

Fresh install is the best way and most painstaking I know...but moving to a new graphics card powered by a anotehr IHV from another one...fresh format install is usally the best approach.

Parts
11-03-04, 10:15 PM
Maybe you just haven't installed motherboard adrivers properly? even the nvidia drivers etc.

How did you get yer setup up and running? Were you running a ATi card before? If so make sure you have deleted all traces of ATi drivers using driver cCleaner from driverheaven etc.

Fresh install is the best way and most painstaking I know...but moving to a new graphics card powered by a anotehr IHV from another one...fresh format install is usally the best approach.

Was running a Geforce MX440 before

Used Asus updater to update the bios (which updates the chipset etc right?) its 1.18 I think now, the newest bios

Uninstalled drivers, rebooted, ran cleaner, rebooted, installed drivers... no change in performance.. a little better with 66.77 drivers, but I still get from 50-80 FPS AVG on BF1942 on 1024x768, no aa/af and vsync off

You think a full reinstall of windows would fix it? id like to use that as a last resort since i have a ton of stuff id need to backup.

Can someone tell me what to look for in bios settings that might make it faster? or what the optimal driver settings are? or is no vsync no aa/af optimal?........... Youre all right though, this is REALLY frusterating.

Hyper threading wouldnt be the problem right?..... Or could my monitor be the problem? 1024x768 is the highest I can go at 85hertz refresh... im just fishing for possibilities now, i waited over 3 months for the thing and RMAing it if this is an internal card problem (since it wasnt even OC out of the box) just pisses me off more.

MUYA
11-03-04, 10:39 PM
Motherboard drivers are different to a bios update. So download the latest motherboard drivers.

then proceed to safe mode, remove all drivers including motherboard and graphics.

then reboot

then install motherboard drivers

then install graphic drivers

thats the only thing I can think of.

Parts
11-04-04, 01:39 AM
Got the latest drivers from here for my chipset http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filter.asp?ProductID=1043

did what you said. reinstalled 66.77 nvidia drivers... results.... well... read the title of this thread again

Doom 3 timedemo stayed the same at around 76-77fps with 1024x768 no aa/af no vsync... halo timedemo still suck ass with 50 FPS@1024x768 no aa/af vsync off

I emailed BFG about getting a GT OC that wasnt OC and the poor performance and they said it could just be a faulty card and to return it.

on a side note... ya know how most gpu have the "hide options that cant be used" for the monitor? my other one does and its on a TNT2... well I cant use those options on this Geforce 6800GT for some reason it just shows every refresh rate and res... that a bug too? maybe it is just a faulty card

Decimator
11-04-04, 07:43 AM
Dunno about Halo, though I understand there's a patch for it that helps performance, as far as Battlefield 1942 goes, I've got a very similar rig to you and I get better FPS than that in Battlefield *Vietnam* (with absolutely everything on) so there's obviously something wrong with your setup somewhere, the only things I can think of are a) spyware b) viruses or (I know I've said this before on this forum) c) a stick of memory going bad (happened to me) which you can test for with Memtest86+

You change the refresh rates with a tab on your Nvidia Control Panel called refresh rate overrides, though I would check your manual to make sure your monitor can handle it first, but it won't affect your fps, which is measured according to the number of frames per second the card is producing rather than the number your screen is displaying.

MUYA
11-04-04, 08:04 AM
hmm I get better Halo results but the Doom III timedemo is aboiut the same as me, and I have an 6800 Ultra. With 4X AA and 8X AF (enabled by default by Doom III when set to High Quality). I get 55 fps or so at 1024 by 768. I get 50 FPS at 1280 by 1024.

I don't have Battlefield so can't comment on that.

winton
11-04-04, 08:38 AM
Also, make sure your inert NH4ClO4 (Ammonium Chlorate) temporal bypass solutions are operating at 100% efficiency or you may suffer multipass OFDM interference with radio interferometer wavelengths.

One final thought, always keep a PCl (Potassium Chloride) mixuture handy in case random spark proton irregularities are apt to cause neutronic polar emissions.

Note: I have no idea what I just said.

ClO4- is perchlorate
ClO3- is chlorate
ClO2- is chlorite
ClO- is hypochlorite

Ack potassium is K!

Just wanted to be anal.......
:sry:

Anyway your D3D performance could be affected by many factors I wouldn't go smashing your video card yet........

tobywong
11-04-04, 09:40 AM
Are you running a crazy overclock on your GPU?

It's possible you are seeing throttling.

JoKeRr
11-04-04, 10:13 AM
give it to me. :lol2:

Parts
11-04-04, 02:35 PM
No OCing, in fact its underclocked because its a BFG 6800 GT OC... that never came OC'd out of the box (350), which is another reason that it could just be a bad card

And yeah Muya... thats what I was thinking... OpenGL (doom 3) seems to run fine.. but D3D games like Halo and BF run baaadd

Parts
11-04-04, 07:26 PM
Well, exchanged the card for a new one since the core clock was messed up, the new one has the right clock, no change in performance though... gonna reformat and start over... get back to ya all soon

MustangSVT
11-04-04, 08:22 PM
Your results are awfully low. Here's what I get from timedemo at 1280x960, all details on/high, 16xAF:

Average frame rate=52.83fps
Below 5fps= 18% (time) 0% (frames) (16.584s spent in 13 frames)
Below 10fps= 19% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 15fps= 19% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 20fps= 19% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 25fps= 20% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 30fps= 20% (time) 1% (frames)
Below 40fps= 31% (time) 7% (frames)
Below 50fps= 40% (time) 15% (frames)
Below 60fps= 58% (time) 33% (frames)

This is with Athlon XP @ 2400MHz, 1GB DDR400, and a 6800 GT at stock 350/1000 (I normally keep it at 400/1100), ForceWare 65.73 drivers. Let me put it this way:

- try unninstalling the nVIDIA display drivers, then use Driver Cleaner to clean any remaining parts of them
- install ForceWare 61.77
- install DirectX 9.0c
- install motherboard chipset drivers for your i865PE/i875P (if you haven't already)
- do a adware check with Lavasoft Ad-Aware and SpyBot S&D
- check your display driver settings, and make sure VSync is turned off, and put AF to around 8x for Halo in the profiler
- turn AGP Fast Writes off through your BIOS
- install latest patch for Halo
- defragment all partitions of your hard-drive(s)

Parts
11-04-04, 09:03 PM
I did all that you listed and nothing worked before, so its come to my last resort so my other computer is reformatting as I type this for a fresh install of everything.... its been reccomended so many times by different people... so I just am doing it. Because nothing else worked

MustangSVT
11-04-04, 10:14 PM
I doubt you managed to de-frag your HDD in 30 minutes, considering you probably didn't see my post until when you replied (so you didn't really do anything). :retard:

I really think the problem here is you either forgot to install mobo chipset drivers, DX 9.0c, and that you should try 61.77. You haven't mentioned anywhere you've tried 61.77, or Driver Clean to complete clean your system of drivers before re-installing them.