PDA

View Full Version : Pentium M kicks AMD64 and P4 butts

Pages : [1] 2

nVestor
11-04-04, 01:37 PM
DFI® Brings Dothan to Performance Desktop Computing (http://www.dfi.com.tw/Press/press_header_content_us.jsp?PAGE_TYPE=US&TITLE_ID=4652&LINKED_URL=arch333.jsp&SITE=NA)
DFI ® Brings Dothan to Performance Desktop Computing
- The new Pentium M based 855GME-MGF “green motherboard” aims at energy-conscious enthusiasts who demand the best cool and quiet platform for overclocking or underclocking --

DFI, maker of the award-winning LANParty™ and record-scoring LANPartyUT series of motherboards, today launched industry's most enthusiasts-oriented desktop Pentium M motherboard, 855GME-MGF. Based on the Intel mobile 855GME/6300 ESB chipset and supports socket 479 Pentium M processors, this motherboard merges cutting edge mobile technology and performance potentials onto an environmentally friendly platform. Its low heat generation, virtually fan less operation and performance-oriented design makes the new 855GME-MGF the perfect solution for small home servers, silent home theater PCs, or blazing fast gaming systems.

Designed with versatility in mind, the 855GME-MGF is based on the standard micro ATX form factor and features support for low latency DDR333 memory and AGP 4X. Similar to the CPU socket used in notebooks, the motherboard features a low profile CPU socket that fully supports socket 479 Pentium M and Celeron M processors with 0.09 µm Dothan or 0.13 µm Banias core. Migrating the mobile chipset and CPU platform to the desktop means DFI users can now truly enjoy green computing without the expense of performance degradation. From lowered energy consumption, low heat generation, low noise generation to a possible fan-less system design, the 855GME-MGF motherboard promises more than any current desktop can deliver.

In addition to the green features of this motherboard, DFI's 855GME-MGF also brings performance desktop computing to a new height. “In general application performance, a 2GHz Pentium M actually outperformed the desktop chips and even in gaming and workstation applications the Pentium M was competitive, all while running at significantly lower temperatures with much lower power requirements.” said Anand Lal Shimpi, Editor-in-Chief of Anandtech.

To equip overclockers with the best platform to work with, DFI's new Pentium M desktop motherboard boasts a robust BIOS that is packed with optimization options at the widest ranges. Advanced BIOS features include adjustable CPU clock (100 to 250 MHz), adjustable CPU ratio (6 to infinite), adjustable FSB to memory ratio (1:1, 4:3, 5:3), asynchronized PCI/AGP modes (33/66, 36/73, 40/80), and built in stability testing for both memory and CPU. In intensive gaming, DFI's new 855GME-MGF with an overclocked 2.8 GHz Pentium M processor flies past competing platforms with ease. Compared to the performance of Athlon64 4000+ and Pentium 4 3.4 GHz Extreme Edition in Doom3, DFI's new solution tops the chart with a large margin lead (see chart).

The DFI 855GME-MGF will start shipping in North America through DFI's authorized distributors and resellers starting November 8, 2004. Each motherboard is bundled with a specially designed heatsink/fan to ensure highest compatibility.
For more information on its complete specifications and where to buy, please visit http://www.dfi.com.tw.
For the complete article on Anand's Pentium M test, please go to http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2264&p=4.
Wow... kick@ss! :drooling: :drooling: :drooling: :drooling:

red_star
11-04-04, 02:06 PM
http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=mozclient&u=http%3A//www.x86-secret.com/popups/articleswindow.php%3Fid%3D113

ragejg
11-04-04, 02:17 PM
It is a heck of a cpu... now, what will these cost? And when will that mobo come to the US?

ynnek
11-04-04, 02:37 PM
Nice.. This may be the basis for my next HTPC to replace my noisy Shuttle SS51G

red_star
11-04-04, 02:44 PM
Pentium M is a cpu derived from P3, and Intel should go for it! They should drop the current Prescott and EE line...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-111-161&depa=0

Intel Pentium M 755 2.0 GHz, 400MHz FSB, on-die 2MB L2 Cache - Retail
$439.00

It's socket 478, so I guess it can run fine on i865/875 mobos with 478 socket

Correct me if I'm wrong...

If so this CPU can be overclocked really easy...

-=DVS=-
11-04-04, 02:45 PM
Yeah Mobile Pentium does kick ass , i wonder is it hard to OC to 2.8Ghz , more benchmarks would be good to.

ynnek
11-04-04, 02:46 PM
you're wrong.. different pinout.

ragejg
11-04-04, 02:55 PM
yeah, it's compact format socket 479. Also the mem controller only goes up to ddr333, and and the AGP is only 4x.

but DANG, nice performance, wonder how much these willl cost.

Bill The Cat
11-04-04, 03:03 PM
Found this press release on HardOCP today: http://www.dfi.com.tw/Press/press_header_content_us.jsp?PAGE_TYPE=US&TITLE_ID=4652&LINKED_URL=arch333.jsp&SITE=NA

- The new Pentium M based 855GME-MGF “green motherboard” aims at energy-conscious enthusiasts who demand the best cool and quiet platform for overclocking or underclocking --

Remember that Dothans run at different voltages and FSB's, so you'll need a board such as this that's spec'd for the processor.

EDIT: Doh, already posted two threads down.

nVestor
11-04-04, 03:07 PM
Found this press release on HardOCP today: http://www.dfi.com.tw/Press/press_header_content_us.jsp?PAGE_TYPE=US&TITLE_ID=4652&LINKED_URL=arch333.jsp&SITE=NA

Remember that Dothans run at different voltages and FSB's, so you'll need a board such as this that's spec'd for the processor.

merge request

ragejg
11-04-04, 03:11 PM
merge request granted!

:D

nVestor
11-04-04, 03:13 PM
I'm curious what the mileage might be with some watercooling and a bit of voltage. This things run far more efficient than the big brother P4's do, should be interesting.

Great to see DFI bring it to the table, however I am curious if this won't be the short time performance solution brought on by Intel, just until the Dual Core CPU's arrive. I mean, how many quarters can this company keep losing here?

EDIT: Merge request... lol, I like that. Thought my thread was a tad more conservative/polite than saying, "Pentium M r0x0rz teh BIG one111!!!" :D

EDIT 2: lmao...

Pandora's Box
11-04-04, 03:38 PM
anyone else a little suspicous? pentium mobile based on p3 beating amd64 in gaming. hmmmm

Dazz
11-04-04, 04:43 PM
What gives the Pentium M an advantage is it's 2MB 256bit cache @ 2.55Ghz = 81.6GB/sec internal cache bandwith (A64 4000+ = 38.4GB.)

john19055
11-04-04, 08:18 PM
If it is base off the P3 then it should be good since a P3 1g was just as fast as a AMD 1g.

coldpower27
11-04-04, 08:24 PM
This is great news, wow Pentium M performance finally arrives for the desktop, so now their maybe hope for the Dual Core Yonah to arrive on Desktop as well hopefully :D

bkswaney
11-04-04, 10:23 PM
This is great news, wow Pentium M performance finally arrives for the desktop, so now their maybe hope for the Dual Core Yonah to arrive on Desktop as well hopefully :D

I'm very happy to see this.

I might grab this DFI mobo and the cheapest PM
and see what I can get out of it. :D

red_star
11-04-04, 11:15 PM
And why the Intel is so slow in bringing Pentium M for the desktop?

I think that future Pentium M will get additional SSE3 instructions, 64bit feature and HT2 feature, and finally prescott will be dropped and EE as well.

We are talking here about Pentium M DDR333 and AGP4x and performance is :lol2:

CaptNKILL
11-04-04, 11:25 PM
Ok, who runs Doom 3 at those settings and has a CPU like that :wtf:

No doubt thats impressive, but itd be more impressive to see real world gaming performance. People dont buy that kind of hardware to run at the lowest possible settings just because their CPU works best that way.

FastM
11-04-04, 11:49 PM
But it dont have that onboard memory controller :D

-=DVS=-
11-05-04, 12:25 AM
Ok, who runs Doom 3 at those settings and has a CPU like that :wtf:

No doubt thats impressive, but itd be more impressive to see real world gaming performance. People dont buy that kind of hardware to run at the lowest possible settings just because their CPU works best that way.

Becouse at higher res you get GPU limited and not cpu (scores would be much closer to eatch other) , at lower res is much easyer to mesure speed of CPU.
And Doom 3 is perfect for that not only its heavy in graphics but good CPU benchamrk also :D

CaptNKILL
11-05-04, 12:38 AM
Becouse at higher res you get GPU limited and not cpu (scores would be much closer to eatch other) , at lower res is much easyer to mesure speed of CPU.
And Doom 3 is perfect for that not only its heavy in graphics but good CPU benchamrk also :D
Yeah, I realize its easier to measure the speed of the CPU, but of course theres going to be a difference at 640x480. People see that and think that its a much faster CPU but at 1280x960, high quality theres probably less than 10fps difference from top to bottom on that list, and probably less than 1fps difference between the P4M 2.8 and the closest competing chip.

No doubt that shows its the fastest one, but outside of horribly low quality benchmarks, theres probably no noticeable difference between that and the AMD chip that it beats the crap out of on that chart.

EDIT: Also, none of those frame rates are even within the range that the game will play at (max of 60fps) outside of the benchmark, so... woohoo, if you buy that you can get super smooth framerates in the Doom 3 timedemo at the lowest settings possible.

Sorry for thread crapping, but if they wanted to impress people they probably should have chosen something a little more meaningful to benchmark.

Graphicmaniac
11-05-04, 03:16 AM
Look that 4000+ is just clocked 2,4 .. and wins over the 2,5Ghz Pentium M

a 2,8 A64 (1MB cache) will win over the Pentium M 2,8

nVestor
11-05-04, 09:57 AM
What you fail to understand is there is plenty of headroom for the Pentium M core. This is just a 2Ghz CPU that has been overclocked to a mere 2.8Ghz. You still have a significant amount of ramping that can be done. With all the changes going on in Intel's roadmap, instead of cancelling the Pentium M sometime in 05, they could actually extend it. Maybe even ramp up to 3.6Ghz. :)

2Ghz is a long ways away from 3.6, and it could be possible. They already have 2MB of cache on die, they can always increase this as well. You just never know with Intel. :)

coldpower27
11-06-04, 03:09 PM
Pentium M, doesn't need Hyper Threading anyway with the Yonah P6 Dual Core on the horizon, same thing with the Smithfield Net Burst Core, both won't have Hyper Threading the in the case of Smithfield disabled.

Imagine what a Pentium M could do if it had the advanatges the K8 enjoys now:P

Here are some rather interesting improvements I would like in the Pentium M

Integrated Memory Controller for DDR2-533 and higher with Dual Channel
SSE3 Instruction set
64 Bit Extensions
More LV1 Cache
More LV2 Cache
Additional FP units?

Dunno what they could do to furhter improve the core though..