PDA

View Full Version : Onboard Video functionality looking up.

Pages : [1] 2

ChrisRay
11-04-04, 03:11 PM
Looks like towards the end of November you guys can expect something big from Nvidia in this department. I've been taking a sneak peak at some of the of the upcoming addresses to this issue and some of you will be pleasantly surprised.

Though I cant be too paticularly. The most interesting is some in depth look at the video processor on the 6800 and how its going to really help offload resources from the CPU. But you shouldnt be surprised if there are some quality improvements too. Paticularity to digital content. Video is going to be handled quite different from previous architecures.

tobywong
11-04-04, 03:24 PM
I started to read something or other about 6800 video but then I got distracted by that waggling ass... can you please repeat that? ^_^

fivefeet8
11-04-04, 03:42 PM
Cool. Great news indeed. Leave it up to Nvidia's driver team to create a small miracle. ;)

Morrow
11-04-04, 04:05 PM
I definitely hope that there is something true about those "video functionality not broken on 6x00 cards" rumours.

WMV9 HDTV decoding and MPEG-2 encoding are two features which I really don't want to miss

K007
11-04-04, 06:27 PM
Does this big thing cover the broken video problem in the current 6800 series? Or are they planning to replace it for us for free...now that would be nice :D

zeejay
11-04-04, 06:35 PM
Awesome, I hope it turns out that everything works perfectly and all these rumors are just BS.

theultimo
11-04-04, 07:40 PM
Does this big thing cover the broken video problem in the current 6800 series? Or are they planning to replace it for us for free...now that would be nice :D

I think all we need are drivers that support more then MPEG-2 at the moment..

Zetto
11-04-04, 11:09 PM
I seriously expect that nvidia is gonna introduce a refresh with full video processor. 6800 is NOT gonna work with it me thinks. BUT: I'll be happy to be proven wrong :D

EDIT: doh, spelling... and grammar... and stuff :retard:

ChrisRay
11-05-04, 01:34 AM
I seriously expect that nvidia is gonna introduce a refresh with full video processor. 6800 is gonna work wit it me thinks. BUT: I'll be happy to be proven wrong :D

;)

ssj4goku887
11-05-04, 07:58 AM
heh. usualy when something doesnt work properly people are like o its broken and dont investigate at all and they just tell everyone its broken and then it spreads bla bla it happends with everything. :\

Chippy
11-05-04, 08:36 AM
Personally, I am 100% convinced that the video processor on the 6800 is at least partially broken. (On the silicon that's already out in the market - no doubt they will fix it/have fixed it with later steppings.)

On the other hand, its clear that it does work partially, since DVD Mpeg2 acceleration is actually pretty good.

My personal take is that they will come up with some new drivers that "improve" the situation with HD WMV decoding, by making best use of the bits that do work. Personally I will be quite happy if they can get CPU utilization down to 50~60~70% so that we can at least get smooth playback and no dropped frames. 20% would be nice, but I don't see that happening.

Chip

11-05-04, 09:32 AM
All PCIE graphics cards did pretty well in WMV HD decoding, all of them can sustain at around 30%(on a P4 3.6G system). Looks like there's sth other than the GPU that matters. The card I tested included X600XT whose architecture is ages old, and its performance is as good as other new big brothers, including 6800/6600/X800/X700.

Chippy
11-05-04, 09:56 AM
All PCIE graphics cards did pretty well in WMV HD decoding, all of them can sustain at around 30%(on a P4 3.6G system). Looks like there's sth other than the GPU that matters. The card I tested included X600XT whose architecture is ages old, and its performance is as good as other new big brothers, including 6800/6600/X800/X700.

I think you are missing the point a bit here. There's a problem with HD WMV decoding with initial 6800 chips, in case you weren't aware of the fact.

Chip

11-05-04, 10:10 AM
No, I didn't, because I own a 6800Ultra myself and I downloaded hundreds of GB of HD stuff from the Internet, the HD decoding means a lot to me.

What I'm saying, is that besides the GPU, other factor in the system may also affect the final result. In other words, if the bottleneck isn't on the GPU side, no matter how hard nVIDIA works, it won't help a lot. Just think, a X600XT WITHOUT hardware WMVHD decoding is already performing equally well with 6600, which is supposed to have full WMVHD acceleration. Of course, the test may not be 100% accurate, it was conducted weeks ago when the nvidia decoder was not available yet. I'll try the decoder when I have a chance to touch those boards next time, hope it'll make some difference.

larsc
11-05-04, 01:24 PM
Rendering a 1080i MPEG-2 transport stream on my XP2400 with and without hw-support from my 6800-card is like night and day. Without, cpu load is 70-75% and I get occasional lag/dropped frames/interlace artifacts. With the nVidia DVD Decoder, cpu load drops to 25-30% for the same material, and the stream is rendered flawlessly.

If they get MPEG-4 support up and running, in particular MPEG-4 on-chip encoding, I'll be a very happy boy. Proper WMV9 hw-support will be a mere bonus, even though it is in the specs/ads.

Ruined
11-05-04, 02:15 PM
I'd just be happy with WMV/MPEG2 encoding... Decoding I dont care too much for because I never watch a movie and do something else CPU intensive at the same time.

larsc
11-05-04, 05:54 PM
Then you're out of luck I think, WMV9 encoding was never a specific part of the deal (afaik, the tech specs list on-chip encoding support for MPEG-1/2/4).

I'm not a big fan of WMV9 anyway, hopefully EBU will go with something else for European HDTV.

Zetto
11-05-04, 06:28 PM
I am pretty confident that WMV9 was part of the specs (initially) Of course, Nvidia pulled that off the net and now no one can tell for sure...

BTW, chrisray, thx for getting the hopes up :drooling: ... and if u dont deliver, beware :bash:

ChrisRay
11-05-04, 08:11 PM
I have never made any specific claims about what functionality will be working and on which products, But there's been alot of people who have been down by the utter lack of support for the onboard video chip. That will soon be a thing of the past.

No more. No less. I believe owners of any NV4x variant chip will be pleasantly surprised by end the of the month.

larsc
11-05-04, 08:30 PM
I am pretty confident that WMV9 was part of the specs (initially) Of course, Nvidia pulled that off the net and now no one can tell for sure...

Encoding? Never. Just sift through the tech previews/reviews at any respectable hardware site.

ChrisRay: Fingers crossed.

911medic
11-05-04, 11:10 PM
Being reported elsewhere as well, everyone:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=1433539&enterthread=y

Waffles
11-06-04, 01:02 AM
Ok, GPUs have been used for general purpose programming such as:
http://graphics.stanford.edu/projects/brookgpu/
This leads me to believe that nvidia is actually going to be offloading the WMV HD decoding in a similiar fashion if they are doing WMV HD decoding at all. Just not using the oringinally intended silicon.

Blink twice Chris if I am getting warmer. ;)

wEEt
11-06-04, 02:50 AM
You're probably talking about a new driver, aren't you?

Quasar
11-07-04, 05:02 PM
According to what i've read and seen, the VP's supposed to have a 16way-integer SIMD-Unit and some other nice little features.

If i were an nvidia-engineer and had knowledge of whether or not this thing is broken on my nV40 (assuming it is...) i'd know exactly where to look for another 16way-SIMD (actually 4 4way-SIMD) which can operate at least with the same precision as any integer unit. ;)

No big deal getting the driver to use this one instead of the other. ;)

larsc
11-07-04, 06:01 PM
Pixel pipelines? oO
But what about LE- and NU-owners? They only have 8 and 12 pipes, respectively. Unless they're lucky enough to get a card with 16 working pipes (4 quads).