PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: better 6800 analog output quality

BlackPearl
11-05-04, 01:41 AM
I like the BFG 6800 OC I've had for a couple of weeks, but I'm not pleased that the analog output is not nearly as sharp as that from my 9600XT or 9800pro (using same cable). The 6800's DVI image is fantastic - does that mean I can rule out driver (66.29) issues? I want to use analog so I can use my vga-only KVM switch to share a display (2001FP) with both computers on my desk. Any ideas on how to improve the analog out?

hazindu
11-05-04, 08:37 AM
I also made the mistake of buying from BFG. It's just a matter of a crappy company using cheap parts. In the rare event that I set my desktop above 1280-1024 75hz the text gets blurry.

Of course, since reviewers rarely touch on this issue, I have no ideal as to which brand I should have bought.

BlackPearl
11-05-04, 08:46 AM
If this is a matter of BFG using substandard DAC's, I guess I can return this card and try another brand. If that's all it is, it's too bad that they compromised the overall quality of the card with a cheap part - the DVI output is very sharp and clear.

Richteralan
11-05-04, 11:33 AM
did you guys tried DVI2D-Sub converter?

ynnek
11-05-04, 11:58 AM
I believe they all use the same DAC's though.... I'm a little skeptical on this claim.... are you sure nothing ha changed, and all the settings are the same, between your ati and nvidia card?

BlackPearl
11-05-04, 01:15 PM
Yes, I started out w/everything at defaults. As I explored this issue, I've tried as many nv control panel settings as I can and there's no significant improvement. I suspect the DAC's because the DVI image quality is excellent, easily as good as the DVI output of the Ati cards. BTW, I wasn't making a claim, I was reporting an observation of my system performance in hopes that I could learn how to get improvement in that one area where it's not totally satisfactory.

I've also tried the BFG-supplied DVI2dsub converter and the image was unchanged from the dsub output.

Thanks for the suggestions.

ynnek
11-05-04, 01:26 PM
what kind of monitor are you using?

BlackPearl
11-05-04, 01:53 PM
Dell 2001FP

ynnek
11-05-04, 02:25 PM
isn't that a LCD?

So you should be running it DVI digital mode, at its native rez anyways.

When you supply a LCD panel an Analog signal, it has to go thru another analog->digital conversion inside the LCD monitor itself.. Therefore, bringing another unknown into the situation.. Suble Changes/differences in timings, refresh rates, etc, could throw the ADC converter in the LCD, especially if you are not running at its native rez and refresh.

Now, if you were running a CRT, then this comparison would be relavent.

Dell 2001FP

BlackPearl
11-05-04, 02:39 PM
I've been running everything at the lcd's native resolution and recommended refresh rate. I hadn't considered the possibility that the display's ADC could be unhappy with the signal provided by the 6800 because it's fine w/the other cards. I'm not sure how to test this, but maybe I will start by trying another display.

Ruined
11-05-04, 03:12 PM
My BFG 6800GT looks fine at 1600x1200 @ 100hz. Then again, I bought one of the early cards which was Nvidia reference design, no idea what they have changed now.