PDA

View Full Version : go5700 driver problem

nackulous
11-05-04, 04:42 AM
I just purchased a HP Pavilion zd7000 laptop that has a 128mb Nvidia GeForce FX Go5700 in it. I am running Win XP Pro SP2. I visited www.nvidia.com and got the latest driver (non beta). I went through the install process and everything seemed golden, until I rebooted. The driver wasn't even installed. Weird b/c nvidia said I needed to reboot and all. So, I went to the device manager and right clicked on the yellow question mark next to "vga display" and told it to update driver. I told it to look in the folder where the driver unpacked itself. It seemed to find it alright and I rebooted for safe measure. After the reboot I went back into the display properties and everything looked right, except the dual monitor option!? This is a laptop with 1 monitor. I noticed that monitor 1 only allows me to go up to 800x600 at 8bit!! while monitor 2 has like 10 different possible options. As soon as I muck with anything my monitor goes to this LOW ass resolution.

I can't seem to figure out how to swap monitor 1 with 2 to get access to these higher resolutions. Then I thought I would try nview manager, b/c I keep noticing discussions about nview manager in here, but for some reason I can't ever get that app to even install b/c of the driver install issues I list above. When I do see it in the control panel, I click on it and NOTHING happens. I have tried almost everything. I just loaded the latest beta driver I could find on www.nvidia.com (66.81) and no luck there either.

I am hoping it something really dumb that I am doing b/c it's like 4am now and my mind isn't working right. Can any of you guys help me out? BTW, when and if I can get this driver working right, are there special resolutions for 17" laptop monitors that have that strange aspect ratio? Right now everything is streeeeetched. It sucks.

nackulous
11-05-04, 10:48 AM
I talked to someone up at HP and got a link to a driver set they had and the guy walked me through it. Everything works now. Man this grahics card is sharp!

rewt
11-05-04, 11:35 AM
I am curious which driver version did they recommend?

andyrock
11-06-04, 08:34 PM
nvidia drivers do not have the info for laptop cards by default. go to http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ and download those INF files - they support all laptop nvidia chips.