PDA

View Full Version : NV Silencer Installation Issues.

Pages : [1] 2

|MaguS|
11-05-04, 08:44 AM
I cannot for the life of me get this thing to install properly. My stock cooler hung around 58C, with the NV5 im at 60C... I have the screws tightened good (don't really know how tight its suppose to be, but I did it untill it would require force, rubber washers are slightly compressed). I really don't know if I got too much AS5 or too little, I reapplied it once already with less then before, how much do you really need? When I take the cooler off, there is some AS5 on the HS so the core is touching it...

How tight should I go? Anyone have a picture of the AS5 properly applied to it? How about the Rubber washers? (So I can compare if I should try Tighening it more...)

Jesus, Core is rising slowly even on the desktop...

Chippy
11-05-04, 08:59 AM
The VGA Silencer for the 6800 is not a brilliant piece of engineering, imho. I think the quality is fairly crappy and it can be quite difficult to make sure everything is making good contact.

But lets think about this logically. We know the VGA Silencer does work on 6800's and produces good results. So why is in not doing so in your case? Well there can be only 2 reasons. Either its not making good contact with the core, or the fan isn't spinning. Have you checked that the fan is working? If yes, then it must be down to the contact between the VGAS and the core.

You say you there is "some" AS on the VGAS off the core. How much? You should be able to see a core-shaped imprint on the bottom of the VGAS. If not, then you haven't applied enough AS. Don't be frightened to use too much - its not like the "thinnest layer possible" situation with CPU's. Of course, don't go mad either - you don't want AS smeared all over everything either.

With regard to the rubber washers, they should/could be quite squished. Make sure you tighten the screws slowly and evenly and look along the card edgeways to make sure the base of the VGAS stays parallel to the core. You should be able to see it touching the core if you look carefully. (BTW make sure also that you have enough AS on all of the memory chips and make sure they are making good contact too.)

One last tip. When tightening the screws, use a SMALL screwdriver and tighten them with your thumb and forefinger only. Its very easy to over tighten if you use a dirty great big screwdriver.

Good luck. Sorry I don't have any photos. If you get really desperate I can whip my GT out and take some photos for you, but this would have to be later on.

Cheers

Chip

tobywong
11-05-04, 09:08 AM
Their quality control seems to be lacking. One of the members posted a pic here of their NV5 and it was completely obvious even from a tiny jpg image that one of the memory contact points was WAY bigger than the rest. Now having said that, I didn't have any problem with mine but I would try setting it on a piece of glass and then looking thru from the bottom to see if all points are making proper contact. If they are, then the issue is with your card and you will either have to modify it or use mucho thermal compound to fill the gaps. If the problem is with the NV5, then you can either try to lap it down or return it for another one. Personally I would try to return it first before I tried anything else.

|MaguS|
11-05-04, 09:23 AM
Ok, after adding alittle more AS5, I got the temps down to 50C-51C, Not bad. Was hoping for more but it might go lower once it settles. Thanks for the hints. Guess it needs alot more then a CPU :o

After acouple mins of the HDR Demo temps were around 67C-68C @ 415/1100 clock. Gonna see how high I can go before EQ2 releases. :D

|MaguS|
11-05-04, 10:31 AM
Oh WTF, My card is again running at 58C on desktop after a driver install. Wont even go lower. Hell Im at stock speeds right now...

TeaEtchSee
11-05-04, 10:55 AM
Oh WTF, My card is again running at 58C on desktop after a driver install. Wont even go lower. Hell Im at stock speeds right now...

it depends on the ENTIRE airflow of your Tower.

How many fans do u have blowin out air and blowin in air?

|MaguS|
11-05-04, 11:13 AM
I have a total of 3 80mm exausts (2 rear and 1 on top), one is out of commision till fan adapter arrives and I have a single 120mm blowing in from the front. Even with the side off, im hitting 53C on stock insted of the 50C I was at when I "fixed" it. Temps rise QUICK!

Is the NV5 suppose to have a mildy weak exaust? I can barely feel it and can mainly tell only if I put a piece of paper to it.

BTW My case is a Silverstone TJ03...
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-tj03.htm

Chippy
11-05-04, 11:29 AM
Temps rise QUICK!

Therefore your core is not making proper contact with the VGA Silencer, its as simple as that.

The VGA Silencer is so big and bulky, the temps don't rise fast even with the fan disconnected. Similarly the temps only fall slowly once the VGA Silencer is hot. The temperature movement is much more gradual than with the stock cooler.

This must mean your core is not making proper contact.

Chip

coldmist
11-05-04, 11:42 AM
I'm not sure if this affects other drivers/cards/etc. but I have an XFX 6800 GT running 66.81 drivers. If I click on the overclock circle, without even changing the speeds, and quickly change to the temp panel, the temp suddenly (ie within 10 seconds) is 10'C higher than before.

Within 10 seconds of clicking back to 'no overclocking', it's dropped 10'C.

I also noticed that after I clicked "Accept" with the 'no overclocking' selected, the drivers would load up at windows with it enabled again! It took some playing with it before it would start up at bootup with the 'no overclocking' selected.

Just an idea.

jAkUp
11-05-04, 11:58 AM
Its a little tricky to get it tightened correctly, I had issues tighting mine as well, if anyone remembers, I actually overtightened and busted off a screw. But you want to make sure its very snug, The washers should be farely compressed.

xrotanimret
11-05-04, 03:37 PM
Its a little tricky to get it tightened correctly, I had issues tighting mine as well, if anyone remembers, I actually overtightened and busted off a screw. But you want to make sure its very snug, The washers should be farely compressed.
Same thing happened here.. cheap piece of crap. Maybe if they'd use screws that weren't cheap or actually exercised some quality assurance in having the damn thing actually be level this wouldn't be a problem. :(

Eltigre88
11-05-04, 03:56 PM
He mentioned that it is not blowing out the back. Isn't it possible that with 2 exhaust fans and only one intake that it is drawing air in against the flow of the fan? I have heard talk of this in other threads!

K007
11-05-04, 06:28 PM
start cutting a bit off the voltage heatsink one, its pushing on the nv5, cut about 3-4 cm off and you should be fine. Same thing happend to me, 60 idle, 88 load asap(had to test it lol), so i took it off, only a 1/4 was showing it has touched, smooth the layer up again and took the voltage meter thing out and cut it off and volla :D

Zetto
11-05-04, 06:34 PM
Their quality control seems to be lacking. One of the members posted a pic here of their NV5 and it was completely obvious even from a tiny jpg image that one of the memory contact points was WAY bigger than the rest. ..

Damn you for reminding me.. It's here btw - http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38982

Still waiting on replacement :( Right now I REALLY sorry to buy this POS

On topic - make sure that memory and core all make proper contact. If temp is rising when u r not doing anything 3d-intensive or not playing back mpeg2s, than there is something really wrong.

Ironmanstl
11-05-04, 08:30 PM
He mentioned that it is not blowing out the back. Isn't it possible that with 2 exhaust fans and only one intake that it is drawing air in against the flow of the fan? I have heard talk of this in other threads!

I would tend to think this way as well,
Leave your case open and try it, see what happens

I only tightened the screws until my washers started to compress
I run at 50idle 67 load with volt mod and 425/1100

How is the thermal compound on the memory when you remove the sink,
perhaps you have a hi memory plate which isnt alowing you to get good contact with the core, just because compound is on the core doesn't mean it is making suffecient contact

put the heatsink on a flat surface and try and slide a piece of paper under each memory sink, if you have 1 tall one you could carefully lap it down to match the rest, and perhaps your cpu will contact more

TeaEtchSee
11-06-04, 12:23 AM
I have a total of 3 80mm exausts (2 rear and 1 on top), one is out of commision till fan adapter arrives and I have a single 120mm blowing in from the front. Even with the side off, im hitting 53C on stock insted of the 50C I was at when I "fixed" it. Temps rise QUICK!

Is the NV5 suppose to have a mildy weak exaust? I can barely feel it and can mainly tell only if I put a piece of paper to it.

BTW My case is a Silverstone TJ03...
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-tj03.htm

your temps are ok...i guess it depends on your Enviorment Temperature...

Chippy
11-06-04, 03:39 AM

Red Herring. No-one can feel much air coming out of the back of a VGA Silencer becuase it just doesn't push much out. Case open or closed - makes no difference.

Mine pumps out so little air that I became convinced the fan was wired the wrong way around. So I took the whole damned thing to pieces and reassembled it all again only to find the fan can only spin one way. Then I had to take it to pieces again and reassemble it all over again, again. And then I couldn't get good contact on one of my memory chips and had to do it all again again again. What a complete waste of time. Took me 3 hours! LOL.

Chip

|MaguS|
11-06-04, 06:30 AM
your temps are ok...i guess it depends on your Enviorment Temperature...

With my side panel off, Im running 52C core and 37C Ambient temps currently. Im thinking that my intake isn't getting enough air into the case due to the HD's being infront of it. I might add a side fan to the window of my case.

K007
11-06-04, 10:10 AM
I have a fan near the HDD's taking the heat out, because HDD's are the worst since i have 2 and they give out alot of heat.

Ironmanstl
11-06-04, 10:15 AM
With my side panel off, Im running 52C core and 37C Ambient temps currently. Im thinking that my intake isn't getting enough air into the case due to the HD's being infront of it. I might add a side fan to the window of my case.

thats a decent temp,
put more intake fans into your case
as well your psu acts like another output fan
the only way i can tell if my nv5 is working is to hold a piece of kleenex over it
it does flutter pretty good

|MaguS|
11-06-04, 10:19 AM
I have a fan near the HDD's taking the heat out, because HDD's are the worst since i have 2 and they give out alot of heat.

I got 4 HD's in the way of the fan =\

Guess my only route is to install a side fan in the window... Anyone know a site that customs large windows? Only one I know of is ThePCmodshop but they don't have large enough windows...

TeaEtchSee
11-06-04, 10:40 AM

Guess my only route is to install a side fan in the window... Anyone know a site that customs large windows? Only one I know of is ThePCmodshop but they don't have large enough windows...

4 HD's can heat up pretty quick if used all at once :D

what i did is i have 1 HD, and a 200 gig storage thats external. This way, i dont use up my power supply much (cuz external has its own power cord) and it cools my system better cuz its not inside the TOWER.

as for the FANS, dont put to much or your shiet will sound like Vacuum Cleaner (ive had a system like that) unless u get ZALMAN's FAN control unit (pretty hot shiet)

Ironmanstl
11-06-04, 05:25 PM

I just installed a 120mm fan in the window on my Praetorian

here is a link with a link to some piks and temp info:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=37&threadid=1426777&enterthread=y

it turned out great
I am sure you could do the same

Iron

sniggle
11-06-04, 11:52 PM
i installed a 120mm fan on the side panel of my case recently as well. it made a difference of about 7-8C in core temps, so it was definitely worth doing. my case is getting a bit on the loud side though. 2 80mm intake in the front, 2 80mm exhaust near the cpu, 1 80mm exhaust at the top, 1 120mm intake in the side at 2/3 voltage, 1 92mm tornado on the cpu at 2/3 voltage, and 3 fans in the power supply. getting rediculous, but it's the price you pay for overclocking the hell out of everything :)

Zetto
11-08-04, 04:03 AM
i installed a 120mm fan on the side panel of my case recently as well. it made a difference of about 7-8C in core temps, so it was definitely worth doing. my case is getting a bit on the loud side though. 2 80mm intake in the front, 2 80mm exhaust near the cpu, 1 80mm exhaust at the top, 1 120mm intake in the side at 2/3 voltage, 1 92mm tornado on the cpu at 2/3 voltage, and 3 fans in the power supply. getting rediculous, but it's the price you pay for overclocking the hell out of everything :)

One word: watercooling :D