PDA

View Full Version : I just want to say WOW!!!!

GenTarkin
11-05-04, 01:23 PM
I bought a Leadtek 6800NU like 2 months ago...
I got it and got its clocks to around 390mhz stock on core 850mhz on memory....I was in the dumps cuz I saw most people gettin 380-425mhz stock on the core.
So, I was like alright...lets see if I can mess with voltage via its BIOS
I downloaded one of the earlier versions of nibitor to modify the voltage in 3d mode...I set it to 1.5v

Upon testing at that point my card only wanted to do 375mhz lol....and I was like WTF...guess Ill set it back to 1.4v and take it back to 390mhz...even then it wouldnt, so I was really feeling down cuz I felt like I had the slowest 6800 =P

I been keepin up with Rivatuner and have the latest 15.2 or whathave you and I opened up the VID monitor and it only showed 1.3V!!!!! so, I thought well maybe rivatuner is bugged or something =P

Until recently I downloaded the newest nibitor and set all the fancy voltages and 3d on 1.5v once again....

Woot I rebooted and guess what Rivatuner now showed!!!! 1.5v
So, I started clockin this thing back up again 10mhz per 3dmark03 run and I went all the way to 440mhz!!! no artifacts after several runs at all....for some reason the drivers would fail the OC test, or rivatuner rather...the little internal OC test...so I ultimately ended up at 442mhz!!

I flashed the card to 435mhz for permanent clocks then 2d/3d equal @ 1.5v on the core.
So now Im extremely happy woot =)

*guess it was just a bugged version of nibitor all along hehe

EciDemon
11-05-04, 03:03 PM
Me thinks your playing with fire there, nu cards are NOT GT cards, remember that. Voltages dosent work the same on nu cards, in 3d the default is 1.2v.

FYI 390 Core on an NU cards is quite good actually,

Ive set mine to 385/950 + the pipes mod

GenTarkin
11-05-04, 03:11 PM
actually default voltage on my cards core was 1.4v =)
1.2v in 2D mode and 1.4v in 3D mode was stock to be exact.

Subtestube
11-05-04, 03:23 PM
actually default voltage on my cards core was 1.4v =)
1.2v in 2D mode and 1.4v in 3D mode was stock to be exact.

If you measure that with a Multimeter you'll see that a 6800NU never changes what it runs at. Even with different voltages in 3d/2d, it always runs at the same target voltage (Which I think is VID 1, off the top of my head).

GenTarkin
11-05-04, 03:29 PM
Well what should my temps be then to be safe? =)
Cuz mine are low compared to some GT's

wEEt
11-05-04, 03:53 PM
Your card won't survive this very long...

Subtestube
11-05-04, 03:54 PM
Temps aren't the only concern when overclocking - artifacting/potential for damage doesn't just happen from temperature. Also, failing the internal clock test is not a trivial thing, and disabling that internal test is usually a pretty bad idea. Still, I'm not an overclocker, so can't offer you much advice on what's OK and what's not.

GenTarkin
11-05-04, 04:01 PM
OK I guess I need to clear some things up, I failed internal test and I did not disable it to get higher clocks, I am 10mhz below the internal test fail.

My card is not artifacting no artifacts after countless hours of playin CS Source and lots of 3dmark runs
My card idles at 47C and is load at 74C

I see people using 1.5v on GT's all around this forum, I just did a search on it.....their temps are in upwards 80-90C underload

So...my question is, why will my card fail?????

Pandora's Box
11-05-04, 04:08 PM
report back in a week or 2 and let us know.

EciDemon
11-05-04, 04:14 PM
As I sayd, your card is not a GT. Ive red about GT users here who had to eventually lower the voltage again due to the card becoming unstable and stuff.

You get plenty speed from your normal voltage and a safer clock speeds, then just use the latest rivatuner and unlock the card to 16x1 6.

GenTarkin
11-05-04, 04:26 PM
As I sayd, your card is not a GT. Ive red about GT users here who had to eventually lower the voltage again due to the card becoming unstable and stuff.

You get plenty speed from your normal voltage and a safer clock speeds, then just use the latest rivatuner and unlock the card to 16x1 6.

yeah I Tried the unlock ... the 4 extra pipes were dead cauzed massive artifacts and the extra vertex engine worked fine, but gave no noticeable change in performance.

GenTarkin
11-05-04, 04:40 PM
ok well Ive lowered the voltage to 1.4 and so far lookin good at 400mhz....is this acceptable?

max temp now is 67C underload

EciDemon
11-05-04, 04:51 PM
I really dont know, Ive red too little about volt modding NU cards to be confortable with it.

you have to think about that a rise of .2 volts are more then GT users usually rise there cards as they only up it by .1v

All I can say is that temperatures are fine, Ive run that Core speed on my card before the pipe mod and with older drivers, but that was really on the edge for me so I lowerd it a little. Better to be safe then sorry ;)

Have you done some benching ?, How many FPS did you gain ?. Just wondering if it's really worth the potential risk ?

GenTarkin
11-05-04, 04:54 PM
gained a few hundred marks in 3dmark05 and 1.5k in 3dmark03 and 3k in 3dmark01 =)
in CS source gained a good 20-25fps
Doom III same

Cant you look at the voltage in a different way tho?
like take CPU's for example, for their mobile counterparts they drop the voltage to run cooler and lower clockspeed, but people buy them and put them up around same voltage of a *OVERCLOCKED desktop cpu and run them at a faster speed - they dont die any faster.
I would think that is the same of NU vs GT/Ultra, they run slower for marketing so why not drop the voltage to around a voltage they run cooler and more comfy at...doesnt mean that its a true voltage of a entirely different core, cuz indeed it is the same core as a GT/Ultra...

Thats how I See it....not a requirement and safe zone to run that lower voltage just an advantage of the lower clock, cuz of the lower selling point of the card...
Am I seeing it wrong?

Ironmanstl
11-05-04, 08:38 PM
Dont' know much about the 6800nu, but like was said,
it isn't a gt core...

the gt core is basically an underclocked ultra core,
which responds well to a .1 volt mod to equal it to ultra voltage,
of course better cooling always helps

Great increase in core speed by the way

Sovereignxp
11-05-04, 09:08 PM
Actually from what I understand in silicon manufacturing is that
Speed Binning is what determines what type of product it will become.

Basicly if a GPU is made from the same silicon wafer, and the first GPU is tested from that wafer batch and it fails to be an Ultra it becomes a GT and every other chip made from that same wafer is marked as an assumed GT . Now this is where the Overclocking scenario comes into play. When you buy a GT, you may get lucky that it overclocks to an Ultra. (because it was assumed as a GT and was not really tested.)

There is only 1 6800 core design. NU, GT, Ultra is the same core.

If it doesn't make it as an Ultra, it is then tested to see if it can be made into a GT. If it can't be made into a GT, then it is made into a NU and even then if it cannot become a NU it becomes an LE or whatever (8 Pipes). Nvidia is not going to make 2 differant cores of the 6800 series because of the added expense. They will try to save face and make the product into $$ as to not have to eat the cost.

This speed binning is the same approach for CPU manufactures (AMD / Intel).

Hope what I said makes sense heh.

GenTarkin
11-05-04, 09:56 PM
thats what Im sayin, these cores are exactly the same as their GT/Ultra counterparts....they were originally designed to take the higher voltage...but because the pixel pipes were broken or the vertex units broken, they were binned lower speed and a lower voltage slapped on them BECAUSE they didnt need that higher voltage to run the higher clockspeeds.

Thats how I see this, so thats why I believe a certain voltage on a NU GPU is the same as the same voltage on a GT/Ultra GPU.

Sovereignxp
11-05-04, 11:06 PM
Correct. :)

CaptNKILL
11-05-04, 11:36 PM
Maybe i just missed this, but have you tried using Riva Tuner to unlock the extra pipes? I think that would get you a bit more performance than just overclocking.

anzak
11-06-04, 12:06 AM
Hmm... Just remember my story.

Maybe i just missed this, but have you tried using Riva Tuner to unlock the extra pipes? I think that would get you a bit more performance than just overclocking.

Ditto, I gained 20fps in VST just by unlocking the pipes!

TeaEtchSee
11-06-04, 12:15 AM
Your card won't survive this very long...

what he said.

El_Sid
11-06-04, 05:38 AM
I have a Leadtek 6800NU too. My first 6800.
But i was no luck. Mine is terrible for OC. Auto detect gives only 352/780.
With omniextreme 1.1 i set VID 1.5/1.5/1.5 and autodetect gives me 384/802
I set manualy to 410/830 image claar and no crashes. Over 415GPU=Nalu image failure. Max=435/836
I was no luck with rivatuner too. Only 12x1 6vp to me.
I'm testing the rev1 bios under Nibitor 1.8 exact mode=1.5v .The newest rev2 crashes with any changes because i think memory clock is not correctly recognized.