PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 2 SDK Today/Tomorrow!

FierceDeityLink
11-05-04, 03:03 PM
http://www.steampowered.com/platform/update_history/Source%20SDK.html

Yeah, so it's not everything the SDK contains, but at least there's Hammer, so we can get some real, legit user-made Counter-Strike: Source maps.

CaptNKILL
11-05-04, 03:26 PM
So where is it?

EDIT: Sorry, didnt notice your thread title said today/tomorrow ;)

Mr. Hunt
11-05-04, 03:47 PM
Cool... maybe somebody will do the right thing and remake Militia, Assault, and Siege :).

FierceDeityLink
11-05-04, 04:20 PM
Yay it's out!

BTW: remaking of old maps probably won't be widely accepted unless it's by the original author (and even then, a lot of the authors died between the original and CS:Source).

CaptNKILL
11-05-04, 04:47 PM
Yay it's out!

BTW: remaking of old maps probably won't be widely accepted unless it's by the original author (and even then, a lot of the authors died between the original and CS:Source).
Died? :wtf:

Mr. Hunt
11-05-04, 05:17 PM
Yeah... I remember when the creator of Siege (I believe) killed himself if I remember correctly.

But I still think some people will remake the maps... they really need to be remade because those were some fantastic maps... only reason I played CS for as long as I did. Siege and Assault have been in since like... forever... and now they are gone and I miss them :(.

FierceDeityLink
11-05-04, 05:42 PM
http://www.fashnek.com/robby/hammer_error.jpg
I must have configured something wrong. :-/

CaptNKILL
11-05-04, 05:59 PM
So where do we get this SDK?

Gah, we have to buy the game from Steam, dont we :mad:

Edge
11-05-04, 06:37 PM
Figures, I just started getting back into making my Natural Selection map, and the Hammer editor for HL2 is released. Heh, that's how it goes I guess. Wonder if they're going to port NS to HL2...supposedly they were thinking about it so it might just be better if I design my map for HL2...of course then if they don't port it I'm stuck with a map I can't do anything with. Gah, it's tough making content for games you have no control over.

***CENSORED***
11-05-04, 06:38 PM
Gah, we have to buy the game from Steam, dont we

Yep.

Vanzagar
11-05-04, 06:53 PM
They need to remake assault a little and give the cts some more advantage assault is the most biased map made, favours T's too much. If you go to any 24/7 assault server the score will be like T=270wins, CTS=160wins or something always lopsided.

I would suggest removing the back door so cts can come in silently or maybe adding a glass window to the roof where cts can shoot down thru...

Vanz

FierceDeityLink
11-05-04, 07:05 PM
Here's an example config for Hammer (use Word and Find & Replace email with your account):
Game Data Files:
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\email\sourcesdk\cstrike_samp le_content\maps
Game Executable Directory:
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\email\sourcesdk
Game directory:
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\email\sourcesdk\cstrike_samp le_content
Hammer map:
BSP
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\email\sourcesdk\bin\vbsp.exe
VIS
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\email\sourcesdk\bin\vvis.exe
RAD
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\email\sourcesdk\bin\vrad.exe
Place Compiled Maps

I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like it would work, since I configured mine incorrectly, I have to reinstall the SDK.

six_storm
11-06-04, 08:55 AM
I d/led the SDK and I'm so lost. I'm no pro at mods or anything but can anyone tell me if the map editor/creator is included in this thing? Is that what "Hammer" is? I'd like to fool around with map making and such.

anzak
11-06-04, 09:17 AM
I d/led the SDK and I'm so lost. I'm no pro at mods or anything but can anyone tell me if the map editor/creator is included in this thing? Is that what "Hammer" is? I'd like to fool around with map making and such.

Hammer is the source map editor. From what I can tell its not near as powerful or user friendly as UnrealEd (UT map editor).

|MaguS|
11-06-04, 09:22 AM
Got it and already remaking an old map of mine, Gonna change it up to take advantage of the Source engine. :)

nutcrackr
11-06-04, 09:28 AM
One thing I noticed in cobble is that the environment maps are broken up into sections of the map. If you look at a weapon with a scope you can see it dramatically change when you go into the next section. I can see advantages but certain sections you can see big changes.

anzak
11-06-04, 09:28 AM
Got it and already remaking an old map of mine, Gonna change it up to take advantage of the Source engine. :)

Do you know of any good tutorials to get me started? Thanks in advance.

|MaguS|
11-06-04, 09:58 AM
Not really for CS:S since the editor just released... If you don't know anything about Hammer in general there are plenty tutorials out there if you do a search on google.

anzak
11-06-04, 11:48 AM
Not really for CS:S since the editor just released... If you don't know anything about Hammer in general there are plenty tutorials out there if you do a search on google.

Alright, thanks for the info.

six_storm
11-08-04, 08:12 AM
Anzak, here ya go:

http://www.snarkpit.com/editing.php?page=tutorials&game=HL2

anzak
11-08-04, 12:20 PM
Anzak, here ya go:

http://www.snarkpit.com/editing.php?page=tutorials&game=HL2

Thanks! That will give me something to do with weekend.