PDA

View Full Version : DVD re-writer takes 70min to burn a data disc

Dogpigboy
11-05-04, 04:48 PM
Hope you guys can give me a few pointers - been pulling my hair out with my dvd rewriter - it's supposed to be 8x.

Had a new system for a month but only played the odd dvd on it - that's fine.

But today tried recording using nero and also inter-video dvd creator. Used my own avi captured files and ripped dvd files. It burns real slow taking 76 mins plus and 50% of the time does not even manage to complete a successful burn.

So I tried making a plain old data dvd using nero. Nero estimated about 8 mins to complete but it took over 70 mins again.

The system is athlon barton 2800 512K

Also a strightforward cd copy from dvd rom (x40) to dvd rw(x8) takes about 8mins for 43mins of audio.

Any ideas?

Rampant CL
11-05-04, 05:27 PM
Is this burning data or video? If its video its understandable since it often needs to transcode files to the correct format for the dvd, but if its data then all i can think of is something is causing it to switch to the burn proof mode and continously pause the laser.

If 2nd case then try to isolate any programs running when your burning, and also accessing the hdd. See if that helps.

-=DVS=-
11-05-04, 08:46 PM
Cableing might be wrong and couse trouble , and or not compatible DVD-disk, some DVD-Drives are picky and don't like some DVDs Example burns 8xDVD at 2x speed .

Also some software might couse problems for example , if you have a game thats got StarForce protection , they install DLL driver without you knowing it, it does with some versions anyways couse major problems with Burning.
Just in case you got it and need cleaner http://jeffjones.org/files/sfclean.zip

Dogpigboy
11-06-04, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, but during a midnight trawl of the internet I came up with the solution.

Problem now corrected 100%.

The dvd-rw had become stuck in a PIO mode instead of a DMA mode. Don't know how. But deletion of a registry IdDataCheckSum for this drive forces windows to "..re-examine the devices capabilities.." . This resulted in it being assigned udma 2.

Anybody else who's had difficulties with cd/dvd roms and rw becoming slow should check ot this excellent site.

http:\\users.bigpond.net.au/ninjaduck/itserviceduck/udma_fix/

Nitz Walsh
11-06-04, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, but during a midnight trawl of the internet I came up with the solution.

Problem now corrected 100%.

The dvd-rw had become stuck in a PIO mode instead of a DMA mode. Don't know how. But deletion of a registry IdDataCheckSum for this drive forces windows to "..re-examine the devices capabilities.." . This resulted in it being assigned udma 2.

Anybody else who's had difficulties with cd/dvd roms and rw becoming slow should check ot this excellent site.

http:\\users.bigpond.net.au/ninjaduck/itserviceduck/udma_fix/
Thanks a bunch, I'm having a similar problem with my LG 8X DVD+-RW, I'll check it out.

edit: Hmm...my drive is reading as UDMA2 in device manager. Perhaps it's the media...