PDA

View Full Version : For speculation's sake... (Barton die @ 90nm, + 512k more cache)

ragejg
11-05-04, 05:03 PM
Wouldn't it kick arse? (90nm, 1mb cache) :p:p

Doesn't the Athlon core really really benifit from cache?

Are there any plans on a 90nm socketA last-ditch chip?

... I'm goin 939, but I like to think about these things. This coming, mind you, from the man who wants a bga equipped GF3 sitting in a 166fsb DDR P3 rig... :p:p

circuitbreaker8
11-05-04, 05:24 PM
I think socket A is pretty much dead.

CaptNKILL
11-05-04, 05:52 PM
Personally, Id like to know how a Pentium MMX at 3ghz would compair to modern CPUs. Now that would be interesting ;)

tristancarton
11-05-04, 06:21 PM
If I remember correctly the pentium m based processors are loosely based off the p1/p2/p3 architecture (i think p4 was the major/huge architectural change)and by the look of it they fly.
http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/cm/dfi855/dfi855-9.htm

By the way. Intel is switching back to this architecture sometime in 06.

Personally, Id like to know how a Pentium MMX at 3ghz would compair to modern CPUs. Now that would be interesting ;)

ragejg
11-05-04, 07:09 PM
true... I **think** Pentium M is very closely associated with P3, which in turn is closely associated with PII, which IIRC is a clockspeed increase/cache improvement/memory controller compatibility upgrade to the original Pentium core...

While we're on the subject, what are the main improvements of the Athlon over K6-III? I always wondered what those could do @ higher clocks as well...

tristancarton
11-05-04, 10:37 PM
i remember that k6-3 450 chip with the large l3 cache on it.(i believe those were the ones) quite a better chip than the k6-2 processors. never realized that chip was related to the athlon chips that came out after it. (although i guess i probably should have realized that) I would love to see some info on this as well. perhaps i will get bored and have some fun on google. i will update if i find anything and yes i also would love to see an axp on 90nm.(just for fun) i bet it would hum along pretty nicely.
true... I **think** Pentium M is very closely associated with P3, which in turn is closely associated with PII, which IIRC is a clockspeed increase/cache improvement/memory controller compatibility upgrade to the original Pentium core...

While we're on the subject, what are the main improvements of the Athlon over K6-III? I always wondered what those could do @ higher clocks as well...

superbooga
11-07-04, 02:23 AM

It would suck. The P6 micro-architecture (Pentium Pro) is far superior to the P5 architecture (Pentium). Here's my estimate of the efficiencies of some Pentiums. This takes into account how the processors will scale with an increase in frequency, and assuming system bus speeds are default for each platform.

A Pentium Pro is about 50% more efficient than a Pentium MMX.
A Pentium II is about 30% more efficient than a Pentium Pro.
A Pentium III Katmai is about the same as the Pentium II.
A Pentium III Coppermine is about 20% more efficient than the Katmai.
A Pentium III Tualatin is about 15% more efficient than the Coppermine.
A Pentium-M Dothan core is about 20% more efficient than the Tualatin.

Multiply these together and you get >3.22, meaning a 1Ghz Dothan would probably beat a 3 Ghz Pentium MMX. Now if you give a Pentium MMX a modern memory subsystem, a 1.5 Ghz Dothan would still beat it.

Celeron 433
11-07-04, 06:37 AM
Wouldn't it kick arse? (90nm, 1mb cache) :p:p

Doesn't the Athlon core really really benifit from cache?

Are there any plans on a 90nm socketA last-ditch chip?

... I'm goin 939, but I like to think about these things. This coming, mind you, from the man who wants a bga equipped GF3 sitting in a 166fsb DDR P3 rig... :p:p
haahahh there is no such a thing as DDR 166 fsb lol it is like socket 939 Pentium 2 366 mghz :retard: