PDA

View Full Version : To GeForce 6800 owners who have modded their cards...

THE VIKING
11-05-04, 07:38 PM
My BFG 6800 OC card I modded to 16 pipelines and 6 vertex shaders eventually bombed out after about 5 days. Whenever I went into a game I would hear a clicking sound from my PC and the game would freeze. This would also happen when I tried to boot into Windows. I'd hear the clicking sound, and the mouse cursor would disappear. Another freeze. I got rid of the BFG and now have a PNY GeForce 6800 I also modded with Rivatuner. I was lucky I was still in the return period for the BFG.

Has anyone been able to sustain their mod for a while? I know that it's risky, but there must be someone who has been able to successfully mod his GeForce 6800!!!!!

hyakki
11-05-04, 08:03 PM
sounds like it killed a capacitor(s)

Subtestube
11-05-04, 08:16 PM
Were you overclocking as well? Had you done ANYTHING besides the softmod? Did the card still work after disabling the pipes?

Ironmanstl
11-05-04, 09:21 PM
clicking from where?

theultimo
11-05-04, 10:43 PM
Sounds like a capacitor, like he said. Prob just had a bad card.

THE VIKING
11-05-04, 10:54 PM
I would hear a clicking sound then the computer would freeze. I had the card modded to 16 pipes and 6 shaders. It was also overclocked to 350/760. The PNY card I have now is clocked to 351/751. It's working great so far.

mike2h
11-06-04, 02:48 AM
chance you take when you oc/mod a card beyond its specs.
i have my gt ocd to ultra speeds. it wil go considerably higher. i do not do it for 2 reasons, main- nobody knows how long these cards can hold up to increased current/heat longterm. 2nd there is absolutley nothing out there that requires the speed involved(except bechmarks)- & will not be for several months.
i am willing to risk a $120 2.4 c @ 3.1 that is proven to hold up. am not willing to risk a $400, brand new tech, video card just to get a higher score or fr that add nothing to playability at all.
jmdo of course.
apologise for neg answer. you are just looking for help & not whining. just trying to make sure people are doing mods/ oc with full understanding.
& yes it sounds like a cap. if you find out which one it is & have skills it is replaceable. otherwise good luck on a rma.