PDA

View Full Version : Playing the Pre-loaded HL2 on other PC

SH64
11-05-04, 08:56 PM
Is it possible to transfer HL2 files after preloading & unlocking it to another PC & play it there ?? & if so am i going to need an internet connection on that other PC ?

i want to do this because HL2 is preloaded in my slower PC (which has internet connection) & i want to play it on my other PC which has better specs .

FierceDeityLink
11-05-04, 09:09 PM
You could probably transfer the GCFs once the game is out to the gaming PC. You'll need to log out of the internet PC (in Steam) and log-in on the gaming PC. It will inevitably need to redownload some files, but it shouldn't take that long.

Edge
11-05-04, 09:10 PM
I believe you can copy the entire Steam directory (or at least just the GFD files) over to the computer, and then you'll be able to sign in with your account on that computer and play it without redownloading the game. However, I'm pretty sure you still need a connection on the PC so that you can log in with your account. Maybe you could run it through offline mode, but I think it requires that you sign in with your account on the computer before running it in offline mode (meaning every computer that you want to play HL2 on will need to have signed in online at least once).

PSYCHODAD
11-06-04, 01:34 AM
I'm not particularly fond of the idea of logging into steam everytime I wanna play HL2.
Also was wondering if it's possible to play Counterstrike source on LAN?

Edge
11-06-04, 02:09 AM
Yes, you can play HL2 single-player and CS:S on a LAN in offline mode, so after you log in the first time you no longer need an internet connection (assuming you don't accidentally hit "exit and log out" when you close steam).

PSYCHODAD
11-06-04, 02:13 AM
Yes, you can play HL2 single-player and CS:S on a LAN in offline mode, so after you log in the first time you no longer need an internet connection (assuming you don't accidentally hit "exit and log out" when you close steam).

OH, okay thanks for the info.