PDA

View Full Version : PNY GeForce6800GT

Amoor
11-06-04, 05:15 PM
Hi all,
This is my first post, and i would like to ask you guys a few questions. :)

I want buy a new card, and i was looking for one of the new ATI cards, i had a good experience with my R9800 Pro, but as you may have noticed, i live in Egypt and i couldnt find any of the new cards here, but i came across a PNY GeForce 6800GT, so i thought i could ask here about this one.

I want to know about it compared to other brands, like the BFG 6800GT or XFX... is PNY considered a good brand ?

I also heard that i could softmod/overclock it to the 6800Ultra easy, is it true? what is the difference between the 6800GT and the Ultra anyway, other than the core/memory speed ??

What about image quality, i heard horror stories about the FX series especially in Farcry which is my favorite game, and my 9800Pro was perfect in terms of the image quality, but i dont know anything about the new GF 6 series..?

I can buy this PNY now for about 530$ and i would like to hear your thoughts about it.. and thanks for the great Forum :) :)

YOGIx213
11-06-04, 05:27 PM
I have a PNY Ultra and it's a great card. PNY is built off the nVidia reference design so you won't find much of a difference with some of the other brands. The difference lies in the support and PNY is not as good as eVGA or BFG support. I have not had problems with PNY getting back to me on questions (through e-mail, they get back to me usually the next day) but eVGA has a support forum in which eVGA techs actually frequent. PNY has a decent warranty but BFG has the best warranty of all companies.

In short, PNY is really no different (performance wise) than the others, if it's available, get it. If eVGA or BFG are available, I'd get those based on overall support.

edit: also, as far as support, the best support I got of all was through this very forum. You won't find better advice anywhere! If you have a problem, it was most likely posted here by someone else and is already answered here.

Amoor
11-06-04, 06:27 PM
Thanks YOGIx213 :) , but unfortunately the PNY the only one available right now

btw i forgot to ask about the power requirment for this card, i have Cheiftec 420W Power supply, will it be enough for this card or should i buy better one ??

YOGIx213
11-06-04, 07:44 PM
420 watts sounds good enough. I checked and your supply should put out 18 amps from the 12v rail so I think that's adequate for the GT.

latinmike
11-07-04, 12:30 AM
PNY IS THE BEST BUT SUPPORT SERVICE SUCKS BE SURE THAT THE CARD YOU BUY IS BLUE AND NOT GREEN, green is good but blue is better, OC EASY TO ULTRA BUT BETTER STAY AT 400 MHz/ 1.01 GB memory but you can do more, try 61.76 international drivers

Marduk
11-07-04, 12:35 AM
PNY IS THE BEST BUT SUPPORT SERVICE SUCKS BE SURE THAT THE CARD YOU BUY IS BLUE AND NOT GREEN OC EASY TO ULTRA BUT BETTER STAY AT 400 MHz/ 1GB memory try 61.76 international drivers

What's the difference between the blue and green pcbs?

latinmike
11-07-04, 01:03 AM
Sometimes some factorys have orders that they can,t fill so they use what they have. the PNY GT 6800 card is green :angel2: the ultra is blue :rolleyes: so in short if you buy a GT 6800 and it,s blue :rolleyes: you got a ultra w/ the core set at 350 Mhz and it can do the same as a ultra w/ coolbits. had trouble w/ the frist card green :angel2: return it not know at he time and got a blue :rolleyes: any where on the net you can see that the ultra is blue :rolleyes: and the gt is green :angel2: hope that helps. :)

ChrisRay
11-07-04, 01:04 AM

Lol none. the green ones were early reference designs. My Blue one also has a gold liner on the outside of the card. Its purely cosmetic though.

Slammin
11-07-04, 01:24 AM
PNY IS THE BEST BUT SUPPORT SERVICE SUCKS BE SURE THAT THE CARD YOU BUY IS BLUE AND NOT GREEN, green is good but blue is better, OC EASY TO ULTRA BUT BETTER STAY AT 400 MHz/ 1.01 GB memory but you can do more, try 61.76 international drivers

Krazy bastid.

latinmike
11-07-04, 01:28 AM
No look and see I think that not to many people are at this buying those high-end cards, tom.s hardware article ( have you seen these cards there,s shortage, of these cards because I think no one is buying them because if you have a Gt you got a ultra. and why make something that we have and can already use. there is no new card but the green gt, and the blue ultra you deside, mine was green and now my baby is blue, and she,s the BOOM

ChrisRay
11-07-04, 01:33 AM
No look and see I think that not to many people are at this buying those high-end cards, tom.s hardware article ( have you seen these cards there,s shortage, of these cards because I think no one is buying them because if you have a Gt you got a ultra. and why make something that we have and can already use. there is no new card but the green gt, and the blue ultra you deside, mine was green and now my baby is blue, and she,s the BOOM

They arent the same PCB though. the Blue PCB is still significantly different from the Ultra PCB :)

latinmike
11-07-04, 01:43 AM
Lol none. the green ones were early reference designs. My Blue one also has a gold liner on the outside of the card. Its purely cosmetic though.
If you and any one wan to think that that,s O.K. I many be wrong but I don,t think so. anyway the two cards are the same and they use the N40 both so why buy the ultra? and why the shortage? :) :rolleyes: :angel2:

latinmike
11-07-04, 01:51 AM
They arent the same PCB though. the Blue PCB is still significantly different from the Ultra PCB :)
the pny ultra is blue and the pny GT is green, any the core is the same N40, look it up, hope that helps,

latinmike
11-07-04, 02:17 AM
that,s way they are coming out with the 6600, so what to do with these extra cards?

latinmike
11-07-04, 02:18 AM
Thanks YOGIx213 :) , but unfortunately the PNY the only one available right now

btw i forgot to ask about the power requirment for this card, i have Cheiftec 420W Power supply, will it be enough for this card or should i buy better one ??
your good to go 350 watt yours better

ChrisRay
11-07-04, 02:20 AM
the pny ultra is blue and the pny GT is green, any the core is the same N40, look it up, hope that helps,

I realise that. But just because they have the same color PCB doesnt mean they are the same as an Ultra. Ultra PCBS are layed out quite different and use higher voltages and require additional power.

YOGIx213
11-07-04, 04:28 AM
Sometimes some factorys have orders that they can,t fill so they use what they have. the PNY GT 6800 card is green :angel2: the ultra is blue :rolleyes: so in short if you buy a GT 6800 and it,s blue :rolleyes: you got a ultra w/ the core set at 350 Mhz and it can do the same as a ultra w/ coolbits. had trouble w/ the frist card green :angel2: return it not know at he time and got a blue :rolleyes: any where on the net you can see that the ultra is blue :rolleyes: and the gt is green :angel2: hope that helps. :)

Lol, that's the first I've heard of the blue and green pcb'c. My Ultra has a green pcb, so does that mean mine is actually a GT in disguise? It doesn't matter what color the pcb is, the core is what matters. Don't believe the hype! :)

Sovereignxp
11-07-04, 12:35 PM
Watch out for the yellow PCB, It *****s Ice Cream! :)

Amoor
11-07-04, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated :)

latinmike
11-08-04, 12:42 AM
Krazy bastid.
Even though it’s known for making world-class memory solutions, PNY has been a staunch supporter of NVIDIA graphics for the last several years – and in doing so has been blessed by NVIDIA with first-runs of new silicon whenever available. To that end, PNY is the first manufacturer that we’re aware of to have 6800GT-class video cards available for sale.

The 6800GT GPU uses a full NV40 core and features the same 16 pipes that its bigger brother, the Ultra Edition, has; in fact, it’s effectively the same GPU – however, it runs at a core clock of 350MHz and memory clock at 500MHz (1000MHz DDR). It sells for $100 dollars less than an Ultra and offers close to the same performance levels at its stock speed settings – overclocking brings better results.

PNY uses the same reference design we’ve seen from NVIDIA that incorporates a single-slot solution that provides more than adequate cooling at acceptable noise levels. There’s only one Molex power connector and the overall heat generated from the 6800GT isn’t anything close to extraordinarily hot compared to older-generation video cards. The Green PCB is contrasted well by the blue-colored sticker PNY places on the heatsink – the overall look would look great inside any gamer’s PC. Unlike the reference design, however, there are not dual DVI slots – instead you have the choice of 15-pin VGA, S-Video or one DVI out
http://www.gamers-depot.com/hardware/video_cards/pny/6800gt/001.htm
and I will not call you out of your name. :angel2: