PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got Tony Hawk Underground2 for the PC?

Nitz Walsh
11-06-04, 05:40 PM
...and can get it anywhere close to 60fps?

I'll admit it: I snagged a torrent of it, as seeing how the other TH games ran on the PC, I'm wasn't about to take a $40 chance on this one without trying it first. Couldn't care less about the earlier members in the series, but THUG2 looks interesting so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Ok, my system is an XP2500 with 64meg 4200 - not exactly a barn burner these days. But THUG2 plays close to 60fps on all the consoles (save the PS2 from what I hear), and the xbox version even runs in 720p for pete's sake. The PC version would be ideal as it's the most feature complete and has online play (unlike the Xbox) - but man, as soon as you leave training and enter a city, I'm barely getting 30fps with massive stuttering. WTF is with the Tony Hawk engine and the PC? I had some hopes for this version since Gearbox wasn't doing the port, but apparently little has changed.

Even playing with the view distance, clipping/fogging, resolution, shadows etc - makes barely any difference at all.

So, anyone with a more modern system (CPU, and say a 6800/X800, although it shouldn't require that) have THUG2 and are getting good results? 60fps really is a must for this game, and the jerk-fest that I'm getting basically makes it unplayable.

Fatman
11-08-04, 01:08 PM
I have no idea how fast it runs, I never measured FPS. I run it at 1280x1024 i think, the highest available resoluton in launcher, and 4xAA/8xaf. Gameplay is smooth as silk, but ingame graphics suck badly. Typical PS2 game ported to PC, pretty good gameplay, but GFX is stuck in the late 90's.

|MaguS|
11-08-04, 01:12 PM
Was gonna answer the question but after reading right after I changed my mind... go to hell Fing Pirate...

Nitz Walsh
11-08-04, 01:47 PM
Let's try this again for the reading impaired:

I'll admit it: I snagged a torrent of it, as seeing how the other TH games ran on the PC, I'm wasn't about to take a $40 chance on this one without trying it first

This is quite simple. When a company does not provide a demo for their product, and I have no recourse to return it if it ends up being ****e, then I'm going to try it first. I purchase my PC games you ignorant little twerp, the moral issue notwithstanding, PC gaming needs all the $$ it can get right now. This was purely for testing - if not, why the hell would I even state that I snagged it via a torrent? I could have claimed I had the retail game and no one would have known, the explanation was just that. Again, the horrible ports of the Tony Hawk series in the past is largely why I'm not plopping down $45 cndn based on the console versions without playing it first - the results validated that decision. If a demo was available, i would have used that.

If there's a solution to the performance on my machine (aside from a P4EE!), I'll be running out and getting the game.

Fatman: Thanks for the feedback, although you do have a honkin' CPU. Would it be possible to take a fraps measurement of say, panning around the opening Boston level? Just to get some hard numbers for comparison.

|MaguS|
11-08-04, 02:12 PM
Sorry but lack of demo is no excuse for downloading the ENTIRE game, I hate went stupid pirates try to make an excuse for doing something illegal and unmoral... I don't consider TH3 and 4 horrible ports considering they ran flawlessly and had an even great graphics quality then thier console counterparts (even included online when the PS2 version had it exclusivly on the consoles).

Q
11-08-04, 02:12 PM
I hate a pirate as much as anyone else...but if a PC game doesn't have a demo out and the game just happens to get 4fps when you plop down 40 bucks for it...your screwed. It's not like a console where you can both rent a game and have a very reasonable expectation for it to run correctly. If a company doesn't have a demo out for a game, there is NO way you can know if it will run on your system and NO company will take back an open PC game. Nobody. If you download a game illegaly, though, and keep it forever without buying it...then you deserve to burn.

With that said...I think it's against forum policy to even admit that you pirated a game that you need help with.....

:bash:

On to the help though... I know I play tony hawk 2 at times....and although i never frap it or anything....it always LOOKS slow. I think its some sort of cap being put on the fps. You know those console ports love to have caps. I think they just design the game to run at 30fps for the console and don't care if it can run at 130 on a pc. Wish I could help...

Did you check vsync? Try it on....then off...might help....

YOGIx213
11-08-04, 02:21 PM
EA allows you to send them back an opened game and they will send you a sealed one in return so that you can return it to the store you bought it from. It's part of their 90 day warranty. I was having problems with NBA Live 2005 and we couldn't figure out why it would always play in slow motion so they said to just send it to them and they'll send me a sealed box to get a refund from Best Buy. I didn't do it though cause I figured out that VSYNC on was causing this. By turning it off, the game ran smoothly. Anyway, some game companies do allow you to return a game if you aren't satisfied, just contact them and see what their warranty policy is.

Q
11-08-04, 02:27 PM
YOGIx213...this is news to me! I just wonder if you could ship it to them...have them ship you a new copy...and have time to return it to the store before your 30 days are up!!!

This is better and should be the policy of any company that puts out a pc game without a demo. I think ONLY if there's not a demo out, though... Cause THIS could be another avenue for piracy...just think of the masses "buying" games....copying them...then taking them back in an EA sealed package!

YOGIx213
11-08-04, 02:58 PM
Well, it's a 90 day warranty, so that's plenty of time to install, see if it works, and if not, return it and get it back. As for people abusing this, I don't think it's a real problem because it's just too much of a hassle. I could be wrong though.

Q
11-08-04, 03:01 PM
Yeah a 90 warranty to EA...but what about the store you buy them from, like BestBuy? Don't they only take returns within 30 days? That would pose a problem...

I don't think it could be much of an issue either...unless were talking about those 80 buck games like HL2 collectors edition. Those would be higher risk I think...but likely it wouldn't be an issue.

ragejg
11-08-04, 03:01 PM
no warez talky. Bring the subject up in a different way or something.

/closed