PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800 OC 128MB Unlockability

Kickus_assius
11-06-04, 10:19 PM
Hi I just bought a BFG 6800 OC and I was wondering what kind of luck people are having with unlocking the extra four pipes. I have the inno3d card that Clay reviewed and it unlocked very nicely and added about 20% to the performance. I was just wondering what kind of experiences people are having opening up all 16 pipes in the BFG card through the riva tuner method.

Pantherman
11-06-04, 11:45 PM
I also used Rivatuner and unlocked the 4 extra pipelines and 1 extra vertex shader. The card worked well for 5 days and then I would hear a clicking sound followed by freezes in games. I took back the BFG and got a PNY 6800. So far this card has been working well. You always take a chance when you mod a card.

BlackPearl
11-07-04, 10:43 AM
I have unlocked the pixel/vertex units on 2 BFG 6800's with RivaTuner. One was a complete success, the other had damaged pipeline(s). But even the one which wasn't perfect only showed minor texture corruption in one 3DMark03 test and a couple of areas of Far Cry. Performance boost was the same for both - about 1000 3DMark03 points and 400 3DMark05 points.

The poll in the Guru3D RivaTuner forum of 257 (today's count) who did the mod shows about 58% success.

I don't think that it's likely you could damage your card by doing the softmod. If you unload nvstrap or just uninstall RivaTuner completely, your card goes back to exactly the same condition as before, with the same pixel/vertex units masked.

BlackPearl
11-07-04, 10:49 AM
I have unlocked the pixel/vertex units on 2 BFG 6800's with RivaTuner. One was a complete success, the other had damaged pipeline(s). But even the one which wasn't perfect only showed minor texture corruption in one 3DMark03 test and a couple of areas of Far Cry. Performance boost was the same for both - about 1000 3DMark03 points and 400 3DMark05 points.

The poll in the Guru3D RivaTuner forum of 257 (today's count) who did the mod shows about 58% success.

I don't think that it's likely you could damage your card by doing the softmod. If you unload nvstrap or just uninstall RivaTuner completely, your card goes back to exactly the same condition as before.

Kickus_assius
11-08-04, 02:16 AM
Thanks alot blackpearl. That's exactly what i wanted to know. My other 6800 card soft-modded perfectly and I was just wondering if the new card would do the same and what the success rate was.

Pantherman
11-08-04, 08:52 AM
Even if your ,mod is successful at first, there is no guarantee that a problem will not surface in the future. There have been others who reported that their card worked fine at first then developed problems later on. Remember that all 6800 GPUs are the same except those that didn't pass at higher frequencies or had damaged pipelines become regular 6800s. You may actually get lucky and not have any problems after modding your card, but it's a 50/50 proposition at best.

Good Luck!