PDA

View Full Version : New LCD monitor, minor problem...

Zeta
11-06-04, 09:20 PM
I just got a Samsung SyncMaster 712n monitor (12ms response time!). I love it so far but it has 1 lcd burned out/something wrong with it. Its in the bottom left. As I understand it to have 1 or even a few pixels not working is normal. Is that correct or should I be taking this thing back and exchange it for a different one?

YOGIx213
11-06-04, 10:32 PM
I thought it was 8 dead pixels... regardless, one dead is annoying but won't be enough to exchange or get fixed.

Zeta
11-07-04, 06:12 AM
Its stuck I guess. Its not black. Its almost white/blue. When the screen is white you cant see it. I am sure they wont take it back if I tell them I am taking it back for that reason. But I will just tell them I changed my mind and dont want it anymore... then buy a new one. But if this is normal or common for LCDs then I dont want to do that and then get one that has 3 bad pixels.

crainger
11-07-04, 05:37 PM
It depends on the place where you bought it. When I got my Samsung the pace I purchased it from let me set it up in store and check for dead pixels. They said if I took it home and found the pixels they would have to go by Samsungs dead pixel rules, which is like 6 or more before they replace it. But in store they just let me choose on without dead pixels and take that.

It sucks you got one with a dead pixel though... Usually Samsungs are fairly safe. Just ask the place of purchase and see what they can do for ya.

Marcos
11-08-04, 10:28 AM
i got mine from newegg no dead pixels someone needs to find out the truth behind the dead pixels policy as I've heard kids say that they will replace it w/ 8 or more, some say 0, some say even 1.

nutball
11-08-04, 11:06 AM
AFAIK it depends on the manufacturer, the model of monitor (more expensive => fewer dead pixels), the retailer being kind hearted (lol!)...

If you look on the manufacturers website they usually have a document outlining their policy on this (it'll be hidden away in a PDF in a deep link with some small print, or similar).

I doubt any maker would regard 1 stuck pixel as defective overall.

Fatman
11-08-04, 03:02 PM
Zeta, sounds like it's stuck. No biggie, as it may even become un-stuck at some point. Hit this link http://www.monitorsdirect.com/toolkit/index.shtml and launch the toolkit. There is tool that helps you find dead/stuck pixels. AFAIK, dead pixel policy is defferent from one maker/retailer to another.

Zeta
11-08-04, 08:24 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I am just going to keep it. For some reason I still feel like I am giving up. Its only 1 stuck pixel...

netviper13
11-09-04, 12:58 AM
This SOMETIMES works if you have a stuck pixel. Take your finger and GENTLY press in on the display over the stuck pixel and massage it. Again, I said gently. It may come unstuck. I heard that somewhere ages ago and it worked on one of the Samsungs I reviewed last year. :)

Coincidentally Gib is very well practiced in massaging tiny surfaces, after all it has been part of his self-exploration for years... :D

Zeta
11-09-04, 07:08 AM
I will try it. The thing that will make it hard is its right on the left edge.