PDA

View Full Version : eVGA, BFG, or PNY?

Pages : [1] 2

Geet
11-07-04, 12:48 AM
I've been shopping for a new video card for some time now... at first I was looking at the 5700 Ultra with 128 GDDR3... but i don't want to upgrade anytime soon

so... naturally... i'm not looking at the 6800GT, I just can't decide which brand.

I've looked around on this forum, found out that PNY offers great cards with the reference chipset or whatever, but no support, crap warranty. eVGA, as I understand it, has decent cards too. BFG, obviously has great cards, already overclocked, and life warranties... but more pricy.

eVGA - 389.99 (CircuitCity)
BFG - 399.99 (BestBuy)
PNY - 363.67 (Through Adamant -- which has some bad reviews) or 367.99 (Through Adamant but on their Ebay store -- which has much better reviews)

any suggestions on which one i should get? I really don't want to upgrade my video card again for a LONG time...

**EDIT** Oh, btw, all the cards are the same specs (except for the BFG because of the OC) and have 256 DDR3 RAM

and what does opening pipelines mean and how do you do it?

ChrisRay
11-07-04, 01:45 AM
Well BFG gives you an Overclock out of the box. if that extra performance means something to you. You should get the BFG. However the actual difference in games will be negligable at best. It also has a lifetime warranty.

Hmm umm PNY has a 3 year warranty (Which is fine IMO 3 years is a long GPU life) and better than there old warranty. But it doesnt have live tech support. But good e-mail support

I've had the pleasure of dealing with EVGA tech support when I did my Personal Cinema review, they were extremely quick. Efficient, and evenm called me back within 10 minutes of requesting a callback. One of the best customer service experiences I have ever had really.

Geet
11-07-04, 01:48 AM
does overall performance of the video card change when you go from brand to brand?

ChrisRay
11-07-04, 01:53 AM
No not really, its essentially the same.

YOGIx213
11-07-04, 03:39 AM
Hey, ChrisRay...
We should have a sticky for people who are thinking of buying a Geforce 6800. I know we have "I just ordered/recieved..." sticky but maybe one dedicated to peole who are thinking of buying but have questions like " which brand is better eVGA, BFG, or PNY.. or is PNY a good brand... is my computer up to spec..etc.."

Expect a flood of the same questions when the PCI express cards flood the market.

Maybe call the sticky "Before I buy a Geforce 6600-6800" :ORDER:

If not, just doing my part to help out. :)

TeaEtchSee
11-07-04, 09:23 AM
i would get the cheapest and NV SIlence 5 it.

there all pretty much the same card.

Sovereignxp
11-07-04, 10:53 AM
B. F. G. Tech. The gamers choice!

Geet
11-07-04, 01:46 PM
I'm really wondering which one will last the longest... If BFG is the best, then yes, i'll get that one. But it's $400.

I heard PNY are great cards, but if it breaks, am I screwed? and what's all the talk about green/blue/yellow PCB's?

I don't hear much about eVGA... are they pretty good? they are $10 less than BFG...
The BFG lifetime warranty is looking nice:) does it cover the card if you OC it?

Should I get an extra heatsink/fan to put onto it? will normal gameplay/slight overclocking heat it up too much with the stock cooling device?

Ruined
11-07-04, 03:01 PM
teh bfg!

Sovereignxp
11-07-04, 03:32 PM
Heh, the Yellow PCB is a joke/fake/not real :P

Get the BFG, PNY Support licks monkey nuts.

The BFG is already overclocked. It has a 370Mhz core as compared to the stock GT core of 350Mhz. No. No company will replace your card or honor the warranty if you damage your card via overclocking.

Settle for the 370Mhz already with the kick ass BFG 6800 GT OC.

Geet
11-07-04, 03:46 PM
alrighty, it's just that the PNY was so cheap! oh well... if it broke for one reason or another, i bet i would regret buying it

should i get any heatsink/fan? or is the stock fan good enough for it? also i heard it runs a bit loud... do i need that silencer thing? or is that only if you overclock it like crazy?

Sovereignxp
11-07-04, 03:55 PM
Well to replace the cooler, it is up to you, but know this, If you remove your fan/heatsink and replace it with an NV5 then for some reason your card dies and it needs to be RMA'ed, you may void your warranty unless you know how to put the stock cooler back on and make it look like it was never taken off.

If you feel you want more overclock speed, then yes you may want to replace the BFG cooler with an NV5.

I feel that 370Mhz is enough for my BFG 6800 GT OC. I won't replace my stock custom cooler unless I have to, due to fan failer ect.

Because its a BFG, I doubt I have to worry about fan replacement for years.

Geet
11-07-04, 04:26 PM
ok, thanks, i'm convinced.

It's a BFG Geforce 6800GT for me:)

Sovereignxp
11-07-04, 06:26 PM
Welcome to the BFG club! :)

Oh yeah, I noticed you have a clear computer case. The BFG 6800 GT OC with custom copper cooler has 2 clear fans that have bright blue lit LEDS. That will add to the lightshow in your case. :)

superklye
11-07-04, 06:58 PM
eVGA. They rock...and if you decide you want to upgrade within 90 days of your purchase, you can pay just the difference between whatever card you have and the next step up.

originalnip
11-07-04, 07:05 PM
Good choice, BFG is worth the warranty alone. Nevermind the OC outta the box. I called their tech line late one night, and after three rings someone answered. I was shocked, I literally couldn't speak for a few seconds. I have never called any tech line where someone answered that quickly.

Geet
11-07-04, 07:23 PM
do you all think this video card will run games at a decent quality in 2-3 years? i'm not a rich guy:P and my mom doesn't like the $400... but i bet if she knew we would have to upgrade it for a while, it would ease her a little.

Sovereignxp
11-07-04, 07:33 PM
Well can't really say for sure giving what the future holds. I would imagine that you should get a decent life out of a 6800GT.

Lets see.. ATi's 9700 Pro is a year or 2 old... And the 9800Pro is not to far off.

They are both great cards to this day and can even run doom 3 and HL2.

Both of those cards had 8 Pipes, that is what made them screaming fast back in the day, and those same 8 pipes are allowing a year or 2 old piece of hardware to run doom 3 and HL2.

I'd say a GT with 16 Pipes is going to at least give you 1 1/2 to 2 years of gaming bliss.

But who knows for sure?

bkswaney
11-07-04, 11:33 PM
I give BFG my vote.
I sure love mine. :D

Xav
11-08-04, 12:16 PM
For $10 I'd get the BFG for the warranty alone. Blue LEDs in a clear case...not a bad lil bonus.

Geet
11-08-04, 03:44 PM
OMFG!!! :bash:
I just now find out that the video card is on backorder!!! :lame:

Now they tell me!... it didn't say that before:( :mad:

ChrisRay
11-08-04, 04:39 PM
The only issue I have heard rather blatantly is the cooler for the new 6800GT is actually doing a worse job than a reference design. For some reason I prefer reference cooling solutions until I can actually try the said solution in action or install a new one myself

Sovereignxp
11-08-04, 11:11 PM
Hang in there Geet. The BFG 6800 GT OC is a high demand product.

It's well worth waiting for.

Sorry about the back order :(

Chumbo has the card in stock BUT its in a package deal, $449.99 for a BFG 6800 GT OC, a BFG 550 Watt PSU with DUAL 12 volt rails @ 18Amps each, PCI express ready adapters, SATA power connectors.. (oh yeah this power supply is heavy!) and Doom 3. I know all of this because at our computer shop we have sold 2 kits like this.

Think about it, BFG's Power supply alone goes for $99.00 and doom 3 is $49.99 and the card is $399.99

With the package you save allot.(you get the PSU for almost nothing) I see you have a power supply already, mabey you can get the kit and sell the PSU on ebay or somthing. It's a really good PSU. Oh yeah! There is FREE shipping (Fedex 2 day)! Thats a really great deal. Chumbo.com is a direct dealer of BFG products.

Here is the link if your willing to just go $49.99 more.

http://www.chumbo.com/info.asp?s=MGX-10129098

jAkUp
11-09-04, 12:10 AM
I would go with BFG. I have had a few BIOS issues with my card, and also with my eVGA 5800 Ultra suddenly dying on me. I think I will recommend BFG :)

latinmike
11-09-04, 01:04 AM
I've been shopping for a new video card for some time now... at first I was looking at the 5700 Ultra with 128 GDDR3... but i don't want to upgrade anytime soon

so... naturally... i'm not looking at the 6800GT, I just can't decide which brand.

I've looked around on this forum, found out that PNY offers great cards with the reference chipset or whatever, but no support, crap warranty. eVGA, as I understand it, has decent cards too. BFG, obviously has great cards, already overclocked, and life warranties... but more pricy.

eVGA - 389.99 (CircuitCity)
BFG - 399.99 (BestBuy)
PNY - 363.67 (Through Adamant -- which has some bad reviews) or 367.99 (Through Adamant but on their Ebay store -- which has much better reviews)

any suggestions on which one i should get? I really don't want to upgrade my video card again for a LONG time...

**EDIT** Oh, btw, all the cards are the same specs (except for the BFG because of the OC) and have 256 DDR3 RAM

and what does opening pipelines mean and how do you do it?
pny support may not be that good but never needed it got 3 cards in all from pny my older cards still work great and my new GT 6800 at 400/ 1.0 this the best,at load 63c/42c. :) :) :) :)