PDA

View Full Version : Texture Corruption: Artifacts or Software Issues?

MX/MX400
11-07-04, 07:19 AM
Ok, so I know texture corruption can be a form of artifacting, but in my case the texture corruption I'm noticing is rather strange...

What I mean by that is, I'm noticing it consistantly at certain points in certain games regardless of my card's settings (default or softmod/oc) and regardless of the res/AA/AF settings. I've tried changing drivers but so far I've seen no difference with the WHQL 66.81s or the 61.77s... and the weirdest thing is that these "corruptions" is that they aren't occuring during periods where my card is under heavy load (as you can see in the pics there's not a whole lot going on there) or due to heat (r-tuner's hardware monitor was reporting temps in the low-mid 70's when all of the attached screenshots were taken).

These corruptions only seem to occur in one area, per game... ie, in KOTOR, the floor-siding texture is corrupt in that one rectange everytime but the rest of the siding on the entire ship is rendered without issue; and in Tribes, the texture for that one ceiling beam is corrupt but the very next beam down the hall (using the same exact texture) is rendered perfectly. And what's more confusing is the fact that the corruptions are only visible when rotating the camera angle....

Is my card just being a :retard: or could something else be going on here that I'm unaware of? Is this that infamous shimmering issue the 6800s supposedly have?

|MaguS|
11-07-04, 07:24 AM
Its not the shimmering issue, but it most likely driver related or a game bug. Have you tried completly cleaning your drivers with "Driver Cleaner"?

MX/MX400
11-07-04, 07:35 AM
Actually yes. I tried uninstalling my gfx card, booting into safe mode, running driver cleaner and then reinstalling but there was no change. :bash:

I uploaded another cap from doom3, this time with the camera position changed slightly to give an idea of the corruption in motion. I can't seem to figure out what's causing it, but I would think that if there was something physically worng with my card the corruptions would be occuring all over the place.... not just in a single texture block in only a few games, right?

Thus far I haven't noticed any corruption in Far Cry, 3DMark or RTHDRIBL....

|MaguS|
11-07-04, 08:45 AM
Could it be a Dell Bios issue? Have you tried contacting Dell?

MX/MX400
11-07-04, 10:17 AM
Gawd, Dell's customer service is a migrane waiting to happen.... that'll be a last resort :p

subbo
11-07-04, 10:41 AM
Looks like normal polygon face intersection, you get this in the distance with most nvidia cards and driver combinations. I think it has to do with the depth buffer accuracy. Did you set your IQ setting too low?

MX/MX400
11-07-04, 10:56 AM
Did you set your IQ setting too low?

Nope... actually it shows up even with my card set on High Quality/all opts off.

MX/MX400
11-07-04, 05:06 PM
Any other ideas? It is a pretty minor gripe really, but one I would like to get resolved...

*EDIT*: Piggybacking off of Subbo's post I've noticed RivaTuner has depth buffer tweakers for OGL and D3D... any ideas on what values I might need to change to fix this?

MX/MX400
11-08-04, 01:03 PM
bump!1