PDA

View Full Version : Why do we do it?????

Pages : [1] 2

Eltigre88
11-07-04, 08:06 AM
Why overclock when the cards already kick butt??

Pandora's Box
11-07-04, 08:11 AM
cus we like to achieve the 5fps u gain from overclocking.

TacT
11-07-04, 08:35 AM
Because we like more pie

|MaguS|
11-07-04, 08:44 AM
Baby wants Pancakes!

TeaEtchSee
11-07-04, 09:21 AM
i dont overclock that much....overclockin can shorten the 3dcards lifetime...im not a rich person to be replacing one left n right.

my clocks is 370/1020 It still better then stock :D

subbo
11-07-04, 09:50 AM
Darn I thought this was going to be a sex-ed thread. :drooling:

Knot3D
11-07-04, 10:07 AM
The sole 'life purpose' of the GT card is OC'ing it to Ultra speeds. Remember that Nvidia only planned the Ultra and Non-Ultra at first.

I OC for AA settings and better minimum f/ps. I got a Gainward golden sample GT ; it's guaranteed to work a lifetime OC'd. :ORDER:

circuitbreaker8
11-07-04, 10:15 AM
The sole 'life purpose' of the GT card is OC'ing it to Ultra speeds. Remember that Nvidia only planned the Ultra and Non-Ultra at first.

I OC for AA settings and better minimum f/ps. I got a Gainward golden sample GT ; it's guaranteed to work a lifetime OC'd. :ORDER:

A 6800 ultra @ 400/1100 is still faster than a GT @ 400/1100

Peoples-Agent
11-07-04, 10:17 AM
It's a sad "by product hobby" that comes with the purchase of the card , and im all for it !

Shorten life....HA HA ...if it lasts a year or two then its done its job, then onto new things good and great, got no plans to entire mine into the OAP Olympics, let em enjoy her retirement, for now she can endure super model status!

Saintster
11-07-04, 10:24 AM
No use in overclocking my 6800 ultra.kicks butt stock.I only overclock when the life of my card comes to and end I have only had to oc my geforce ti 500 because i usually upgrade often but I'll kepp this rig for awhile so ocing may happen down the road but these cards are so powerful who knows how long it will take software to catch up!

Eltigre88
11-07-04, 10:26 AM
cus we like to achieve the 5fps u gain from overclocking.

I hope your being sarcastic! Is 5 frames really worth it!

Pandora's Box
11-07-04, 10:29 AM
i only overclock to see how far i can go. dont usually run my card overclocked.

Sovereignxp
11-07-04, 10:51 AM
I won't overclock my BFG, not even at gunpoint. :P (Well mabey then. :) )

The GT is fast, screw 5 more frames. If you get 20 or 40.. then mabey (And I'm not talking moldy old Quake 3).

Only for 5 frames? Forget it.

circuitbreaker8
11-07-04, 11:07 AM
I won't overclock my BFG, not even at gunpoint. :P (Well mabey then. :) )

The GT is fast, screw 5 more frames. If you get 20 or 40.. then mabey (And I'm not talking moldy old Quake 3).

Only for 5 frames? Forget it.

True dat. :retard:

jAkUp
11-07-04, 11:23 AM
Hey sometimes 5 frames is the difference between playable and unplayable. And killing hardware is just an excuse to upgrade ;)

Jeez in 2 years it will be old news anyways... might as well kill it off as soon as possible :lol2:

OWA
11-07-04, 11:32 AM
A 6800 ultra @ 400/1100 is still faster than a GT @ 400/1100
I don't think this is always the case. If anything, the GT seems a little faster in my system when I use the same clock settings for both. Of course, in the end the Ultra is faster b/c I can overclock it further than the GT.

Knot3D
11-07-04, 11:47 AM
I don't think this is always the case. If anything, the GT seems a little faster in my system when I use the same clock settings for both. Of course, in the end the Ultra is faster b/c I can overclock it further than the GT.

Having read numerous reviews I agree ; Good brand GT's indeed surpass Ultra's sometimes at same clockspeeds. But I don't understand the point he was trying to make in the first place ; ppl who want more speed (Ultra) pay more, right ?

Gollan
11-07-04, 12:02 PM
ppl who want more speed (Ultra) pay more, right ?:) But what if you already have the Ultra? People buy the best they can afford and they overclock to make up the difference. I do it because I find it interesting and fun. For me the challenge is safely breaking personal records in 3DMark03. I am well aware that my overclocking will not have any practical effect on my gaming. I think it is just groovy to wake up and see that my computer passed an overnight stability test at some insane (but carefully chosen) clock setting.

Pandora's Box
11-07-04, 02:09 PM
basic theory behind overclocking is to allow you to use the hardware for a bit longer before being forced to upgrade. if games start to lag, crank up the clock speeds!

theultimo
11-07-04, 02:49 PM
basic theory behind overclocking is to allow you to use the hardware for a bit longer before being forced to upgrade. if games start to lag, crank up the clock speeds!

Exactly my theory. When I had my GF2MX, i played UT at 800x600, with a 15" monitor. Bought a 17" CRT, wanted to play at 1024x768, barely could. I OC/ed that puppy pretty far, and while it didn't last too long, I played UT and other games perfectly in 1999/2000. Card died in 2001 though. (Hercules 3dprophet II MX, btw)

Eltigre88
11-07-04, 03:13 PM

Ok I get the to stretch technology theory, but these cards are not even a year old yet and all you here is I OC'd to this and that. I think it is rediculous is all.

boro
11-07-04, 03:25 PM
Why overclock when the cards already kick butt??

Because you can feel the difference in some games at high resolution. Like Doom3 and farcry with HDR

And because it's so easy. If it was a hardware mod I probably wouldn't overclock it yet.

Slammin
11-07-04, 07:26 PM

As I understand it, though the Ultra uses faster ram, the ram in the Ultra has higher latency than the 'slower' ram the GT uses. This is why flashing your GT with an Ultra bios slows you down. I could clock my ram up MUCH higher when I tried the Ultra bios in my GT, but my 3DMark scores were all lower than they are with GT bios.

ragejg
11-07-04, 10:21 PM
boom, nail on the head... correct... ///hobby/// ... yep. :) Overclocking is a hobby. Just like hot-rodding your car, it's not by the book and ma scare/alienate OEM types, but is fun and worth it for the gratification it gives.

Sucka
11-08-04, 01:36 AM
For me it's a hobby. I push all my rigs to the max they can do. If i could get one more FSB, or one more MHz on the core, i would do it. I spend countless hours just testing stability because i find it to be fun. Does it suck when my computer reboots over and over, and eventually crashes windows, oh you betcha :lol2:

Everything i have is maxed out, to the point of stability. I won't run anything if it's not stable in my eyes. And then on the weekend, i try and get it higher, change my voltages, look for new ways to cool it, ect. I buy hardware all the time, most of which i only own for a few months before it moves into an old rig, or i sell it. I work very hard for my money, and i like to spend it even more! I have an x800XT on the way right now, i always gotta test everything before i decide what goes into my "main rig". :)