PDA

View Full Version : Exasperation station

fastguy94416
11-08-04, 09:28 PM
So here I am, trying to back up my HL2 preorder using valve's handy backup compression tool deal. Ok, first time around, it crashes about 2 gigs into it. No problem, just restart. Same deal. So i delete the offending file, seems to be a corruption issue, re preload, and start over. This sime it happends about about 3 of 4 gigs. Lather, rinse, repeat. Finally, it went all the way through. Guess what? My new steam backup file is not a valid win32 application! Yahoozers, yippie, joy, Go kill yourself valve developers.

(any threats meant only as an expression of anger, not actual intent to wish someone to kill themselves.)

theultimo
11-08-04, 09:29 PM
So here I am, trying to back up my HL2 preorder using valve's handy backup compression tool deal. Ok, first time around, it crashes about 2 gigs into it. No problem, just restart. Same deal. So i delete the offending file, seems to be a corruption issue, re preload, and start over. This sime it happends about about 3 of 4 gigs. Lather, rinse, repeat. Finally, it went all the way through. Guess what? My new steam backup file is not a valid win32 application! Yahoozers, yippie, joy, Go kill yourself valve developers.

(any threats meant only as an expression of anger, not actual intent to wish someone to kill themselves.)

? what compression tool is this?

For the record, i used 3 DVD-r's to backup.

|MaguS|
11-08-04, 09:45 PM
Why are you backing the preload? Your going to have to download more by release...

fastguy94416
11-08-04, 09:46 PM
type steam://backup into your run dialoge or web broswer, it theoretically gets everything able to be on one dvd-r, or dvd-rw in my case in case something significant changes