PDA

View Full Version : Starforce Disc Protection

|MaguS|
11-09-04, 09:57 AM
Ok, Im bringing this discussion up because Im constantly hearing complaints from honest gamers about this protection, what problems do you have with the protection? Is it because it won't allow you to run a game if you have CDROM Emulation software installed? In all honesty, not honest gamer needs such software.

The software was developed to aid piracy and nothing more. I do not know any programmer or even a profession that requires such software. Sure it elimantes the need to swap out discs when you have many games installed but saddly this is also against the EULA that you "signed" when you purchased and installed the game.

Now the only other excuse I can think of is that honest gamers want to make backups of thier games well, while this is legal sort of, it is not really required anymore since most (if not all) games are covered under a 90 day warranty like most hardware and after 90 days publishers will replace any damaged game with a new one for a small price (from $10 to $15) so this isn't much different from hardware. If you purchased a PS2 and it goes poof in 4 months, Sony usually charges around $50+ to fix it, sometimes if your lucky they will only charge shipping, same with Game Publishers. I have seen many times Game Publishers offer game replacements if the game was defective due to thier fault (Capcom recently recalled SFC on the Xbox and will replace it for free).

Now I know many people will complain that since they purchased the software they should be allowed to do whatever they want with it, but saddly thats not the case. If you were to read the EULA it clearly states that you NEVER actually own the software, but purchasing it at the store you are only purchasing the right to use it and have limited ownership of it.

Starforce is the strongest piracy protection currently available and if continues to work, wouldn't that be good? I mean publishers claim that the prices of PC Titles has increased due to development costs and Piracy. If Piracy is even slowed down on major titles by Starforce wouldn't that be good? Wouldn't/Couldn't that lead to lower prices since if a player wants to try a game he must purchase it insted of downloading it?

Now Im not against Burning software, I actually have Nero currently installed. I do not use it to copy or Burn Software though, Only to burn TV Shows onto DVD since I hate VHS and do not want use it to record my TV programs and rather use my PC (PC = Tivo).

So please elighten me onto why Starforce is so bad?

PS: Here are acouple links to anyone who wants to check out the Publishers Disc Replacement policy.

EA Warranty (http://eatech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eatech.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=16257&p_created=1098307925&p_sid=vYuXk4qh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9ncmlkc29yd D0mcF9yb3dfY250PTEzMSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPXNlYXJjaF9 ubCZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT0mcF9wcm9kX2x2bDI9JnBfY2F0X2x2b DE9JnBfY2F0X2x2bDI9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ 9ZGFtYWdlZCBkaXNj&p_li=)
UbiSoft Warranty (http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ubisoft.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?<?%20print("p_sid=$p_sid&p_lva=$p_lva&p_li=$p_li")%20?>&p_faqid=205&p_created=961794660)
Vivendi Universal Warranty (http://support2.vugames.com/vug/answer.aspx?ID=2828)

MUYA
11-09-04, 10:02 AM
Starforce is the only protection system that succefully protects from no -cd and no-dvd cracks..that is why.

And no more on this thread as no-cds and no-dvds are used in warez. So thread closed.