PDA

View Full Version : *SPOILERS*Halo 2's Ending Thread

Ninjaman09
11-10-04, 06:37 PM
Should I even call it an ending? What a good idea, let's finish the game right before the climax! Brilliant thinking, Bungie! Worst ending in a video game, ever. No contest. I'd even settle for a ****ty old "YOU FINISH GAME CONGRATULATIONS" message from the old Nintendo games over this one. At least that had some closure. I don't mind a game leaving room for a sequel, but this was ridiculous.

WeReWoLf
11-10-04, 07:10 PM
That's how the book ends.

Ninjaman09
11-10-04, 07:51 PM
So? The Halo series wasn't a book series first, it was a video game series. The games are the source material for the books (I guess, I haven't read any of them). Either way, ending the game right before the climax was pretty lame, considering it'll be at least another 4-5 years before we see a sequel. Makes no sense at all.

I still loved the game.

Slybri
11-10-04, 08:01 PM
What! Somebody saying something bad about HALO 2!

Blasphemy!!!

LOL

Already they're trying to sell you Halo 3...

hope the multiplayer makes up for it.

I also hope Half Life 2 ends better...I hear they set up for Half Life 3.

Ninjaman09
11-10-04, 08:08 PM
Oh god, the multiplayer is AWESOME. :drooling:

Don't get me wrong, the single player game is a blast. Just a horrible, horrible ending.

theultimo
11-10-04, 08:38 PM
What! Somebody saying something bad about HALO 2!

Blasphemy!!!

LOL

Already they're trying to sell you Halo 3...

hope the multiplayer makes up for it.

I also hope Half Life 2 ends better...I hear they set up for Half Life 3.

From what i've heard, HL2 seems to have the "OMG NEED TO SET UP SEQUEL" ending too :wonder:

Vash
11-10-04, 08:54 PM
I don't know if I'd call it a horrible ending... it was abrupt, but they were makin' like a movie for the rest of the story, why not end it in a cliffhanger like the second movie in a trilogy?

Aw, screw it. I can see it both ways. I feel a bit cheated that Tartarus was the final challenge, but I love the story and am very glad to see that they weren't afraid to do things with it. Major stuff: the Covenant is falling apart from the inside, the Flood apparently dogpiled enough to create some sort of central intelligence, and now all the remaining Halos in the universe have been primed.

My guess is Halo 3 will be a launch title for the Xbox 2. Until then, I'm gonna be a serious MP junkie... it's too much freaking fun.

Ninjaman09
11-10-04, 09:34 PM
My guess is Halo 3 will be a launch title for the Xbox 2. Until then, I'm gonna be a serious MP junkie... it's too much freaking fun.
No kidding. I haven't had this much fun playing a multiplayer game since Team Fortress came out for Quake. God, Halo 2 is so awesome.

WeReWoLf
11-10-04, 09:45 PM
lol "bet you can't stick it" "your on"

Raptorman
11-10-04, 09:46 PM
I like the ending cuz it makes me anticipate Halo 3. Will I be at the store at midnight for Halo 3? Yes.

Ninjaman09
11-10-04, 10:07 PM
Well yeah, me too! How could I not be? It's a great sci-fi epic story. Can't wait for 3, but I'm gonna enjoy the hell outta 2 for now. X-Box Live rules.

Edge
11-10-04, 11:46 PM
Haha, I just finished the game a few minutes ago, and the first thing I thought was "I have to complain about this on Nvnews.net" :D . Yeah, that wasn't much of an ending at all, not only did they end it on a cliffhanger, but they ended it on MULTIPLE cliffhangers. Yeesh, even Matrix Reloaded had more closure than that. To quote the Evolution of Halo video: "What?!? That's IT?".

Otherwise though, very fun. Especially near the end where you get back into the large-scale battles with multiple sides. There were definatly a lot of moments during the campaign, and vehicle hijacking becomes quite fun once you get the hang of it. They certainly made some substantial improvements from the original, it's just too bad the ending wasn't one of them. The thing I really don't get though is why they obviously left it so open when Bungie stated that they wanted their next game to be something other than Halo 3. I'd probably rule out a Halo 3 for the Xbox 2's launch if for no other reason than because I don't think they'd be able to finish it in time, even if they've been working on Halo 3 for the past 6 months that's still only a year and a half of development time, and Halo 2 was in development for 3 years. But they certainly started a very interesting storyline, it could develop into something major pretty quickly. In fact it sounds like Halo 3 could be set primarilly on Earth, which is what we expected Halo 2 to do but suprisingly only about a quarter of the game was spent there.

Now that I look back, I think Breakdown should be a model for how games should do their endings. It brings great closure to the game and makes you feel like you accomplished something, but still really leaves it open for a sequel (which will never be made because the game sold poorly...). Actually I felt the overall story in that game was quite impressive...they should get the guys who wrote that game to do the story for other games, since they seem to be pretty damn good at it.

Marcos
11-11-04, 01:54 PM
is anyone suprised that it had a lame ending?

Edge
11-11-04, 02:03 PM
Well, many reviews did say that the ending was pretty crappy, but I didn't expect it to be QUITE as crappy as it was. So I was mildly surprised, though I did brace for it.

circuitbreaker8
11-11-04, 09:54 PM
Anyone happen to see the short cutscene of cortana and that weird alien thing after the credits?! Can you say halo 3...

MACHINE573
11-13-04, 08:24 AM
I don't think it'll be halo 3 more like Halo 2.X it looks like they're trying to give people insentive to jump on XBOX live. They will most likely release chapters to download and to finish off the story line. and considering how fast the load time is on each chapter it'll probably be an easy thing. Can you say HALO ONLINE SERIAL?

Riptide
11-13-04, 08:45 AM
Anyone know where I can get a full set of spoilers? I am curious to find out exactly what happens in the Halo2 story without playing the game. Tx..

Vash
11-13-04, 11:11 AM
Well, if you give them some time, level transcripts will show up at HBO. (http://halosm.bungie.org/story/) The ones they have for the first game are very complete; that should give you all the spoilers you could want.

Edge
11-13-04, 04:03 PM
Or you could, you know, play the game :p . Actually if I had a video capture card I would probably rip the cutscene from the game and compile them into a mini-movie, some of those are pretty cool and I find myself going back through old levels anyway just to see some of the cutscenes.

pat777
11-14-04, 07:52 PM
Should I even call it an ending? What a good idea, let's finish the game right before the climax! Brilliant thinking, Bungie! Worst ending in a video game, ever. No contest. I'd even settle for a ****ty old "YOU FINISH GAME CONGRATULATIONS" message from the old Nintendo games over this one. At least that had some closure. I don't mind a game leaving room for a sequel, but this was ridiculous.
From the spoilers I read, I think they would have to change to gameplay a lot if they continued.

perrson
11-14-04, 09:30 PM
could the legendary mode maybe have a different ending?

saturnotaku
11-14-04, 10:13 PM
could the legendary mode maybe have a different ending?

No, the game ends the same regardless of the difficulty level you play.

Don't rule out the possibility of Halo 3, it simply might not be Bungie that creates it. Perhaps they have penned the end of the story and another developer might pick it up and finish it off.