PDA

View Full Version : Leadtek 6800 GT onboard speaker

RealLifePixelShader
11-11-04, 02:28 AM
I would like to know why there is a speaker/beeper on the top right hand side of my leadtek GT card.

Is this to warn me if the power connector is not in place?

Have a look at the pick

I would also like to know if other brand name cards have it to.

RealLifePixelShader
11-11-04, 02:30 AM
Sorry heres the pic

Megasaxon
11-11-04, 02:31 AM
and uh where is this so called speaker :o?

I'm guessing you mean the whatsit with the sorta "backwards cap" on it (up the top right)

If so, it's definately not a "speaker" of any kind.

http://www.sux2b.us/stuff/6800GT%20001.jpg

That's my card up the top, i have the same thing, only mines black.

RealLifePixelShader
11-11-04, 02:36 AM
OK have a look at the new pic I marked if for you , I KNOW it has a yellow lable over it but on my card ther lable is removed and is 100% for &^%$&^% real a speaker/beeper like the once you come time get on mobos.

55illinois
11-11-04, 02:37 AM
In both pictures, it's the thing just to the upper left of the power connector. Black on yours and has a white sticker on it in the first pic (edit: the thing the arrow is now pointing at in the pic). It is definitely a speaker, and yes, it is to inform you if the power is not being supplied. Try unpugging the molex connector and turning on your PC if you don't believe me. It's quite annoying. And it's part of the reference design, so I'd assume all cards have it.

and uh where is this so called speaker :o?

I'm guessing you mean the whatsit with the sorta "backwards cap" on it (up the top right)

If so, it's definately not a "speaker" of any kind.

http://www.sux2b.us/stuff/6800GT%20001.jpg

That's my card up the top, i have the same thing, only mines black.

Kahju
11-11-04, 02:38 AM
Yeah my Gainward Ultra has beeper in the same place. What I've read thats just the reason for the beeper. To make horrible racket when the card isn't plugged in to the extra power it needs.

bkswaney
11-11-04, 02:41 AM
My BFG has a speaker/buzzer for sure.
It goes off in case the card overheats.
But I'm not sure of all 6800 has this feature.

My card does not have a cover over it.
http://www.rojakpot.com/review/BFG/6800GT

55illinois
11-11-04, 02:43 AM
I'm pretty sure it's unrelated to heat. The fan died on my GT and the thing got up to like 140-150C and caused various reboots/BSODs/freezes before I realized what was going on (I had thought it was CPU overclock problems before I ever checked the temp on the GT). The speaker never went off then. While I was trying to fix the fan, though, I put the card back in my PC w/o plugging the molex back in. That definitely got an excellent high-pitched whine out of the speaker to remind me to put that connector back in.

My BFG has a speaker/buzzer for sure.
It goes off in case the card overheats.
But I'm not sure of all 6800 has this feature.

bkswaney
11-11-04, 02:47 AM
I'm pretty sure it's unrelated to heat. The fan died on my GT and the thing got up to like 140-150C and caused various reboots/BSODs/freezes before I realized what was going on (I had thought it was CPU overclock problems before I ever checked the temp on the GT). The speaker never went off then. While I was trying to fix the fan, though, I put the card back in my PC w/o plugging the molex back in. That definitely got an excellent high-pitched whine out of the speaker to remind me to put that connector back in.

Nope.... I've read about it some where being
for heat etc.

bkswaney
11-11-04, 02:47 AM
Here u go....
Page 5.

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=140&var2=0

Megasaxon
11-11-04, 02:49 AM
Interesting, i've certainly never heard anything from it, that said i've never unplugged the power connnector either..

Well then, i guess i retract my former statement :)

Never seen one of them on a mobo either, heh.

55illinois
11-11-04, 03:01 AM
Hmm, well I see what it says there, but from personal experience, I say that is incorrect. The temp threshold is 120C in the driver, and I've gone WELL past that (unintentionally) when my fan wasn't spinning, and the buzzer definitely did not go off.

Here u go....
Page 5.

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=140&var2=0

Chippy
11-11-04, 03:42 AM
Hmm, well I see what it says there, but from personal experience, I say that is incorrect. The temp threshold is 120C in the driver, and I've gone WELL past that (unintentionally) when my fan wasn't spinning, and the buzzer definitely did not go off.

It probably melted ;-)

NoWayDude
11-11-04, 09:09 AM
The buzer on my XFX will go off if there is no power conector plug in into the card itself
Can not clarify if it will go off regarding overheating or passing the 120 treshold though.

betterdan
11-11-04, 10:59 AM
Someone please fry their card so we can see if the alarm goes off :retard:

dpagan
11-11-04, 11:43 AM
it's not a speaker it's a mike, they are spying on you with evil intent, so please cover it with some tape, the world must know, mission accomplished *this message will self distruct once thread is closed*

H3avyM3tal
11-11-04, 02:37 PM
It is a speaker, and it works if your power plung is not pluged. in.

Decimator
11-11-04, 09:56 PM
One of the 12V lines in my PC is connected to a fan speed controller (which is set to to about half speed normally) and I mistakenly plugged that into my Gainward GT when I first got it, consequently, when I tried to power it up, a long beep came out of the speaker, so presumably it will beep if there is inadequate voltage too, as well as none at all.

ChrisRay
11-11-04, 10:15 PM
Both my reference 6800NU and PNY 6800GT have this speaker. It has gone off under 2 circumstances (Not plugged into the power supply) or not seated in AGP slot properly. For me anyway.

hyakki
11-13-04, 06:19 AM
its not a speaker so to speak its more like a electric whistle and it will make a very loud noise when it doesn't have enough power from the 4 pin molex or if its unpluged or if the card isnt seated in the agp slot correctly

these kinds of speakers (or whistles) were often used in 56k modems or old motherboards