PDA

View Full Version : Steam ---> HL2 installation...

PaiN
11-11-04, 08:33 PM
Anyone know if you have a "Steam" version of HL2, when the game is activated and unlocked if it'll be "installable" to different drive\directory or will it have to be played from where Steam is installed?

FierceDeityLink
11-12-04, 05:50 AM
Probably where Steam is installed, unless you change it in the registry and move the folders.

Morrow
11-12-04, 07:27 AM
Anyone know if you have a "Steam" version of HL2, when the game is activated and unlocked if it'll be "installable" to different drive\directory or will it have to be played from where Steam is installed?

HL2 has to played from the Steam folder like all other Steam games.

Of course you can always reinstall Steam on another drive and copy the GCF files over to that new destination.

PaiN
11-12-04, 07:31 AM
ya...I'm thinking I'll copy the "steam apps" file to the array I want my games running off....then uninstall Steam from C: and reinstall to the new location.

PaiN
11-12-04, 12:09 PM
In case anyone wants to move thier Steam dir....
I copied the entire "Valve" dir from C:\Program files to D:\. Then uninstalled Steam and reinstalled pointing setup to D:\Valve\Steam ....worked like a charm :) All my info and games carried over.

D:\ is two 74gb Raptors in RAID"0" off the ICH5R sb that's what I like to run games from...

|JuiceZ|
11-12-04, 01:29 PM
In case anyone wants to move thier Steam dir....
I copied the entire "Valve" dir from C:\Program files to D:\. Then uninstalled Steam and reinstalled pointing setup to D:\Valve\Steam ....worked like a charm :) All my info and games carried over.

D:\ is two 74gb Raptors in RAID"0" off the ICH5R sb that's what I like to run games from...

Pimp, thx for "testing" that for us :D

GlowStick
11-12-04, 01:29 PM
Also valve putin a steam game backup utility that could of done more or less the same thing heh. To access it, right click on the game and select Backup.