PDA

View Full Version : Gamespot's Final Hours of Half Life 2

six_storm
11-11-04, 10:56 PM
Hey guys,
Someone just posted the address for the final hours article coming tommorrow. Check it out; the first page is already up:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/finalhoursofhl2teaser/index.html

nutcrackr
11-11-04, 11:23 PM
It should be a great read. I like the last part - "The Scanner gets it" :D

GlowStick
11-12-04, 12:42 AM
Nice read, however i think it makes valve seem better than they are?

|JuiceZ|
11-12-04, 01:13 AM
Nice read, however i think it makes valve seem better than they are?

The article is nice but I'm just ready to play the d4mn game already :p

jAkUp
11-12-04, 01:35 AM
Nice! Cant wait for the rest of the article :)

faraday
11-12-04, 03:06 AM
Gaahh I want to know more :retard:

six_storm
11-12-04, 06:55 AM
It was a nice little teaser of a read. The rest will be up at 3:30 PST today (I think). Can't wait to read it.

anzak
11-12-04, 05:36 PM
The full article is up!!!

GlowStick
11-12-04, 05:53 PM
The full article is up!!!
EDIT

NM, had to find a flash link at the top heh

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6112889/?q=1&tag=gs_hp_topslot_click

anzak
11-12-04, 05:55 PM
ROFL nvm.

GlowStick
11-12-04, 07:10 PM
On that note, one cabal has already started work on what Newell refers to as the "ATI levels," a series of single-player levels that will require a super-high-end graphics card to run. Valve hopes to release those over Steam later this year.
Very intresting, however sounds like they are going to make sure the levels preform best on ATi hardware. Intresting indeed!~

nutcrackr
11-12-04, 07:50 PM
Holy crap, 25 pages is more than I had expected but it was a very good read all the way through. I got the impression they really didn't start the game until like summer 2002 :bash:

Few nice pics they included and lots of detail, really it was quite entertaining.

anzak
11-12-04, 08:06 PM
Newell is hoping that the other cabals will move on to creating episodic single-player content that will be released in chunks over Steam.

One tentative plan calls for Valve to start developing an episodic game that lets players assume the role of Alyx Vance. "I'd love to play a game that tells the story of Alyx and Doc, her pet Robot," Newell says.

Finally there is one other game on the horizon: Team Fortress 2, which Newell says is far from a dead project.

aAv7
11-12-04, 09:10 PM
Holy crap, 25 pages is more than I had expected but it was a very good read all the way through. I got the impression they really didn't start the game until like summer 2002 :bash:

Few nice pics they included and lots of detail, really it was quite entertaining.

I got that same impression. Seemed like things didnt really get underway till 02.

Vash
11-12-04, 09:25 PM
That was a good read. Thanks for the linkage, Jak. I'd been wondering exactly what happened at Valve... and it sounds like lots and lots of pressure.

Slybri
11-13-04, 07:49 AM
There were too many spoilers about HL2's story in there for my liking. BUt it was an interesting read.
What really bothers me is "ATI Levels." Hopefully Gabe wasn't being too literal and my 6800gt can run them.

PowerK
11-13-04, 10:29 AM
What really bothers me is "ATI Levels." Hopefully Gabe wasn't being too literal and my 6800gt can run them.
I think they just call it "ATI Levels" for PR purposes. I'm sure it'll run on 6800 series just as well as it will on X800 series.

***CENSORED***
11-13-04, 11:38 AM
A fantastic read!

six_storm
11-13-04, 12:22 PM
Wow, I didn't get to read it until this morning but it was a well worth read. Props to Gamespot, my fav gaming site. It's pretty cool to hear things from Gabe (and Valve's) POV for once. I remember when I was dissapointed that HL2 didn't make it Sept. 30th last year but "All if forgiven now".

six_storm
11-13-04, 12:38 PM
Hey, if anybody is going to buy a new PC for Half Life 2:

http://www.alienware.com/standalone_pages/half_life2.aspx

Nice PC, very expensive. It's an Alienware!

ST:DS9
11-14-04, 11:41 AM
"ATI Level" according to the article said that it was denoting that a very highend card would be needed to play those levels. And since ATI did the standards of DX9 and so did Nvidia with the 6800 cards, I don't think we'll have to worry about it.

aAv7
11-14-04, 12:10 PM
If anything "ATI levels" mean 3dC enhancements. It's the only thing ATI has that nv40 can't do. And since Valve delayed this game for a year, they owe ati ALOT. So you can bet they'll (valve) milk any special features ati cards have to help push ati's boasting of " the card to get for the biggest game of the year".

Nvidia high end card owners will also be able to play these levels-unless valve does some b.s coding where only 3dc capable cards are applicable. But a crack wouldnt be too far off. Just dont expect it to run as fast on a nv40 vs. r420.