PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800GT with 1.4 bios

Faster
11-12-04, 01:12 AM
I had a high clock to start with about 405/1080 with stock cooling and a Ambient case temp of 45c. Dam prescott cpu. Anyway

I got a siliencer and took my GPU down to about 55c idle and about 65c load. This I was happy with. I then went on to do the 1.4v bios trick. Well things didnt turn out as good as I had hoped. Temps only went up a few degrees, but in 3Dmark03 and 05 at a random point in either game 4 in 03 or the water one in 05, I get a whole screen of jumbled colors. looks really bad and I have to restart the computer.

The annoying thing is, everything else seems to run fine even at 425/1150 or so. And the Auto Optimium detect feature goes from 409/1100 to 433/1190. So I tried different drivers but didnt seem to help and in the end I just got angry and went back to my old 1.3v bios and 410/1100 which is high as I can go, after that artifacts (Small ones, like a triangle flash ever now and again) start appearing. So if anyone has any ideas why the 1.4v bios didnt help me let me know.

Also I would be interested in hearing about anyone with a sucessfull ultra bios flash onto a GT. :)

JGene
11-12-04, 03:25 AM
I flashed my BFG 6800GT (reference HSF) in the middle of July to the Leadtek Ultra bios. My idle temperature went from 53c to 56c and the max load temp went from 74c to about 85c. That said my max OC went from 429/1090 to 434/11xx. I leave it at the Ultra default of 400/1100 and I've had it that way for about four months now.

My only problem is that 3DMark2003 causes my computer to reboot but I think that it's a power-draw problem and not a video issue. Doom III works great for me though :)

xrotanimret
11-12-04, 04:24 AM
I had a high clock to start with about 405/1080 with stock cooling and a Ambient case temp of 45c. Dam prescott cpu. Anyway

I got a siliencer and took my GPU down to about 55c idle and about 65c load. This I was happy with. I then went on to do the 1.4v bios trick. Well things didnt turn out as good as I had hoped. Temps only went up a few degrees, but in 3Dmark03 and 05 at a random point in either game 4 in 03 or the water one in 05, I get a whole screen of jumbled colors. looks really bad and I have to restart the computer.

The annoying thing is, everything else seems to run fine even at 425/1150 or so. And the Auto Optimium detect feature goes from 409/1100 to 433/1190. So I tried different drivers but didnt seem to help and in the end I just got angry and went back to my old 1.3v bios and 410/1100 which is high as I can go, after that artifacts (Small ones, like a triangle flash ever now and again) start appearing. So if anyone has any ideas why the 1.4v bios didnt help me let me know.

Also I would be interested in hearing about anyone with a sucessfull ultra bios flash onto a GT. :)
Wow.. same exact story with my BFG 6800 GT as well, except that I went back to the stock BIOS.

Ironmanstl
11-12-04, 07:28 PM
run riva in the background and see if what your temps are under load
and see if it is throttlling down to a lower speed

Faster
11-12-04, 07:36 PM
run riva in the background and see if what your temps are under load
and see if it is throttlling down to a lower speed

My temps I have since worked out are getting to high for my card.

With my Original Bios they never go above 65c but with the 1.4v they are getting well towards 80c. My computer case is inside a Desk with a little unit for the computer. So until I can come up with a better cooling solution or more case fans blowing in fresh air I think, I am just going to have to deal with 410/1100. I also am going to look into overclocking the NV5 so the fan spins faster to help exhust more hot air.

Ironmanstl
11-12-04, 07:56 PM
I tried a few diff fan combos with the nv5 last week
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40203&highlight=iron

remove your nv5 heatsink, see if one side of the gpu has more thermal paste than the other, if so it is not mounted evenly and temps rise alot more

putting a 120mm side intake on my case lowered temps quite a bit as well
My 6800 is now idling at 47gpu / and 26amb
load is 64/34

whats your case temp at load?

Faster
11-12-04, 09:37 PM
I have a Prescott CPU with a Copper Zalman cooler. The CPU Cooler is very Quiet and pretty efficent but the prescott is just such a HOT cpu. My Case temp is normaly around 45c. So I do realise this is diffinately part of the Problem. Dropping my case to room temp or even 30c would let my GPU run 10c cooler.

Going to have to Cut a hole in the side of my Desk and mount a Large fan in it :) What a project :p

Faster
11-12-04, 09:42 PM
I am also thinking about a Small Voltage increase circuit attached to the silencer fan, maybe from a Fan plug on the MB as I am not sure about this 'Fan always On' setting in the Nvidia drivers. I am starting to think that the fan isnt always running Flat out.

This will allow me to step the Fans Voltage up to say 13v or 14v, this should get a few 100 or so more RPM. The Silencer is very quiet and the 4 other Case fans I already have are much louder so making it go alittle quicker wouldnt be to bad.

Anyone with a Simple idea about this volt step up let me know. :)

Faster
11-12-04, 09:44 PM
At first I was under the Impression that 75c or so wasnt to bad for my BFG. But as it has turned out I have worked out that Artifacts (with the 1.3v) and Hardlocks or Full scrambled Colored Screens (With 1.4v) are a direct result of my 6800GT being to Hot.

Just in case anyone wanted to know.

noko
11-12-04, 10:30 PM
I usually never go over 60c even at full load with my 1.4v GT at 400/1100 due to the fact that my case is A/C cooled with the cold air blowing straight onto my video card. So for me it was a very big improvement.

Jethro
11-14-04, 12:29 PM
Ive tried the 1.4v mod on my BFG with some success. I do get the garbled lockup's and its got nothing to do with the GPU temp. It is in fact the Power circuitry that cant handle the 1.4v load. adding heatsinks to exposed mosfets helped alot but still did not fix 100% I havent isolated the exact culprit but i think it may be the small mosfets that come heatsinked already. Next step is to improve the cooling over stock for them.

NOko: i used to have an iwill xp333 and it was a kewl board dood!

Faster
11-14-04, 01:13 PM
Jethro make sure you let me know if you solve this little issue. :)

Jethro
11-14-04, 01:17 PM
when i get my new mobo and have to take my cooling apart ill put some cooling to it man. I have a good feeling about it anyhow. Stay tuned! (mag)

Slammin
11-14-04, 08:34 PM
I had mixed results when I first went to 1.4v and decided it was not worth it in my situation. I have a 3.0 Prescott @ 3.6 and the amout of heat it adds to my case makes it almost impossible to get any kind of stability out of my vid card when oc'd.

Solution:

I cut a hole in my Antec P-160 above the cpu and mounted a 120mm stealth fan. I now can use 1.4v @ 435/1.05 for regular use, and 440/1.2 for 3DMark 05, though IL-2 PF will only last about 10 minutes at that oc.

Even though my temps only peaked at 80c before I added the fan, and actually, they still peak at about 78c, without the fan I would get the paisley lockups. This leads me to think, actually I'm quite certain that is is the ram that can't take the heat and causes the paisley lockups.

Today I bought a bag of those BFG ram sinks from CompUSA and next weekend I'm going to clip off the copper tabs on my NV5 that cover the ram and use seperate heatsinks instead. What I'm hoping for as a result is that the GPU will not contribute to the heat on the ram and vice-versa.

Someone else here did that and had good results, but I surely wouldn't have considered it without some good case cooling, which I now have.

edit: I should add that the max temp I use is derived from running Prime95 together with rthdribl. My max temp with rthdribl alone is about 67c.

Faster
11-15-04, 04:19 AM
I had mixed results when I first went to 1.4v and decided it was not worth it in my situation. I have a 3.0 Prescott @ 3.6 and the amout of heat it adds to my case makes it almost impossible to get any kind of stability out of my vid card when oc'd.

Solution:

I cut a hole in my Antec P-160 above the cpu and mounted a 120mm stealth fan. I now can use 1.4v @ 435/1.05 for regular use, and 440/1.2 for 3DMark 05, though IL-2 PF will only last about 10 minutes at that oc.

Even though my temps only peaked at 80c before I added the fan, and actually, they still peak at about 78c, without the fan I would get the paisley lockups. This leads me to think, actually I'm quite certain that is is the ram that can't take the heat and causes the paisley lockups.

Today I bought a bag of those BFG ram sinks from CompUSA and next weekend I'm going to clip off the copper tabs on my NV5 that cover the ram and use seperate heatsinks instead. What I'm hoping for as a result is that the GPU will not contribute to the heat on the ram and vice-versa.

Someone else here did that and had good results, but I surely wouldn't have considered it without some good case cooling, which I now have.

edit: I should add that the max temp I use is derived from running Prime95 together with rthdribl. My max temp with rthdribl alone is about 67c.

Ok, You too diffinately have to come back and post here about how the Ram sinks turn out. I really wanted more from my NV5 but like your my Prescott really does heat the case.

Slammin
11-15-04, 11:39 PM
Well, I did it! I cut off 3 of the copper tabs but left the top one because it would have been a real PITA and I'm not that good with my dremel yet. Also, I knew there was a gap between my gpu and the copper, but I never realized it was as big as I noticed tonight. I shaved the top ramsink that I left on down quite a bit, applied a very thin layer of as5 to the ram and gpu and did a test fit and everything was now making full contact. I also lightly lapped the gpu and ram pads a little, no mirror finish, but very smooth and shiny. I dunno why AC doesn't do a better job on the finish of the nv5 because it does not take any time to improve that at least.

Result:

Running atitool and rthdribl and prime95 for 30 minutes @440/1.1/1.4v

ambient temp = 50c
gpu temp = 72

I haven't run anything else yet but if I run into any weirdness, I'll post here, but so far I am extremely pleased with the result.

Slammin
11-16-04, 01:08 AM
General Information
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
DirectX Version 9.0c

Mobo Manufacturer http://www.abit.com.tw/
Mobo Model IC7-MAX3(Intel i875P-ICH5)

AGP Rates (Current/Available) 8x / 4x, 8x

CPU Intel Pentium 4 3608 MHz

FSB 240 MHz

Memory 1024 MB

Display Information
Graphics Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT
Driver Name NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT
Driver Version 6.6.9.3
Driver Status WHQL - Not FM Approved
Video Memory 256 MB

Core Clock 445 MHz
Memory Clock 1174 MHz

Benchmark Settings
Program Version 3DMark05 Revision 1 Build 0

Resolution 1024x768@32 bit

Anti-Aliasing None
Texture Filtering Optimal
Vertex Shader Profile 3_0
Pixel Shader Profile 3_0
Force Full Precision Off
Disable DST Off

Disable Post-processing Off
Force Software Vertex Shaders Off
Color Mipmaps Off
Repeat Count Off

Main Test Results
3DMark Score 5645 3DMarks
CPU Score 4991 CPUMarks

Detailed Test Results

Game Tests
GT1 - Return To Proxycon 23.9 fps
GT2 - Firefly Forest 16.5 fps
GT3 - Canyon Flight 29.2 fps

CPU Tests
CPU Test 1 2.8 fps
CPU Test 2 4.0 fps

Coolbits won't let me do 445@1.2 but I'm going to be experimenting with different gpu and ram timings over the next few days to find the sweet spot.

mongoose
11-16-04, 02:40 AM
Your BIOS works wonders.

Stock BIOS: Auto Detect 415/1090
Modded to 1.4V on 3D: Auto Detect 407/1050 (eh?)

Yours: Auto Detect 435/1160

Your mod was the only BIOS that allowed me to complete 3DMark2001 =>400 on the GPU without periodic freezes. Scored 25,200 to finally break the 25k barrier.

Thanks.

hypertek
11-17-04, 05:32 PM
im confused.. what bios did u use mongoose?

puraido
11-18-04, 07:29 PM
I gave it a shot.

stock cooler, don't fail me now!!!

@1.3v @400/1100 53degC idle/76 load ambient: 37/50
@1.4v @440/1110 53/80 gpu| 37/56 ambient

maybe it's just my imagination, but games seem to move smoother.

Coolbits Optimum Speeds:
@1.3v 399/1050
@1.4v 440/1080

I'll stick to 400/1100 for now...

worth it?? who knows?

mongoose
11-19-04, 05:39 AM
I used Noko's BIOS. Do a forum search and you should find it or I can send it.