PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive in one channel or separate, which one is better?

VoltFox
11-12-04, 07:09 AM
Hi guys,

I'm a reader of nvnews of a couple of years now, and I got some doubts about putting my hard drives in one channel or separate?

I read this article saying that it's better on separate channel
http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=143&var2=0

Before, I thought it wouldn't make any difference in term of performance but now I'm in doubt... What do you guys think, any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks

|JuiceZ|
11-12-04, 10:07 AM
Maybe I'm having just a brain fart this morning, only had 3hrs of sleep but, what do you mean by setting hdd channels? Are you talking about sharing IDE cables w/ other devices, RAID, 'er what?

jAkUp
11-12-04, 10:16 AM
I think hes talking about putting 2 HD's on seprate IDE channel's.

To answer your question, it really doesn't make much difference nowadays, but I would still never put 2 HD's on the same IDE channel. I'm really picky about that kinda stuff ;)

VoltFox
11-12-04, 04:12 PM
Maybe I'm having just a brain fart this morning, only had 3hrs of sleep but, what do you mean by setting hdd channels? Are you talking about sharing IDE cables w/ other devices, RAID, 'er what?

jakup is right, It's about putting the hard drives either in one cable or separate...

Did anyone ever test it? I did some research yesterday, and some articles said that it will be good to put it in separate cable, it will benefit when the system accessing both hard drives at the same time, it will be faster. But the article also said that it is a bad idea to put the hard drive in the same cable with ATAPI devices, such as CD-ROM, CDRW, etc.

Those kind of informations have really opened my eye, I never know that it would make any differences. If you guys interested, take a look at this article http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confRecommendations-c.html

retsam
11-12-04, 04:46 PM
ide doesnt have bidirectional communcation (scsi does)so when there is two drives on one channel only one drive talks at a time.

retsam
11-12-04, 04:49 PM
for what ever reason i missed what voltfox said ...hes right on the money

-=DVS=-
11-14-04, 07:21 PM
If you have 1 HDD and 1 CD/DVD/R/RW , you can put them on separate IDE cables and both be masters, will be better.

VoltFox
11-14-04, 10:40 PM
I have 2 hard drives, 1 CD-RW and 1 DVD-RW... I'm planning to buy a ATA133 PCI controller, is that a good idea?

FastM
11-15-04, 01:15 AM
I have 2 hard drives, 1 CD-RW and 1 DVD-RW... I'm planning to buy a ATA133 PCI controller, is that a good idea?

Thats really not at all necessary, just have the hd's share one cable and the cd drive's share ide2. Dont go with with an extra controller unless you want more than 2 hd's or plan on going raid.

boro
11-16-04, 04:48 AM
-If you have just 2 devices, put them on different channels.
-Put your cd-rom drives on the same channel
-Don't put cd-rom drives on the same channel as HDD's if possible
-don't put HDD's on the same channel if you're using RAID

Akirhol
11-20-04, 07:56 PM
Something I didn't see mentioned was why not to put HDDs and ATAPIs on the same channel... if I'm not mistaken, having the ATAPI drive on the same channel will force the HDD to transfer data across the IDE interface at ATA33, since that is what all ATAPI drives operate at [IDE channel speed defaults to the slowest device on the channel].

Having both of the HDDs on one channel won't affect performance noticably unless you plan on running 2 different HD intensive applications, one off each drive, at the same time... or you transfer huge amounts of data between them regularly. Since, chances are, you do neither of these, you should be fine putting them both on one channel.

Kojiro
11-23-04, 01:34 PM
I have not heard that one before. I am A+ certified. Nothing was ever mentioned about that. I mean, when I was going to college a while back, my instructors who have been PC service Techs before would definately known about that IDE runs at the seed of the slowest device. There is not even one question on the A+ Cert exam that has that( this would have been on there definately). Hell, you would not find that on any PC repair books. ( maybe, on uber geek fourums where they like to analyse certain technologies.)

The only thing is, that you may got confused with is the Hard drive being the slowest device in a PC. Therefore if you do not have enough ram, the computer would be slowed down by constant page faults (often called Disk Thrashing). Solution: Add more ram ( a question on A+ Cert exam.).

As for mixing CDRWs and Harddrives, if that was so bad. Why do Hard Drive manufactures inclued it in the installation instructions? Because it does not make a difference thats all. (check your BIOS after installing a CDRW and a HDD on the same IDE cable. If the HDD is ATA 100, it will be ATA 100 not ATA 33.)

Besides ATA 100 is just burst seed. That means the actual overall hard drive data bandwidth is much slower.

ricercar
11-23-04, 04:10 PM
Separate ATA133 cables for optical and hard drives is INVARIABLY faster in real world experience. My raw hard drive read/write speed drops whenever I connect an ATA hard drive to an ATA133 cable with an optical drive.

The copy/move speed difference is noticable and dramatic when I'm moving large audio files (40-80 mb). Since it happens under both Windows XP and MacOSX with every HD/CDRW/DVD I've tested, I can safely assume it's a hardware ATA/IDE issue.

Rakeesh
11-23-04, 06:02 PM
Well, the main reason you are supposed to separate IDE devices onto separate channels is because as a rule, both drives on the same parallel connection are supposed to be running at the same speed. Thus the faster hard drive can only perform as well as the slowest one.