PDA

View Full Version : Another f'ed up system...

Ninjaman09
11-12-04, 10:18 AM
Well, ASUS released a new BIOS version (1008) for my motherboard so I went ahead and flashed it. I tried O/Cing after that to see what would happen, and before Windows could boot I got a message saying that one of my system files was missing or corrupt, and to run the Recovery Console. I did that, ran CHKDSK, and it said there was an error. I ran it again with the /f option. After over half an hour, it was about 75% when it dropped to 50% and stopped. I reset my computer and Windows booted up just fine, and I ran CHKDSK again.

It reported an error and scheduled a check for the next startup. I let it run the check, it finished with no errors and restarted, and then right after the welcome screen, Windows blue screened with a 0x0000008E stop error. YAY! Upon multiple restarts, and everything at stock settings, it still blue screens at every startup, schedules a disk check, and blue screens again. I'm so fortunate that I have the opportunity to format and reinstall everything AGAIN.

Riptide
11-12-04, 10:47 AM
This happened right after flashing the BIOS? That's odd. Sounds like corruption that would result from overclocking to far and/or having a bad lock.

|JuiceZ|
11-12-04, 11:03 AM
Sounds like you've either got bad ram or it's overclocked too far. Did this happen before you upgraded and/or starting o'cing?

jAkUp
11-12-04, 11:17 AM
This kinda think has happened to me when I push my system too far.

Ninjaman09
11-12-04, 11:54 AM
Well, apparently it had to do with the BIOS flash. I reset my CMOS and everything's fine now. :wtf:

I've talked with the OCZ tech support guys on their forum (VERY helpful) and come to the conclusion that my mobo is what's holding back my OC. Apparently almost every good overclock people are getting on Socket 939 A64s are on nForce 3 Ultra chipset (MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, specifically). And Abit boards, as well. Oh well, I'm not spending even more money to get an extra 2-3 fps in my games. I'm just happy my system is running OK now (at 2-2-2-5-1T, no less :D)

Apparently, it wouldn't be worth it even if my board could sustain the O/C. Sandra reported 80% efficiency when I got it to run a bandwidth test at 2.5-3-3-7 1T. The bandwidth was like 6800 or so. Compared to the 5900 I get at stock, that's not really worth it. So I'm sticking with what I've got now, it rules :D

Riptide
11-12-04, 12:15 PM
Lately I've been hearing some of the same things about the A8V. I almost regret recommending it so highly but a lot of people with the revision1 board and 3700EB were able to clock pretty high. Seems as if the 2.0 doesn't do quite as well with higher HTT/FSB speeds. The 1.0 revision A8V, if you found one with working locks (needed a hacked BIOS), was a better overclocker. It's still a good stable board ofcourse and I'm glad you're happy with it. Motherboards are relatively cheap so if you ever get the urge to try and push harder you might ask for a Neo2 for your birthday or something. Just an idea. :)

BTW, @ 250 1:1 I get about 6850MB/sec. bandwidth in Sandra so your numbers there are comparable.

{Sniping}Waste
11-12-04, 12:20 PM
Well, apparently it had to do with the BIOS flash. I reset my CMOS and everything's fine now. :wtf:

I've talked with the OCZ tech support guys on their forum (VERY helpful) and come to the conclusion that my mobo is what's holding back my OC. Apparently almost every good overclock people are getting on Socket 939 A64s are on nForce 3 Ultra chipset (MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, specifically). And Abit boards, as well. Oh well, I'm not spending even more money to get an extra 2-3 fps in my games. I'm just happy my system is running OK now (at 2-2-2-5-1T, no less :D)

Apparently, it wouldn't be worth it even if my board could sustain the O/C. Sandra reported 80% efficiency when I got it to run a bandwidth test at 2.5-3-3-7 1T. The bandwidth was like 6800 or so. Compared to the 5900 I get at stock, that's not really worth it. So I'm sticking with what I've got now, it rules :D

Always reset the CMOS after a BIOS flash is the golden rule. With out a CMOS reset, the new BIOS is using the old BIOS settings.

GlowStick
11-12-04, 01:23 PM
Hm, I definatly woudlnt use this as a time to get a new mobo, it seems that honestly both the VIA and Nforce3 boards all have one problem with them or another, after reading the forums it seems everyone is unhappy with both of them. Thats why im gonna hold out for Nforce4 and hope they fix everything : \

Ninjaman09
11-12-04, 01:25 PM
Yeah, Glowstick, I've done a bunch more reading so far today and found the same kinds of complaints for both platforms. Heh heh, I'm not even gonna worry about it anymore. My computer works just fine the way it is and that's all that matters :D

{Sniping}Waste
11-12-04, 02:07 PM
The ATI RS480 will be out soon so looks like more choise and maybe lower prices from the compitition. From the reviews of the RS480, the chipset will overclock very well and hope the retail will be the same.

Riptide
11-12-04, 03:47 PM
I just hope they manage to get it (480) available @ retail as indicated instead of a full quarter or more down the road.