PDA

View Full Version : Memory! Please read

gate1975mlm
11-12-04, 02:12 PM
I need your guys honest opinion please. I am just about ready to build my brand new dream PC system Which will have one of the new Nforce4 boards and AMD Athlon 3500+. The only thing I am still not sure about is the memory. I was really planning on using 2GB of memory. But I now realize running for sticks is not a good idea because I would have to run at 333FSB or 2T. And I really don't want to do that. And my other option is to use 2 1GB sticks which then I could run at 400FSB and 1T. But with 1GB sticks the Cas Latency is alot higher. So there are 2 things I really would like to know. 1 would running at Cas Latency: 3-3-3-8 suck? I mean would Doom 3 play like crap because of usng memory that runs at Cas Latency: 3-3-3-8? And the last thing and most important would running 2GB of memory be a waste if I only use the pc for playing games, Surfing the net, Burning DVD's and Playing music? I don't have tons of money but I do want a powerful pc that will run great for the next few years at least!

If I end up going for just 1GB I was going to buy the OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Dual Channel Platinum Rev 2! And if going with 2GB then this is what I may go with http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-491&depa=0

So I really hope to hear from all you Memory experts.

Thanks for your time

Riptide
11-12-04, 02:48 PM
I would go with the gig because I'm a performance phreak. :D

But, you probaby won't notice a difference between lax timings or 2T command rate in most applications.

Ninjaman09
11-12-04, 03:04 PM
Heh heh, actually the 2T is pretty noticable, believe it or not. So much so, in fact, that DDR500 @ 2T is slower than DDR400 @ 1T. There's no reason to have 2 GB of RAM, I'd go with the Dual Channel kit from OCZ that you're thinking of getting, it's some of the best you can buy. You can overclock the hell out of it too if you dont get an Asus board :D

CaptNKILL
11-12-04, 07:36 PM
I saw someone talking about 2T vs. 1T in another thread recently and I went into my BIOS to make sure 1T was selected. I dont have the option! I remember changing it on some of my previous motherboards, but I totaly forgot that my NF7-S 2.0 doesnt have it.

Am I just missing it, or is it really not there?

Cota
11-12-04, 07:40 PM
I saw someone talking about 2T vs. 1T in another thread recently and I went into my BIOS to make sure 1T was selected. I dont have the option! I remember changing it on some of my previous motherboards, but I totaly forgot that my NF7-S 2.0 doesnt have it.

Am I just missing it, or is it really not there?

Its not there.

There are hacked bios that let you change command rate to 1T try www.overclockers.com forum is you wan't more info.