PDA

View Full Version : BFG single fan design being reproduced?

Pages : [1] 2

fuzzbutt99
11-13-04, 01:24 PM
I went to Best Buy yesterday and noticed that they had the "old style" BFG 6800gt single fan design in stock. I had tested out the dual fan design a couple of months ago and had temps of 94C after running rthdribl for 20 minutes. With the single fan design I'm running at 75C after 30 minutes :)

This is wierd because I thought the old reference design wasn't produced anymore. This is the first time I noticed them there and I usually go every 2 weeks. I wonder if BFG is starting to reproduce the single fan cooler design again since the dual fan design is known to run hotter??

subbo
11-13-04, 05:03 PM
a contraire (or something), nvidia has apparently ordered these craptastic 3rd party manufacturers to use the reference design or quit. In the BFG case like you stated, its the only thing that can scare these idiots into producing quality instead of fancy looks.

And when I say craptastic, I mean small-time brands like xfx, bfg, msi, gainward, inno3d, leadtek (did I forget anyone?) etc. as it seems the likes of Asus can still use their single slot ultra hsf and custom gt coolers. Though it will take time for online shops to update their images and the reference cards actually ship.

The sad thing is MSI had to toss their beloved silent copper hsf on the GT and use the nvidia ref design which is far inferior. Win some lose some.

xrotanimret
11-13-04, 05:28 PM
nvidia has apparently ordered these craptastic 3rd party manufacturers
Sounds good to me. Will RMA my BFG 6800 GT OC with the blue PCB for one of reference design.

xrotanimret
11-13-04, 10:15 PM
I doubt they'll let you RMA it just because you want the reference cooler. The card works fine with BFG's cooler (I've got a BFG 6800 GT that came with the dual fan cooler). If you just want a new cooler, you'd be better off ordering an NV5 Silencer.
I had an NV Silencer 5 but it was a piece of ****. Still waiting for a replacement. The cooler is one thing, but I'm mainly going to RMA because the card doesn't meet my expectations in terms of overclockability and stability.

Oh, and if I hadn't had to reapply thermal grease when the NV Silencer broke, I'm pretty sure it would've cooked itself with the stock cooling. Typical **** job on the grease.. there was almost no contact on ANYTHING. I wasn't impressed at all.

55illinois
11-13-04, 11:43 PM
I had an NV Silencer 5 but it was a piece of ****. Still waiting for a replacement. The cooler is one thing, but I'm mainly going to RMA because the card doesn't meet my expectations in terms of overclockability and stability.

It's one thing to RMA the card if it is unstable out of the box. It drives me crazy when people RMA things because they're note overclockable enough though, or because they broke them doing things like increasing voltage, or anything like that. The card is designed to run at the speeds it comes at. If it runs faster than that for you, it's a bonus, but if it doesn't, you're still getting what you paid for. This does nothing but increase the expenses of the company, which in the long term raises costs for everyone.

saturnotaku
11-13-04, 11:46 PM
It's one thing to RMA the card if it is unstable out of the box. It drives me crazy when people RMA things because they're note overclockable enough though, or because they broke them doing things like increasing voltage, or anything like that. The card is designed to run at the speeds it comes at. If it runs faster than that for you, it's a bonus, but if it doesn't, you're still getting what you paid for. This does nothing but increase the expenses of the company, which in the long term raises costs for everyone.

:werd:

circuitbreaker8
11-13-04, 11:52 PM
I have the dual fan one...but i tore it up, put some AS5, took off the chrome housing, and slapped a 80mm fan :D

scott123
11-14-04, 12:44 AM
In every review I've read the duel fan BFG runs pretty hot, and on top of that it has clearance problems with some motherboards. A lot of folks diss the reference cooler, but the reality is Nvidia did their homework, and to date, no one has been able to produce a cooler (air cooled) that exceeds it's performance.

vhx1
11-14-04, 01:07 AM
So does anyone have any idea at whut temps the regular BFG 6800 OC with the reference fan runs?

xrotanimret
11-14-04, 02:19 AM
Overclockability was one thing, but perhaps you didn't notice where I mentioned "stability."

I sure am lame for wanting to RMA a card which occasionally checkerboards at stock speeds. Yep. It's very occasional and seemingly went away for the most part when I redid the thermal grease myself, but I shouldn't have to do that to have a stable card.

I would never RMA hardware I broke myself. Never. Just the other day I recall commenting that someone here who mentioned that they were going to RMA a card they ****ed up by voltmodding was a "kiddy prick," so watch the judement you pass.

xrotanimret
11-14-04, 04:27 AM
Yeah, but when you say it doesn't meet your expectations as far as overclockability goes, you admit to overclocking, which voids the warranty.
Perhaps overclocking damaged it to where it checkerboards at stock speeds?

I'm not saying that's your case of course, if you say it checkerboarded out of the box, then by all means RMA it.
Technically I'm sure reseating the heatsink with my own thermal grease application to fix what they screwed up voided the warranty too. On the overclocking point.. it would be naive to believe +30 MHz on the core would damage the hardware. I certainly don't believe it did, as the overclocking didn't occur until after I'd already reapplied the grease, which didn't happen until I'd already crashed with a checkerboard. I wanted to see if reapplying the grease gave the card more headroom, as I'm under the premise that if it has more headroom it'll likely be stable at the stock speeds. While I did gain a bit of headroom, it wasn't much and the card still screws up sometimes(at stock speeds, as mentioned).

I guess I plan to clean all my precious, wasted AS5 off of the card and heatsink (****, that must've been.. what.. a good 16+ CPUs worth? 8 RAM chips, GPU 4x the size of a CPU core.. and of course you have to lay it on thick.. god, that sucks) and apply some generic white crap compound to give it that factory look again before I send it off. ;)

If anyone really thinks I'm some sort of evil bastard whom RMAs hardware he damaged himself, I guess you're entitled to your opinion.

INGlewood78
11-14-04, 04:36 AM
I have the dual fan one...but i tore it up, put some AS5, took off the chrome housing, and slapped a 80mm fan :D

U got a pic of that?

StoNer
11-14-04, 11:09 AM
When i RMAd to BFG a few weeks ago i sent in the 2xfan and got a reference back.

2x fan temps were 67c idle 80c+ load

reference temps are 54c idle 70+ load

this is at stock speeds btw

kahloq
11-14-04, 11:24 AM
I have the dual fan design BFG 6800 GT and it works just fine and temps are at 57-59c idle. I have not modded it at all. Odd how some ppl get much higher temps. Anyhow, I will admit of course that before placing a vantec dual fan pci card under the gt, the temp was at 63c. But still, the dual fan design isnt as good as the reference sure, but not anywhere near a poor design either.

fuzzbutt99
11-14-04, 12:01 PM
When i RMAd to BFG a few weeks ago i sent in the 2xfan and got a reference back.

2x fan temps were 67c idle 80c+ load

reference temps are 54c idle 70+ load

this is at stock speeds btw

This is my 2nd BFG 6800gt. The first one (dual fan) just ran too hot (56C idle 85C load). I live in the South so temps get up there. I had problems with artifacts after load periods of gaming - 3 hours. I thought about just slapping on a NV5 which probably would have taken care of the problem, but I was a little hesitant to void the warranty.

When I saw the 1 fan design though, I just had to try it out. My friend has the PNY 6800gt and the BFG single fan looks just like it. Temps match too as I get around 43-48C idle and 74C load, which is around what he has. This card rocks!! :nanahump:

I don't know what BFG was thinking about when they introduced the two fan desigin. I guess they were trying to differentiate themselves from the other guys with a chrome colored heatsink and blue led's. It sure was purrty but it wasn't very effecient. I wouldn't recommend the two fan design, but the one fan one I would. I'm just interested if BFG is really starting to reintroduce the one fan design back or if the one I got was just a fluke.

fuzzbutt99
11-14-04, 12:09 PM
Here's what it looks like:

http://cameranotebook.com/images/IMG_0232small.JPG

Kojiro
11-14-04, 12:25 PM

Finaly someone who actualy realizes that. The other people are just plain stupid. :rolleyes:

I can see nothing but headaches for people incharge of the RMA department. I feel for you dudes. :)

Maybe all these dumb uber geeks should RMA their brains.

55illinois
11-14-04, 12:39 PM
Overclockability was one thing, but perhaps you didn't notice where I mentioned "stability."

I sure am lame for wanting to RMA a card which occasionally checkerboards at stock speeds. Yep. It's very occasional and seemingly went away for the most part when I redid the thermal grease myself, but I shouldn't have to do that to have a stable card.

I would never RMA hardware I broke myself. Never. Just the other day I recall commenting that someone here who mentioned that they were going to RMA a card they ****ed up by voltmodding was a "kiddy prick," so watch the judement you pass.

Allow me to quote myself:
It's one thing to RMA the card if it is unstable out of the box.
So if this is the case, by all means RMA it. You have the right to.

hypertek
11-16-04, 04:13 AM
does this new one have a different bios?

joedeman
11-16-04, 03:59 PM
interesting, I have a BFG6800GT with dual fans and I get 53C idle and 74C load. NOthing else special going on in my rig, just the fans.

fuzzbutt99
11-17-04, 12:23 AM
does this new one have a different bios?

Bios is 5.40.02.15.01
Is this any different from the others?

xrotanimret
11-17-04, 06:10 AM
Bios is 5.40.02.15.01
Is this any different from the others?
It's older. The dual fan ones come with 5.40.02.15.05.

Tr1cK
11-17-04, 07:50 AM
My dual-fan idles aroun 63c and maxes out around 73c @ 410/1100.As long as I don't go above that, it's stable as I've ever seen a card be. I put AS5 on the HSF and it did drop the temps by about 2 degrees on avgerage.

ppeccin
11-17-04, 08:26 AM
I'm thinking of changing my stock HSF to an NV5.
Will it REALLY void the warranty? Why?

If I have any problem, can't I simply remove the NV5 and put the original HSF again??? How could they tell the difference?

Thanks.

JRd1st
11-17-04, 08:34 AM
Just check any screws you may have to remove for Loctite or a spec of paint. Don't burr the screws, either.

Don't think they can tell if you do a good and neat job of it.

The NV5, however efective, is reportedly a poor quality product. The heatsink is difficult to secure nice and flat against the GPU. Also, if you have a double-wide slot cover on your card, as some do, it will have to be cut.