PDA

View Full Version : Silencing the NV5 Silencer

darthhen
11-13-04, 11:51 PM
Hi,

I just installed the NV5 Silencer on my 6800GT. I have to agree with other people on this forum that this hunk of metal does not fit well out of the box. I had to use the Dremel to sand off the RAM heat sink portion of the NV5 Silencer.

So here's my next problem, how to make the fan on the NV5 Silencer more silent. I connected the power connector of the fan on the Silencer to my motherboard, which is supplying it 12V. Has anybody tried to run this fan at 5V or anything less than 12V???

-darthhen

Faster
11-14-04, 12:57 AM
lol, My NV5 Fit perfectly for my BFG 6800GT.

And I why dont you just plug it into your Graphics Card itself, that way it will undervolt the fan so it spins slower when the temp is low. I however did not want this and pluged my NV5 into my MB so that I get the FAN running FLAT out at all times. :)

Faster
11-14-04, 12:58 AM
Oh and you can get something from the Gainward site that can control the fan speed if the NV5 is pluged into the Graphics Card....

Sposeably.

einstein_314
11-14-04, 01:53 AM
hmmm, mine fit great. And I plugged it into the card itself and it runs quietly. Only problem I had was my back bracket on my 6800 ultra needed to be cut down the middle so the exhaust could exhaust. All around I love my silencer.

Ironmanstl
11-14-04, 07:47 PM
I can't even hear my nv5 when my case fans are all on low speed...

I plugged my nv5 into my psu so I have full speed all the time,
and when I can push the gpu to its 1 molex connector limit, I don't want any power being diverted to the fan that the gpu could use,
wether this helps me or not I don't know, but it definately can't hurt

Iron

Lindy
11-14-04, 07:57 PM
Mine fit my PNY GT perfect. My two 120mm case fans never get above 900rpm's and my Zalman runs at high speed 2400rpm's......and I still cant hear my NV5.

wshadow
11-14-04, 11:54 PM
My NV5 fit perfectly and is VERY quiet, you must have got a defective one...

Slammin
11-15-04, 08:28 AM
I think I'd be more concerned about burning my fan out if running it from the motherboard, especially since it got so loud.

TeaEtchSee
11-15-04, 09:10 AM
im glad im blessed with a NV5 that never gave me problems... :)

i dont know bout that fan bein loud...its pretty quite on my system

darthhen
11-15-04, 09:43 AM
Yeah, the Silencer I got was weak. When I cleaned off all the stuff that was on the RAM and the GPU, I placed the Silencer on the card and saw this gap between the Silencer and the GPU. I was looking at it at eye level. I saw all the RAMs touching the Silencer. But the GPU had a big gap. I tried hand sanding it for 5 minutes but I said no way. I'll be here forever. So I got the Dremel out.

I'm going to use my Fanmate 1 to lower the voltage instead. I'll try to run it around 7V to see what kind of temperature I get.

My system was running quiet enough for all the stuff I do on the computer before. But now I use it as a Media Center, I want to make it totally quiet.

Thanks for your guys' input.

rellingsen
11-15-04, 11:04 AM
Glad to see you got it working well. I know what you went through, mine was the same way. I literally had to take half the thickness of the RAM pads off before the HS base even touched the GPU core. Their quality control sucks. Some work great out of the box others are complete crap.