PDA

View Full Version : Experts explain these temps to me, this can't be...

Starbreaker
11-14-04, 10:26 AM
I am no authority on this so I need some opinions. I have a NZXT guardian case with 5 case fans and have slightly oc'ed my 3.4E to 3.6. My temps according to the "Superstep" windows program and my bios, are around 52-54 C idle and under load the highest I have seen is 64 C after about 2 hours of Doom. Case temp around 23C - 25C.From what I have read around the forums, these temps seem a little high right? Well When I dont oc the cpu, the readings are the same so this tells me the oc'ing isnt really raising the temps of my cpu so this must be what the Prescott naturally runs out on my pc, and the case only came with 2 fans. Now the kicker, this morning I turned on my pc and checked my cpu temp immediately, this after the thing was off all night sitting in a 67F room, the cpu temp reads 51C or 123F!!! My case temp read a more realistic 20C or 68F. How can a cpu be 123F just sitting there in my case??? Makes me wonder about these temps being very accurate. Please explain this if possible.

What I am really getting at is with the temps being the same so far whether I overclock or not do you think I should try to overlclock a little bit more keeping in mind I dont want to have to mess with changing voltages and such. (though the Superstep progam does allow me to tinker with that stuff).

Ninjaman09
11-14-04, 10:56 AM
You really need to post your system specs for us to be able to help you. Are you using the stock Intel heatsink/fan, or is it an after market cooler? I'm assuming you have the socket 478 P4, right? Sorry, I just don't have enough information to help you out right now.

With temps like that you should definitely hold off on overclocking for now, even if it doesn't make a difference. I had a 3.2 Prescott a little while ago with a ThermalTake Polo 735 HSF and it idled around 36C, load about 49C or so. My work computer is a 2.8 Prescott and it's using the stock Intel HSF, it idles about 38C or so. I'm sure those temperatures are accurate, but if you didn't install the CPU HSF properly that could account for it. Case fans are of course good to have but if you don't manage your cables properly they can't really help.

There are really too many x-factors here. Please provide more information.

Starbreaker
11-14-04, 03:06 PM
My specs.
NZXT guardian case http://www.nzxt.com/Guardian.php
420 PSU
P4- Socket 478 3.4E with stock HSF
1024 mb Pc3200 ram
BFG 6800GT OC 391/1000

The temps "seem" high but like I said above, the cpu temperature is the same when its not overclocked, that tells me that the Prescott naturally runs this hot.
This computer was bought as a complete unit from "I buy power", I have not modified anything except mounting more 80mm fans since it only came with 2.

Ninjaman09
11-14-04, 05:25 PM
Heh heh, that's a pretty cool case.

I don't know man, it could be that the 3.4E is just a really hot processor. The HSF was probably installed with the stock thermal compound, which can ironically have an insulating effect. If that was the case, then your temps are normal. I've certainly read reviews that have indicated 50-60C temps are not unusual for Prescotts. If it bugs you, try an after-market cooler.

kahloq
11-15-04, 01:38 AM
Just wanted to post a comparison temp.

I have a 3.4c (northwood) that I put in my system. I used AS5 on it and a non stock heatsink(swifteck) and a coolermaster dual storm cpu/case fan. CPU temps are generally reasing at 34c idle and no more then 38c under game load.
yes i know the prescotts run hotter, but for the person that started the thread, you might want to look inot using a non stock heatsink and non stock fan and use AS5. it will really lower your temps. Before I put the 3.4 in this pc, I had a 3.2 with stock HSF and idel temps were usually around 45c

-=DVS=-
11-15-04, 01:49 AM
Prescotts do run hotter , however your heatsink might be installed incorrectly , or screwd to tight , i would remove it and reattach with more care.

From my own experiance putting to much thermal grease or putting heatsink very tight to CPU Core will cose heat , had such problem with Athlon Xp , temps were ~15C higher then they should be , readjusting heatsink fixed it.

Or you just overclocked to much and Stock cooler can't handle it :p

Rytr
11-15-04, 05:14 AM
3.4E Prescott (not o/c) running stock HSF, cpu temps are 49C, case temp of 30C running Folding@Home 24/7.

Ninjaman09
11-15-04, 06:57 AM
He did mention the system was pre-built - I'll bet anything they installed the HSF with that thermal "putty" that it comes with. That stuff is awful, it could definitely mess up temperatures. I'd get a decent after market cooler and use Arctic Silver 5.

Starbreaker
11-15-04, 07:48 AM
Is it very hard to replace the heatsink and fan. How easy does the heatsink come off the cpu? I have never doen this before and would be scared I would screw the damn chip up. Tell me its really a piece of cake and I'll try it.

saturnotaku
11-15-04, 08:36 AM
Intel's system is nice compared to the Athlon XP. If you have the stock heatsink, all you should have to do is lift up two levers and pull the whole assembly straight off the mounting bracket/CPU.

bkswaney
11-15-04, 02:34 PM
If it's a E cpu that temp is ok.
Mine idles 54 to 55 even on water.