PDA

View Full Version : major wierdness

bknblk
11-15-04, 12:22 AM
My WD2000JB decides to throw this strange error today. All said and done, it now thinks it's an 8GB drive, but the bios(on two systems) display it as a WD1200BB. Now with all that said, neither install of windows(both XP) will even see the drive in My Comp, but it shows up in the device mangler. Next we d/l the diagnostic tools from WD and run them. This gets us a check cable error and tells me that the capacity is actually 0.0 MB. I am driven to distarction because it contains my 40GB of MP3s and some other assorted and sundry items that I really would not like to lose. I am going to advance RMA the drive and use the logic card from the new drive on the off chance that it is an electro rather than electro-mechanical or mechanical failure. Arrrgh. </rant>

Bill The Cat
11-15-04, 09:51 AM
My WD2000JB decides to throw this strange error today. All said and done, it now thinks it's an 8GB drive, but the bios(on two systems) display it as a WD1200BB. Now with all that said, neither install of windows(both XP) will even see the drive in My Comp, but it shows up in the device mangler. Next we d/l the diagnostic tools from WD and run them. This gets us a check cable error and tells me that the capacity is actually 0.0 MB. I am driven to distarction because it contains my 40GB of MP3s and some other assorted and sundry items that I really would not like to lose. I am going to advance RMA the drive and use the logic card from the new drive on the off chance that it is an electro rather than electro-mechanical or mechanical failure. Arrrgh. </rant>

That's a risky proposition. There's little chance of sucess in replacing the card, unless it was exactly the same model, and perhaps even down to the bach. Storagereview had some good advice on why not to try to replace it last I checked (But if there's no other option, why not).