PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 Review Up At Ign

pinsnpies
11-15-04, 02:08 PM
half life 2 review up at http://pc.ign.com/articles/566/566202p1.html
i think gamespots review are a bit better though. that should be up soon too

Gaco
11-15-04, 02:20 PM
And OMG, the Gamespot gay-reviewers has done it again: Half-Life 2 - 9.2/10! They were also among the lowest for Halo 2, and I have seriously just lost the last little drop of respect I ever had for GS.. They now officially marked themselfs as retards :p :D

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/review.html?q=1&tag=gs_hp_flashtop_story

*** Fixed link above *** - Clay

pinsnpies
11-15-04, 02:25 PM
Well looks like i thought wrong but gamespot do more nitpicking than any other rview website. Ign also says
"Half-Life 2 has usurped DOOM 3's place as the best-looking game on the PC. It's astounding from both a technical and an artistic standpoint"
I didn't expect that at all. I thought Doom 3 was a crap game but had excellent graphics especially the lighting

pinsnpies
11-15-04, 02:28 PM
according to gamespot,
"Surprisingly, Half-Life 2's story is one of the most disappointing aspects of the game. The first half of the game feels a bit unfocused, while the second half seems rushed. Even worse, the story leaves behind a mess of unanswered questions, and it doesn't touch on any of the lingering questions left over from the first game."

Dont like the sound of that at all. :lame:

Ninjaman09
11-15-04, 03:18 PM
And OMG, the Gamespot gay-reviewers has done it again: Half-Life 2 - 9.2/10! They were also among the lowest for Halo 2, and I have seriously just lost the last little drop of respect I ever had for GS.. They now officially marked themselfs as retards
Why? Because they didn't like the story? Their score was dead-on for Halo 2, I thought. Bad single player and awesome multiplayer. I like Gamespot because they're not afraid to say what they think, unlike IGN and PC Gamer who just gush at every single triple-A title that's released.

You haven't played the game yet, so how do you know that the story is good? Besides, if you finished reading the review, you'd notice that they recommended it highly.

pinsnpies
11-15-04, 03:29 PM
the fact that far cry which had a rubbish story scored higher than this makes me wonder about gamespot. I know they are trying to see past the hype but unfortunately until i have played the game, i will decide for myself.

nVidi0t
11-15-04, 03:31 PM
I like Gamespot. They dont let their judgement of a game become clouded because of pure hype or fanboyism, they tell it like it is and are a lot harder on their games. I love PC Gamer, and keep my subscription, but they seem to purposely overlook problems which Gamespot reviewers usually pick up on immediately.

|JuiceZ|
11-15-04, 03:34 PM
Why? Because they didn't like the story? Their score was dead-on for Halo 2, I thought. Bad single player and awesome multiplayer. I like Gamespot because they're not afraid to say what they think, unlike IGN and PC Gamer who just gush at every single triple-A title that's released.

You haven't played the game yet, so how do you know that the story is good? Besides, if you finished reading the review, you'd notice that they recommended it highly.

Agreed. IMO it was one of the best reviews out there. It was completely void of hype & well balanced. The game will be awesome regardless, not sure why ppl are upset it didn't get an extremely high rating like every other review. The expectations are already high enough for this title & its nice to see some balanced opinions out there. Kudos Gamespot for writing what they truly felt & not blending in with the crowd :thumbsup:

msxyz
11-15-04, 03:34 PM
I prefer a review that points out in a detailed way the negative aspects of a game (even if they're few), rather than one that sings praises and nothing more...

bkswaney
11-15-04, 04:16 PM
9 hours and 43min till it's released. :D

Vanzagar
11-15-04, 04:17 PM
And OMG, the Gamespot gay-reviewers has done it again: Half-Life 2 - 9.2/10! They were also among the lowest for Halo 2, and I have seriously just lost the last little drop of respect I ever had for GS.. They now officially marked themselfs as retards

Why do say crap like this when YOU haven't even played it. All this does is confirm the fact that you are a blind fanboy and think it should be blindly reviewed as an awesome game. Don't get pissed at a site for having a review of a game that doesn't meet your expectations.

All the reviews came out so high for Doom3 and I was pissed after I bought and PLAYED the game how overly nice the reviewers were to the game and how they seemed to get caught up in the hype and didn't have enough balls to criticize the game where it deserved it.

Personally, I'd much rather have a worse review and lower expectations going into playing the game...

Vanz

I have lost all repect for IGN long ago their reviews are crap and I seriously think someone there gets paid off for their stupid reviews. I'll never forget the 92% they gave Masters of Orion 3. Here's them and everyone else review:

http://www.gametab.com/pc/master.of.orion.3/1047/

IGN sucks!

saturnotaku
11-15-04, 04:30 PM
The Gamespot review is outstanding. While PC Gamer claimed theirs as a "hype-free zone" - GS pulled it off. It was a no-nonsense review that clearly explained everything about the game, both positive and negative. I never really thought HL2 would break much new ground in terms of gameplay, but the fact that Valve seems to have largely adhered to a lot of the mechanics of the original isn't entirely a bad thing. :)

crainger
11-15-04, 05:46 PM
Well I find it they review a game before I have it, rip the hell out of it, go on about all the tiny little annoyances, yet still give it a high. Then I'll prepared for the worst when I do play, but be pleasently surprised at how good it is. Worked for Halo 2, and will work for Half-Life 2 I'm hoping.

I know thats not how reviews are meant to work, but I have to cut through a games hype somehow.

Mr. Hunt
11-15-04, 05:52 PM
Nope... the end of the world is here... Half Life 2 didn't get a perfect score from a reviewer... we will all perish.

Q
11-16-04, 12:26 AM
Gamespot is usually dead on. I have a lot of respect for them as well...usually very balanced....

I think reviewers like Farcry just because of how pretty the scenery is. I know I just got up on cliffs, made sure no enemies could get me...and used a view over the water as my screensaver. I personally could never get into the game...

I don't think I'll just sit around in HL2 though. I think I'll...gasp...play it!