View Full Version : How many of you getting ready for SLI?

Pages : [1] 2

11-15-04, 06:09 PM
I just received a matching pair of EVGA 6800GT PCI Express Cards. I am planning on either the Asus, MSI, or DFI SLI board and I was just wondering how many others on the forums here are going to be going SLI?

Planned System:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 w/ Thermalright XP-120 (Already Have)
SLI NForce4 Mobo (waiting for release)
2x EVGA 6800GT PCI Express (Already Have)
2x512MB Crucial Ballistix DDR400 (Already Have)
OCZ PowerStream 520W Power Supply (Already Have)

All I need now is the mobo and I am all set. Can't wait!


11-15-04, 06:33 PM

/me is jealous... :D:D

I'm waiting a while to see if SLI sinks or swims in the market... until then I'll be happy with what i have.

11-15-04, 07:01 PM
I'd like to... just would need a new motherboard (obviously) and a PCIe 6800GT. Right now I've got a AGP 6800GT. Hopefully I could sell it for ~$330 and pick up a PCIe version for not tooooo much more.

11-15-04, 07:11 PM
waiting for the sli mobo to come, then ill get one 6800gt and a new cpu. this will probally be durin xmas. ill add on a gt later in 05 when needed :ORDER:

11-15-04, 07:14 PM
Nope, my 3.2c p4, 1.5 gigs of ram, and a BFG 6800GT will have to last me for a bit..

My next planned upgrade will be when dual core CPU's start to become more useful(in games) and/or drop in price after initial release, and the next generation of vid cards (like support of DX10 and the sorts)

11-15-04, 07:35 PM
I am planning on going with SLI 6800GT but I won't get the second one until next year sometime when (hopefully) they come down in price a little.

I'm going to see how Abit does with the AN8-SLI (haven't seen any photos yet, just the model name) but otherwise I think the DFI board looks the best right now.

Where did you get your 6800GT PCIe cards and for how much? The only ones I've seen are on ebay for way too much $$ :\

11-15-04, 08:29 PM
goto www.pricewatch.com i found a few pcie 6800gt's and ultra's listed in stock

as far as sli? Id like too but its not necessary yet. I have 3.4P4 with 6800Ultra and also a 3.2P4 with 6800gt(both are AGP). It wont be till i have to upgrade cpu/motherboard that i will look into sli so that'll be about 1-2 yrs

11-15-04, 08:47 PM
SLI is a bit to pricey , and i would need to rebuild whole system , so no for atleast a year :(

I was thinking haveing Dual Opteron setup with Dual GF6800 Ultras and some 4 gig of ram would be killer :D

Oh and id like to see what Multi GPU solution ATI will offer , who knows , it might be better.

11-15-04, 11:27 PM
Where did you get your 6800GT PCIe cards and for how much? The only ones I've seen are on ebay for way too much $$ :\

I bid on a matching pair on ebay and got them for $450.00 each no tax and $25.00 shipping for both.

I am excited to get the system all up and running. should be a bad ass.


11-16-04, 12:09 AM
Too, pricey IMO. /me waiting for SLI laptop :)

11-16-04, 12:13 AM
not this time.i'm letting the whole hardware thing go for another year and a half.then i'll buy the top of the line.Cost too much to upgrade every six months,like i've done since 1998!

11-16-04, 12:34 AM
Well, I just got this video card, so no. Once a game comes out that really strains my system, I'll upgrade. I should be safe for 2005 I think...

When I do upgrade though, it's gonna be SLI all the way..

Jedi Rainman
11-16-04, 01:39 AM
Same here. I'm going to wait until SLI matures a little more. I'm NOT going to jump on it ASAP, but I am indeed going to upgrade to it next year. Most likely, right before summer.

11-16-04, 02:34 AM
I'm going to get the SLI motherboard but not the cards yet, mind you I'd like to see what bugs the drivers have in games compared to single solutions.

You'll enjoy the FX-55, mine does 2850 easy on air and i managed to get a 3Ghz screen shot as well.



11-16-04, 02:39 AM
I'm waiting for an nForce dual-CPU Xeon board with SLI to use with my PCI Express NV48 reference samples. Until then I'll just make do.

11-16-04, 06:11 AM
I'm waiting to see the performance of the next gen cards that are due out soon. I've heard there's a ATI card out early December...

11-16-04, 07:53 AM
I've already been waiting for a year to upgrade. Athlon 1800 w/5200 Ultra. :( Originally I was going to do it in June but of course then PCI Express was the buzz so I figured I'd just wait for that. I don't have tons of money so I want to have no regrets. I am set on Nforce4 SLI + 6800GT. Going to get a 3500 90nm and hopefully get it up a tiny bit faster. I'm not a big overclocker, just a little one. :)

Add another 6800GT and maybe dual core cpu next year if the price is right.

11-16-04, 08:56 AM
SLI is definatly to pricy. I set myself up with one last AGP system that has to last for about 2 years from now.
2.6ghz AMD 64 and a 450/1200 Leadtek ULTRA will arrive any day now.
I'm quite sure that will last for a while.
SLI is nice but way too expensive.
I'm allready running 2 PSUs thanks to all the lights and stuff inmy case.
A SLI system would make me buy anothr PSU wich would have to be a damn expensive one too.

11-16-04, 04:52 PM
I'm getting phycologically ready for drooling for the next few years.
Just bought an apartment no way I'll be upgrading anytime soon.

11-21-04, 10:57 PM
I think i'll be ready for SLI around NV50 time, at the moment i'm happy to make do with my Ultra.

Carbon Unit
11-22-04, 01:09 AM
I like SLI it will be interesting to see what temps the GT will be running stacked 1 on 1

11-22-04, 10:16 AM
My system is going to have to hold me over for a least nearly two years I done spend too much money on it as it is,and just the video cards would be $800 To $1000 acording witch ones you go with and then I would need a new motherboard.It would just be to much money right now not noing how the next generations of video card do.

11-22-04, 05:41 PM
I would be, but it seems like the only reason I would do it is for a l33t 3dmark03 score. I see no games ATM that can even stress a single 6800 ultra, why get two?

11-28-04, 04:14 PM
I would love to get the Sli ....but i dont know when they motherboards will be available with the intel socket and run 2 ultras with DD waterblocks and a standalone watercooling system just to cool the two cards

*waits patiently*

For now i can run everything at full boat with no problems.

11-28-04, 04:29 PM
I don't intend to uprade, not at the moment anyway. I think my current system can handle 2 more years of games without upgrading. Then, I'm doing a major overhaul. :)