PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life: Source Feedback Thread

Pages : [1] 2

DJMONDY
11-16-04, 04:54 AM
Im currently downloading hl:s now so i cant really post anything yet but if anyone here has been able to peel themselves away from hl2 for a while could you post some shots and give your thoughts here :) .

I'll post some pics when ive finished downloading.

Cheers :)

Melhisedek
11-16-04, 05:51 AM
Man I get bad chekerboard effects all over the place...
Tried 65.73 and 67.02 but with same results... hope you get it to work!

BTW it's on 6800 GT... Nothing is overclocked!

DJMONDY
11-16-04, 06:01 AM
I'll post some pics ASAP.

Ive got another 10mins left before i can play.

rudedog
11-16-04, 06:09 AM
oops sorry guys

|MaguS|
11-16-04, 06:24 AM
Um, This thread is about HL:S not HL2... I haven't tried it, gonna be HL2 first. Games turning out to be great!

DJMONDY
11-16-04, 06:30 AM
Well i tried and tried but half-life:source doesnt want to work for me.

Theres no errors or anything it just stays on the loading screen with a blurry picture in the backround (Dam)

I'll try again later :cry:

Anyone else got it to work

Slybri
11-16-04, 06:45 AM
I was waiting till tonight to play and that image spoiled the whole game for me! Thanks jerk!!! naw just kiddin...

I did try out hl:s this morning. It the same thing, with better lighting here and there and better water, and maybe a little source physics...it looks the same for the most part. Same old textures...and I mean OLD textures...

The nice thing is that they let you pick any chapter to start, so if you already played the game (of course you did) you can check out your favorite parts.

they also have pre-saved load points from the end of the game...so if you want a quick refresh of how HL1 ended before kicking up hl2...there ya go.

I hope DoD:source is more along the lines of CS:Source, using new textures.
Still waiting for that one...

saturnotaku
11-16-04, 06:52 AM
maybe a little source physics...it looks the same for the most part. Same old textures...and I mean OLD textures...

How extensive would you say the use of Source physics is in this game? I am partially predicating my purchase of the HL2 Collector's Edition on the notion that there would be cool physics in HL: Source.

Also, doesn't HL: Source use the high definition texture pack that came with Blue Shift? Or is it using the original textures?

DJMONDY
11-16-04, 09:42 AM
I still cant get it to work.

I must have done something wrong??

I just realised hl:s isnt full downloaded onto my hd.
Amount acquired is 98%

I dont know why i havnt got all of it???

DJMONDY
11-16-04, 10:46 AM
finally i got it working.

I looks quite good, The models havnt been changed at all but they do have some light effects on them.
The ragdoll physics make hl1 seem really cool even after all this time.
And theres some shiney surfaces and scaled down hl2 fire and water effects in there too. :)

I like what has been done but it could have been done so much better.

Heres a pic. All my other pics come out as tga's for some reason

six_storm
11-16-04, 10:53 AM
That screen doesn't look that good. Post some more pics man. I hope that HL:S wasn't that big of a disappointment, people will be pissed.

Melhisedek
11-16-04, 11:00 AM
finally i got it working.

I looks quite good, The models havnt been changed at all but they do have some light effects on them.
The ragdoll physics make hl1 seem really cool even after all this time.
And theres some shiney surfaces and scaled down hl2 fire and water effects in there too. :)

I like what has been done but it could have been done so much better.

Heres a pic. All my other pics come out as tga's for some reason

What spec, settings and what drivers ?

DJMONDY
11-16-04, 11:17 AM
six_storm: I'll post more pics soon unless i can upload or change my tga's into jpeg's

Melhisedek: BFG 6800 Ultra oc with 66.93 drivers

OWA
11-16-04, 11:20 AM
Get irfanview from here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4253

It's fast and best of all it's free. Use it to convert your tga files to jpeg.

DJMONDY
11-16-04, 11:32 AM
Cheers OWA its worked a treat.

Heres some pics:

six_storm
11-16-04, 11:38 AM
I can't tell a difference between the original and Source. Maybe a little in the lighting but that's about it. Oh well, can you tell a difference DJMONDY? Just curious.

DJMONDY
11-16-04, 11:43 AM
Bits here and there.

Theres not really much to it apart from the ragdoll physics, shadows, fire etc.

everything else is exactly the same.

DJMONDY
11-16-04, 11:52 AM
Sorry saturnotaku and everyone else including me who expected the high definition pack (or something better) to be used on the charicter models but, well look at the pic below:

saturnotaku
11-16-04, 11:55 AM
So it's slightly updated versions of the old models. That's somewhat disappointing. However I do prefer the models, sounds and actions of the SMG and shotgun in the old pack. But all the other models look really nice in HD.

six_storm
11-16-04, 11:58 AM
Wow, disappointing. I'm glad I didn't get HL:S. You might as well play the original HL!

DJMONDY
11-16-04, 12:09 PM
If anything valve might update hl:s as the weeks/months go by to make it eventually look like hl2.

That would be cool :)

superklye
11-16-04, 12:25 PM
How extensive would you say the use of Source physics is in this game? I am partially predicating my purchase of the HL2 Collector's Edition on the notion that there would be cool physics in HL: Source.

Also, doesn't HL: Source use the high definition texture pack that came with Blue Shift? Or is it using the original textures?
Just buy the Silver package, seriously. I got the CE and it was NOT worth $80.

Edge
11-16-04, 12:33 PM
Wow, that's really quite disapointing. The shadows, ragdolls, and water effects are nice, but the textures and models look like crap. I thought they were using the High Definition Pack models for HL:S? Very sad, I hope some mod group goes in and actually upgrades the graphics. If they can make a jump like System Shock 2 did with the Rebirth pack...:drooling:

Ahh hell, maybe I should do it myself. Now all I gotta do is...learn how to edit models and textures...

Gaco
11-16-04, 03:35 PM
Wow, that's really quite disapointing. The shadows, ragdolls, and water effects are nice, but the textures and models look like crap. I thought they were using the High Definition Pack models for HL:S? Very sad, I hope some mod group goes in and actually upgrades the graphics. If they can make a jump like System Shock 2 did with the Rebirth pack...:drooling:

Ahh hell, maybe I should do it myself. Now all I gotta do is...learn how to edit models and textures...

Yup, because thats properbly the easiest thing in the whole world :rolleyes: (:p)

(...Man, I gotta learn it too... :))

holmes
11-16-04, 10:54 PM
I'm having problems starting the game... It appears I'm missing a file, this is the error:

unable to load filesystem_stdio.dll

Has anyone had any problems with this? This sucks. I'm downloading CS:S and am hoping whatever's missing is in that download.
(po)