PDA

View Full Version : Best s939 board?

Tr1cK
11-16-04, 12:57 PM
I'm thinking of getting the MSI K8T-Neo2F. I have no need for an extra RAID control and my Audigy has firewire. I'm not interested in getting another nforce chipset anytime soon. I was wondering what results people are getting with this board and maybe any other K8T800 Pro boards. HardOCP had a convincing review of this board for me and it costs about what I want to spend. Think I will pair it with a 2.0ghz Winchester chip.

nVestor
11-16-04, 01:04 PM
I'm diggin the GIGABYTE "GA-K8NSNXP-939" nForce3 Ultra myself. (naw) There's alot of nice cooling going on there. :thumbsup:

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/13-128-254-01.JPG

Tr1cK
11-16-04, 01:16 PM
Very nice board, but I'm looking for something less expensive. The new Via chipsets look to run just as well as the Nvidias and cost less. The only features I really need in a board is o/c features such as voltage controls, onboard LAN, and reliability. The SATA RAID isnt even needed since I dont have any SATA drives yet. I'll migrate to it when I have a chance, I'm still getting good performance out of my RocketRAID 100 setup.

ragejg
11-16-04, 01:32 PM
I'm diggin the GIGABYTE "GA-K8NSNXP-939" nForce3 Ultra myself. (naw) There's alot of nice cooling going on there. :thumbsup:

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/13-128-254-01.JPG

For only $112 is the same board minus the DPS. Check my sig :thumbsup:

Riptide
11-16-04, 01:36 PM
The K8N Neo2 is the most popular right now for overclocking.

The Asus A8V is a good board for stock operation and perhaps some moderate overclocking. The only VIA board that seems to go far w/overclocking is the Abit AV8.

Tr1cK
11-16-04, 01:49 PM
I'm just weary of getting a K8N because I've heard many wont even POST with a Winchester until you flash the BIOS. How in the world could I do that if i only had that one processor? I guess any of those boards could have that problem, but the ones I've seen it with most is the K8N. HardOCP got 260mhz fsb out of the K8T, which is good enough for me. I might try up to 250, but doubt it.

Tr1cK
11-16-04, 01:52 PM
I really plan on buying a board this weekend. My Shuttle AN35N Ultra died and I'm stuck on "ole trusty" (Soyo Dragon+) until I get something else. This KT266A was the best in its day, but that was 3 years ago and SO slow now.

mustrum
11-16-04, 02:18 PM
Definatly the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum and then long time nothing. No board comes even close if you wanna OC.

About the not POSTing with winchester CPUs. Mine did that too even with the 1.3 BISO it came with.
Easy workaround: Boot up with only ONE memory stick init.
After the system is set up shut it down and apply the second memory stick if you own one.
No biggie and after that it never made any trouble.

Tr1cK
11-16-04, 02:25 PM
Wow, does that really work man? So you're saying I'll have no problems with getting it set-up? I'll be using all the components in my sig.

mustrum
11-16-04, 02:28 PM
Wow, does that really work man? So you're saying I'll have no problems with getting it set-up? I'll be using all the components in my sig.
Yeah shouldn't be a problem.

nVestor
11-16-04, 04:44 PM
For only $112 is the same board minus the DPS. Check my sig :thumbsup:
Gonna keep my eye on that one too bud, thanks. :D Any complaints so far? I know it's kinda difficult with the success you are having with it, but you never know. :)

ragejg
11-16-04, 04:49 PM
I'm getting more stability with the ram in slots 3 and 4, and the mobo won't put up with more than 276 htt without failing prime95 and superPi... no real bios problems though. Great board IMO.

I'd like to trade this 3000+ up to a 3200+ though, and enjoy some 10x multiplier action!! :p

bkswaney
11-16-04, 11:44 PM
I'm getting more stability with the ram in slots 3 and 4, and the mobo won't put up with more than 276 htt without failing prime95 and superPi... no real bios problems though. Great board IMO.

I'd like to trade this 3000+ up to a 3200+ though, and enjoy some 10x multiplier action!! :p

I know mine is not a amd board..... ;)
But my Gigabyte is not that great of a OCer.

If I were u I would get the K8n if u r plaining to overclock.

I'm going to wait and see how the NF4 boards
do before I jump on the 64 band wagon.

I really want one bad but I will need to get
faster memory on top of the board and cpu.
My funds will not handle it right now.

But I guess I should be happy with a P4 prescott running 3.5 for now.
I have a gig of memory in it and it's VERY stable.
It's not the fastest for sure but gets the job done. :)

Carbon Unit
11-17-04, 02:23 AM
The one that will contain the Nforce4 SLI chipset

Hunter32
11-17-04, 02:40 PM
The one that will contain the Nforce4 SLI chipset

I'm with you on that one. I'll start with 1 video card and added another
1 later.

ragejg
11-17-04, 03:31 PM
...But my Gigabyte is not that great of a OCer.

a 2.8 @ 3.52? C'mon! That's classifiable as great!! Jeebus, how high are your standards? :p:p

Richteralan
11-17-04, 04:37 PM
there's not many mobo using NF3 Ultra chipset
the Epox is another good choice