PDA

View Full Version : Steam - Connection Reset

Jon
11-16-04, 02:37 PM
Every time I try to create my account on steam I get a winsock error: Connection Reset by Peer
Thanks Valve... anyone got any suggestions... I am taking Half Life 2 back tomorrow otherwise? :lame:

Toss3
11-16-04, 04:06 PM
the servers are just 2 busy nothing else... one would have thought that steam would have doubled their bandwith or something now that hl2 was released :S can't play it either :( :bash:

Jon
11-16-04, 05:05 PM
Thanks, you were right. I stuck with it and after 2 hours of retrying I finally got the servers are busy but you can play anyway message. Took another hour to unlock the game, but I got to play a couple of levels finally.

saturnotaku
11-16-04, 05:08 PM
Mine's been sitting at 83% for the last 30 minutes. This is complete and utter crapola.

bkswaney
11-16-04, 05:25 PM
I knew it was going to be like this today.
That's why I stayed up last night and got it.
It took about 10min for it to unlock.

bmg
11-16-04, 05:30 PM
I knew it was going to be like this today.
That's why I stayed up last night and got it.
It took about 10min for it to unlock.
Yup, sounds like losing some sleep last night was well worth it.

lifter-aao
11-16-04, 05:31 PM
STEAM *UCK.
steam cant find my acountname: user unknown
i want to reset my password, but.....unknown user....

o.k. i want to login with my old password:

unknown password.

F*uck STEAM

i am waiting so long for this game an now.....? i hope my acountinformations
are not lost in the steam server....

msxyz
11-16-04, 05:33 PM
It took me 1 hour and a half. Two crashes, several "server are too busy" and at least one "user unknown". Atop of this, what I've seen so far of the game does not impress me.

bigC
11-16-04, 05:41 PM
i get this error message (see attached image). i played for awhile, but saw major graphical glitches, so i stopped, uninstalled Cat 4.11 and installed 4.12b. now, it doesn't start. steam is trash. also, i couldn't register the game, ie, servers were busy.

edit: right after posting, i tried the game and managed to actually get in. 4.12b fixed the graphical probs for me. :D

OWA
11-16-04, 05:46 PM
About 1 hour and 45 minutes here before I was able to get to the main menu of HL2. Now that I've made it that far it still takes forever to launch the game. I guess they don't want you to ever close it once you have it up and running. I can't seem to launch the game without having steam running even though I've already registered the game. If I try to run the game from the start menu I get a "mounting" error saying steam is busy. So, I have to have steam running and use its launching method. Even when having steam automatically run when windows starts (I don't want that) and logging me in automatically, it still takes forever for the main menu of HL2 to appear. It's just ridiculous. Why make it so difficult just to run the game????

OWA
11-16-04, 05:47 PM
i get this error message (see attached image). i played for awhile, but saw major graphical glitches, so i stopped, uninstalled Cat 4.11 and installed 4.12b. now, it doesn't start. steam is trash. also, i couldn't register the game, ie, servers were busy.
Did you launch it from the start menu or from the steam "my games" area? I get the same error you do when trying to launch the game from the start menu but it works if I use steam to run it.

bigC
11-16-04, 05:54 PM
Did you launch it from the start menu or from the steam "my games" area? I get the same error you do when trying to launch the game from the start menu but it works if I use steam to run it.i tried starting the game from the start menu, not through steam, and the game loaded ok. i think it's just a crazy steam glitch, or something.

demonized
11-16-04, 05:56 PM
I can't login and getting this. "could not connect to steam network"
so evryone dont exit steam if you keep playing hl2.

betterdan
11-16-04, 06:17 PM
I can't log on either dammit. I keep getting "Could not connect to steam network This could be due to a problem with your internet connection or with the Steam network."

I tried disabling my internet connection but it still won't play because it says i have no user login info available on this machine. Really? Then how the sweet hell did we play it on here last night? This is lame as hell.

msxyz
11-17-04, 02:36 AM
Even when having steam automatically run when windows starts (I don't want that) and logging me in automatically, it still takes forever for the main menu of HL2 to appear. It's just ridiculous. Why make it so difficult just to run the game????The loading times are really absurd... Not to mention that the game swaps and occasionally freezes for some seconds while playing. I'm wonder how people with 512MB of RAM are playing (or 256MB, as the box suggests as minimum specs! LOL). At this rate, not even 1 GigaByte is enough :retard: