PDA

View Full Version : Forceware is not keen about remembering my OC settings.

Pages : [1] 2

nIghtorius
11-16-04, 02:58 PM
I have recenly bought an GF6800GT.. and it could OC to 400/1150 with a 360watts PSU (470 Watts already in order).

but my problem is.. I can OC.. but whenever I go to the display options again or reboot my PC (when "apply clockspeeds on reboot" is enabled) it reverts back to it's default 350/1000..

I tried 61.77 & the new 66.93.. both give the same problem. I also have to "agree" every time again when I want to OC.. what gives?

setting it to 400/1150 manually after every reboot start getting on my nerves.. It can run stable @ those speeds (it autodetect's a 398 core and 1148 memory even @ 1.4 bios voltmod). but why doesn't it want to stick.

same with Rivatuner.. it wants to reboot so it can determine my clockspeeds.. I reboot and still it wants to reboot.. what am I doing wrong here?

fivefeet8
11-16-04, 03:27 PM
You have to enable NvCPL to boot up with windows. Then it will keep the OC settings on restart.

nIghtorius
11-17-04, 12:56 PM
I don't have a NvCPL service installed.. the only service I have installed is "NVIDIA Display Driver Service" and it is called nvsvc32.exe..

And NvCPL is in my Run section of the registry as:

NvCPLDeamon, RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

both are active & running.. I am really clueless here.

fivefeet8
11-17-04, 01:14 PM
goto your start menu and select run, then type:

msconfig

Check your startup options and make sure NvCPL is selected to start up with your system.

nIghtorius
11-18-04, 03:08 PM
goto your start menu and select run, then type:

msconfig

Check your startup options and make sure NvCPL is selected to start up with your system.

I told you.. It IS selected to start up.. that's just the weird part of it.

nIghtorius
11-20-04, 09:27 PM
** kick topic **

nIghtorius
11-24-04, 01:30 PM
** kick topic **

** kick **

It seems that this one is a tough one.. tried everything.. deinstall driver / reboot / reinstall driver.. did not work.

deinstall driver / reboot into safe mode / reinstall driver did not work.

I am really getting irritated by this "small" problem. Why o Why can't it remember my clocksettings? even if you tell him too. It forgets them immediality.. when I go to the advanced properties it already forget them. even the "agree" thing you have to do before u overclock is back every time. :bash:

The Punisher
11-27-04, 04:39 PM
I dunno about 6800 cards but on FX cards like mine I OC it in 3D, switch back to 2D, "downclock" it back to default, then switching again to 3D & reOCing it back up (without rebooting) solved my OC defaulting problems.

npras42
11-27-04, 08:38 PM
Try doing it like this:

Open the NV Control Panel, go to clockspeeds screen. Select Manual overclock and agree to User License thingy. go to 2d settings and select the clock speed you want. Click test settings. CLICK APPLY. select the memory speed you want. click test settings. CLICK APPLY. go to 3d settings. set clockspeed. test new settings. CLICK APPLY. set memory speed. test new settings. CLICK APPLY. CLICK OK. Restart your PC and see if settings have changed.

btw clicking apply is the important bit on whether it remembers the setting. So follow the instructions quite meticulously, before you say it doesn't work. If it still doesnt work, try RivaTuner.

nIghtorius
11-27-04, 08:59 PM
I tried your solution.. but it seems it doesn't matter.. the thing just won't remember the damn settings..

What am I doing wrong here?? I recorded a small movie (3megs) to illustrate what I am doing here. (note: I am not going to try to set reboot clock speeds, just try to get the clockspeeds from the first session back and it fails)

you can download the movie here (http://www.phibiansoft.net/files/wtf.avi)

nIghtorius
11-27-04, 09:01 PM
So follow the instructions quite meticulously, before you say it doesn't work. If it still doesnt work, try RivaTuner.

same with Rivatuner.. it wants to reboot so it can determine my clockspeeds.. I reboot and still it wants to reboot.. what am I doing wrong here?

I already tried that option.. with no avail :(

The Punisher
11-29-04, 08:48 AM
After viewing u're little video, try this.
1. Agree tio license blah blah blah.
2. Straight go to 3D OC menu.
3. OC both clocks.
4. Test but "don't" apply.
5. Go to 2D OC menu.
6. Downclock the core & mem.
7. Test & "don't" apply also.
8. Go back to 3D & OC it back up.
9. Test, apply & reboot.

If this works then u also hav to reboot for the OC settings to take effect.
If it doesn't work then retry everything with steps 4 & 7 with Apply instead.

npras42
11-29-04, 09:03 AM
Click the little box that says "Apply Settings on Restart" (in German i assume). Don't check your settings again until after restarting your PC.

I know this makes it very annoying for testing because you cant just change and then test, but you have to go through a restart first. Thats the way I have always done it and I always assumed that most other people were doing it the same way as well.

Many people have had the same problem as you including me. In fact I just did exactly as you did on my own PC and it did exactly the same thing. You have to restart to make it work I think or else something has gone badly wrong since I installed these drivers a week or so ago.

alucard_x
11-29-04, 10:34 PM
.... or you could give up and use rivatuner instead heh.

nIghtorius
11-30-04, 09:23 AM
Still all of your solutions seems not to be the solution to my problem.. Before this card I had a radeon and before that card I had a GF4 Ti4200.. I had never trouble OC'ing that Ti4200 using coolbits and it always worked like a charm. but this thing.. Once I OC it.. it does.. my 3dmark03 scores go up.. doom III runs faster. meaning my core is running actually faster.

with my old Ti4200 I just went back to the clocksettings and the old speeds were remembered. and it sticks to those settings. but this. it's all back to default now.

it's even funnier.. When I run a 3D app windowed with the rivatuner clockspeed/temp/volt graphs and it is OC'ed.. thus running 390/1150 nicely.. but when I go to the advanced settings it immediality returns to stockspeeds. (man.. I didn't enter the clockspeed area even yet)..

setting / testing / applying / ok / reboot didn't do it for me.
setting / testing / unsetting / testing / setting / testing / apply / ok / reboot was also a no go.

rivatuner says I have to reboot to detect clockspeeds.. I reboot.. and it again says I have to reboot to detect clockspeeds.. I reboot.. and it again says....blah blah..

deinstalled / detonator-removed / installed drivers of various versions.. it all boils to the same.. not going to work. I think the only solution to this thing is completely re´nstalling windows again.. which I don't like considering all the **** I have to install again.. for now.. BUT JUST FOR NOW.. the card's running @ stock.. I think something is ****ed up beyond any repair in my registry for my gfx-card.

npras42
11-30-04, 01:09 PM
Yeah. I think you're right. As said, many people including me have had the same problem but ours was quite easily resolved.

You could probably change the speeds for the card through a bios mod, but its much more risky IMO.

PS. Sorry, I should have said Dutch in my last post, not German. I can't imagine either of you appreciate being confused.

nIghtorius
11-30-04, 03:06 PM
PS. Sorry, I should have said Dutch in my last post, not German. I can't imagine either of you appreciate being confused.

don't be.. for foreigners dutch / german can look quite alike..

Lfctony
11-30-04, 03:35 PM
Why don't you use Detect Now for Rivatuner?

nIghtorius
11-30-04, 04:22 PM
Why don't you use Detect Now for Rivatuner?

Already tried that.. and guess what it does..

when I click on 'Enable Driver-level hardware overclocking' it asks for a reboot / or your Detect Now.. rebooting brings me nowhere.. "Detect Now" unchecks the "Enable Driver-level hardware overclocking" without asking. Thus bringing me nowhere.

citizenblue
12-02-04, 07:36 PM
OK, time out. I had this problem too and got really ticked after trying a lot of things that didn't work, including Google.

What fixed it for me:

I had to get the 'Settings' drop-down to always show 'Standard (2D)' when I opened up the nVidia control panel. What I mean is, instead of seeing 'Performance (3D)' - it would always revert back to default clock speeds on reboot if this was the case. By default, you will always see 'Performance (3D)' because you are selecting it, testing the new frequencies and then clicking 'Apply'.

OK, make your o/c changes and click 'Apply'. Click 'OK' and 'OK' again to get rid of the display options. OK, now open up the nVidia control panel again.

Once you do this, change it to read 'Standard (2D)' and then go to some other tab and change a setting or two and then back again to get the 'Apply' button to light up. Click 'Apply' and then OK/OK. Go back in to the nVidia control panel. Does it still show 'Standard (2D)'? If not, futz with it until it shows 'Standard (2D)' when you open the control panel. Once it does, you should be able to reboot and it will (hopefully) keep your settings. This is what fixed it for me, with a little luck, it will work for you.

nIghtorius
12-03-04, 09:49 AM
OK, time out. I had this problem too and got really ticked after trying a lot of things that didn't work, including Google.

What fixed it for me:

I had to get the 'Settings' drop-down to always show 'Standard (2D)' when I opened up the nVidia control panel. What I mean is, instead of seeing 'Performance (3D)' - it would always revert back to default clock speeds on reboot if this was the case. By default, you will always see 'Performance (3D)' because you are selecting it, testing the new frequencies and then clicking 'Apply'.

Nope.. it's always on Standard (2D). and I have to agree everytime that the damages done by OC'ing is my responsibility dialog thingy

OK, make your o/c changes and click 'Apply'. Click 'OK' and 'OK' again to get rid of the display options. OK, now open up the nVidia control panel again.

By doing this my clockspeeds are @ stock again

Once you do this, change it to read 'Standard (2D)' and then go to some other tab and change a setting or two and then back again to get the 'Apply' button to light up. Click 'Apply' and then OK/OK. Go back in to the nVidia control panel. Does it still show 'Standard (2D)'? If not, futz with it until it shows 'Standard (2D)' when you open the control panel. Once it does, you should be able to reboot and it will (hopefully) keep your settings. This is what fixed it for me, with a little luck, it will work for you.

When I do this.. my clockspeeds are stock again and it already reads Standard (2D) and I have to agree to the dialog thingy again.

answers and comments in bold..

it seems that I have a completely different problem here.. :(

Joe Public
12-03-04, 10:08 AM
That's a weird and annoying problem you got there. I have the same card as you, and it remembers my settings with no probs. I'm currently using the 66.81 WHQL drivers. (I tried the 66.93 driver, but it gave me bugs in games. Didn't try any OC'ing with it)

nIghtorius
12-03-04, 10:22 AM
That's a weird and annoying problem you got there. I have the same card as you, and it remembers my settings with no probs. I'm currently using the 66.81 WHQL drivers. (I tried the 66.93 driver, but it gave me bugs in games. Didn't try any OC'ing with it)

That's why I am thinking something is really f*cked up with my windows xp installation.. probably a re´nstall should resolve the issue.. but installing windows with all those apps again takes for me too much time.. I rather wait this out (when I HAVE TOO REINSTALL windows again)..

probably I could de´nstalling the drivers again.. remove everything in the registry considering the drivers and file-for-file clean my system32(/drivers) directories for forceware driver files.. and install the drivers again..

I know it's not hardware related.. probably some annoying file from my radeon driver days has survived and is probably causing all this annoyance.

OWA
12-03-04, 10:39 AM
Make sure you don't have a probe.sys (do a search for it) still installed from when you had your ATI card installed. I can't remember if probe.sys is the exact name but it is something like that. It gets installed with some of the ATI tweaking programs and once when switching back and forth between ATI and nvidia that caused some similiar issues for me (not sure why). Probably grasping at straws but maybe worth a shot if nothing else has worked.

npras42
12-04-04, 07:35 PM
Oh. Have you tried using DriverCleaner to get rid of anything ATI related on your PC? Look at guru3d for the link. You should probably get rid of your NV drivers using the same program as well and then re-install them all over. Then try the methods offered above again to see if it works.