PDA

View Full Version : Shimmering bug fixed!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Ruined
11-16-04, 05:55 PM
For most this appears to have fixed the shimmering bug

Install these beta drivers:
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_67.02.html

use Negative LOD Bias clamp under Performance & Quality/Advanced
Set quality level to "High Quality"

done deal :)

ChrisRay
11-16-04, 05:58 PM
For most this appears to have fixed the shimmering bug

Install these beta drivers:
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_67.02.html

use Negative LOD Bias option

done deal :)

And you didnt believe me when I said they knew about it. :ORDER: heh Oh right.. it was the chipsets for AMD platforms.

rewt
11-16-04, 06:03 PM
Then why do half the people still say there is shimmering in those drivers? Even if they did fix the shimmering, they broke something else in its place (Vsync) :rolleyes: You'll probably notice I'm getting pretty fed up with these drivers, which is why I've gone all the way back to 65.73. And even those aren't perfect.

ChrisRay
11-16-04, 06:07 PM
Early drivers, I wouldnt expect them to be perfect with every game. Its a very early release set. That and I wouldnt expect shimmering to ever be truly removed with the new adaptive AF that are now available in NV4x chips. This same problem applies to any chip which implements AF in such a way (r200, r300 ect)

ChrisRay
11-16-04, 06:08 PM
Let me try vsync. Myself. i havent used it since I have been playing EQ 2. But its worth checking.

Edit: Vsync working fine for me. What application are you having trouble in?

rewt
11-16-04, 06:10 PM
my usual tests for the vsync bug are Chameleonmark and FarCry. Vsync just doesn't work at all in FarCry, even if I leave the control panel on app controlled and apply it in-game. It still tears like crazy.

StaticXtra
11-16-04, 06:13 PM
I for one am extremely pleased with the result of this shimmering fix. Everquest the roginal which still occupies 90% of my playtime (well until I finish registering HL2) is now devoid of shimmering.
Having previously needed to boost LoD to 1.0 using rivatuner, this is a huge improvement to me as all textures are no longer having their quality reduced.

ChrisRay
11-16-04, 06:14 PM
my usual tests for the vsync bug are Chameleonmark and FarCry. Vsync just doesn't work at all in FarCry, even if I leave the control panel on app controlled and apply it in-game. It still tears like crazy.

Hmm. Have you tried another software? I'm curious if its Nv3x specific. I havent had a problem with it in EQ 2.

Jethro
11-16-04, 06:15 PM
Awesome news! anyone know the registry setting? :)

rewt
11-16-04, 06:16 PM
Yes well I am glad you finally get rid of the shimmering issues. Now if only nV could code a driver to make everyone happy at once.

*edit - I will re-install the driver and try to capture screenshots of my problem. It is very serious.

FearMeAll
11-16-04, 06:34 PM
wow I'm so glad these drivers came out. I do not have to sell my card anymore. I get digital Vibrance and NO SHIMMERING. I'm glad I waited this out. I just kept remembering my Ti4200 days and how the drivers just got faster and better.
Now I can not tell any IQ difference from my old 9800pro except that my 6800 will do more angles of anistropy.
Very happy customer here.

rewt
11-16-04, 06:38 PM
Problem solved. Had to uninstall 65.73, reboot into safe mode, run Driver Cleaner, install 67.02, and reboot 2 more times. Installed coolbits 3d with nvtweak and now the problem is gone. The only thing I did different this time was reboot 1 extra time. Guess I should have gone thru the release notes better the first time. Boy do I feel like an idiot now!! lol. Thanks for your help Chris :)

K007
11-16-04, 06:49 PM
No changes to me. Used driver cleaner, etc , etc. Setting the new option from Clamp to Allow had no effect. Shimmering is very clear in CS Source stress test, the last scene is just full of it, the background wall is so badly shimmering, and i think thats the worst case area where it is happening.

rewt
11-16-04, 06:53 PM
Setting the new option from Clamp to Allow had no effect.

Got that backwards? You want the setting on Clamp, not Allow.

I've done a lot of tests and Vsync is working smoothly in all my apps now :D Wow these are pretty fine drivers after all!

AnteP
11-16-04, 06:54 PM
Texture filtering is top notch when turning off all optimizations and setting the new setting to clamp.
But it hurts performance like hell.

Which one or two of the optimizations hurt IQ the least?
I usually go with the default two enabled in "Quality" mode but IQ isn't quite good enough me thinks.

I need a faster videocard, this 6800UE doesn't cut it. Gimme a refresh or SLI setup, NOW! ;)

*not happy until I can play all games at 1600x1200 4xAA/16xAF with no optimizations*

Jethro
11-16-04, 07:04 PM
woohoo! they are the real deal! thanks nvidia! (alf)

Arioch
11-17-04, 04:52 AM
Too bad these aren't in the latest set of official drivers. Is there a way to modify an .inf file for an existing driver set to get this feature?

rewt
11-17-04, 04:57 AM
I'm afraid not. This new feature has been built into the Nvidia Control Panel. (nvcpl.dll)

Pandora's Box
11-17-04, 12:38 PM
well glad that they fixed the shimmering. a little too late for me though.

odin20
11-17-04, 02:13 PM
im really impressed with the driver, looks good and no shimmering.
Good to see they are on top of things finally.

Moot
11-17-04, 11:12 PM
I flipped through the nvidia controll panell, and I can't seem to find the "Negative LOD Bias option". Where is it?

rewt
11-17-04, 11:13 PM
Under Performance & Quality Settings, advanced.

Superfly
11-18-04, 04:49 AM
I need a faster videocard, this 6800UE doesn't cut it. Gimme a refresh or SLI setup, NOW! ;)

*not happy until I can play all games at 1600x1200 4xAA/16xAF with no optimizations*

will never happen - not ALL games.

keep dreamin

odin20
11-18-04, 04:26 PM
i was wrong shimmering still apparent, damn nvidia.

Arioch
11-18-04, 05:03 PM
i was wrong shimmering still apparent, damn nvidia.

How bad is it? Have you tried using high quality mode? People are reporting that most games using this feature have basically eliminated the issue. There are some games that still have a problem and it may be an issue with that game and not the drivers. I don't think you can eliminate shimmering 100% in all games.