PDA

View Full Version : How is HL2 performing on the 6800's

ppeccin
11-16-04, 05:17 PM
Come on guys.
You the already have HL2, post how it performs.
Compare it to other games like DOOM3, FarCry.

Thanks.

NvViolator
11-16-04, 05:25 PM
I have it, just cannot activate it steam network must be overloaded. damn you valve to hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........ :bash:

betterdan
11-16-04, 05:27 PM
I can't connect to Steam right now to play either but last night we played it @1280x1024, everything maxed, 4xAA and 8xAF and it was smooth as hell.

ppeccin
11-16-04, 05:37 PM
Do you mean you have to connect to the internet EVERY time you want to play?
Please tell me you're kidding.

NvViolator
11-16-04, 05:40 PM
Im afraid not, seems if steams down so will your hl2.

Buck Armstrong
11-16-04, 05:40 PM
I saw it this morning on my friend's GT. Ran smooth at 1600x1200, 4xAA & 8xAF.

However, I can't try it on my GT since Steam has been jerking me around all day long even though I prepaid and preloaded. What a huge "steaming" pile of sh*t it turned out to be, even with all this time to prepare.

I don't even want to play the game anymore...I just want my money back.

FierceDeityLink
11-16-04, 06:56 PM
lol, everyone else (who didn't participate in beta Steam, didn't preload, etc.) is having problems.

betterdan
11-16-04, 07:02 PM
I preloaded and was having problems. What is so funny about that? Anyways the pile of **** steam finally let me on. it does suck having to have steam running in the background because it is using up 40mb ram just sitting there. At least the fools could diminish it's memory use if it has to be on.

superklye
11-16-04, 07:07 PM
I have everything maxed @ 1280x1024 and it runs like a dream apart from a few jitters right after load...it's smooth and gorgeous. It's the greatest game ever made.

ppeccin
11-16-04, 07:39 PM
So if you dont have internet connectivity, you cannot play the game?
I dont believe this.
You pay for the game, pay for your hardware, and if you want to play the game, lets say, in your ranch, or in your notebook in some place that don't have internet connection, you just can't????
:lame: :lame: :lame: :lame: :lame: :lame: :lame:

ppeccin
11-16-04, 07:41 PM
I have everything maxed @ 1280x1024 and it runs like a dream apart from a few jitters right after load...it's smooth and gorgeous. It's the greatest game ever made.

Then it is LESS demanding on the hardware than DOOM3?
What about that talk, the 6800's being not so good at D3D and so?

OWA
11-16-04, 07:54 PM
So if you dont have internet connectivity, you cannot play the game?
I dont believe this.
You pay for the game, pay for your hardware, and if you want to play the game, lets say, in your ranch, or in your notebook in some place that don't have internet connection, you just can't????
:lame: :lame: :lame: :lame: :lame: :lame: :lame:
That seems to be the case so far and it is extremely annoying. After paying $55 you then get to wait and wait and wait. It took about 1 hour and 45 minutes to get it installed and running. Now, it has to connect to steam and log you in every time you play the game (offline mode doesn't seem to work). The connecting and getting to the main menu takes forever. The loading of the different areas once you're in the game takes a while. I guess they're trying to teach everyone patience.

It does look great though and runs smooth on my 6800U. I'm playing at 1280x1024 4xAA/8xAF. I had to ditch the 70.41s I was using since I had major graphical corruption...so bad that even after exiting the game windows was completely screwed up. I'm now using the 67.02s and they seem to work well with it. Anyway, I had planned to wait until they ditched steam or the internet requirement but everyone talking about it today got me too excited so I caved in and bought it. I really wish I hadn't. It's a shame they ruin the experience of what looks to be a pretty good game. I definitely won't buy another game that requires steam.

Edit: Someone found the steps needed to make HL2 work without an internet connection after the initial time of activating it has been completed. See here (post by betterdan) for the details:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=476281&posted=1#post476281

Drumphil
11-16-04, 08:00 PM
well, if they don't fix the problems with offline play I might get annoyed, but I can't see it being more than a glitch.

OWA
11-16-04, 08:03 PM
Apparently there is a procedure that needs to be followed for it to work. See the link I added in the "edit" part of my message for the details.

superklye
11-16-04, 08:08 PM
Then it is LESS demanding on the hardware than DOOM3?
What about that talk, the 6800's being not so good at D3D and so?

I didn't find Doom 3 to be demanding on my hardware at all, so I guess I can't really comment. I don't know anything about the 6800s not being good at D3D either, so again, I can't comment.

All I know is that this is the best game I've ever played.

betterdan
11-16-04, 08:12 PM
Doom 3 ran pretty darn good on my computer but so far it seems like HL2 looks better and actually runs better than Doom 3 did.

Decimator
11-16-04, 08:21 PM
What a bloody palaver all this Steam HL2 nonsense is, if there are any other developers thinking of doing something like this, they'd better make sure that it's a game that people really want or noone will buy it after this fiasco.

As far as the playing offline bit goes, there's a bit about that on the leaflet that came with the game and it says you just have to check the box that says "Remember my password" on the Steam login screen (after you've created your Steam account and validated the CD key....or is there more to it than that?

betterdan
11-16-04, 08:28 PM
There is more to it than that. It will remember your password just fine with that checked...until you log off the computer or turn it off then it forgets and it makes you log into Steam via the internet again to validate or something. After that you can play offline all you want...until you log off or turn off the computer again then you start all over again. LAME
I guess it's fine for people that never turn off their computers or only have 1 log in account on their computers but for the rest of us that is just dumb.

vhx1
11-16-04, 08:36 PM
Heres some info for how to make steam offline work http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=213&p_created=1094245645&p_sid=yIDnVHqh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfc m93X2NudD0yNTMmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=
valve definitely mae a big mistake making it so hard top play the damn single player mode

Dr.Nick
11-16-04, 08:54 PM
Running at 1600, 4xAA, 8xAF, everything maxed in game like butter. Fantastic game and I'm thankfull that it runs good on nVidia:)

|JuiceZ|
11-16-04, 10:14 PM
Let's stick to one (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40740) thread ladies. Please post your gameplay and/or performance feedback there please, thanks.

Nutty
11-17-04, 07:25 AM
Runs fine in offline mode for me. Was playing at 1280x960 max settings, 4xAA 8xAF, silky smooth.

You only need to be online to activate it. If Steam is being lame, disconnect your network cable, then re-run it. It'll let you play in offline mode then.