PDA

View Full Version : Quality v's High Quality Question

bagman
11-16-04, 08:01 PM
Hi there
Have read the ChrisRay sticky on this matter and hope that someone can confirm whether I have understood this subject correctly........

The "Quality" setting is basically "Brilinear" with trilinear optimization enabled. This is the setting to use if yu wish to have improved performance over IQ as compared to High Quality.

The "High Quality" setting is full trilinear with no optimizations enabled. Use this setting for improved IQ with small performance loss as compared to Quality.

Am I way off the mark with my understanding ?????

In "High Quality" anistropic optimization is not enabled. Does that mean if yu are using 8XAF it is more a strain on yur CPU than if the opt was enabled ??
In High Quality is anistropic filtering fully enabled as compared to Quality ??

So to summarise, "High Quality" gives yu better IQ at the expense of some performance whereas "Quality" gives slighlty less IQ but with better performance......as compared to "High Quality".

I run a 6800GT with 1gb of memory on a P42.8mhz. I prefer 1024x768 with 4AA/8AF.
Shud I have "High Quality" as my Global Driver settings and use "Quality" in the Application Profile for more CPU intensive games such as Doom 3 and Far Cry ???

Many thanks in advance for all comments

Bagman

red_star
11-16-04, 09:23 PM
Take Quality!!! You will see no difference, and you can set AF Optimisation ON. It works really nice. It's well banalced quality/performance.

bagman
11-16-04, 11:22 PM
Excuse my complete ignorance but what is the advantage of turning on AF optimization??

cheers and thks for the response
Bagman

rewt
11-17-04, 03:44 AM
it is supposed to provide better performance with AF. but with my system it actually seems to hurt performance. so i use high quality.

MikeC
11-17-04, 04:42 AM
Hi there
Have read the ChrisRay sticky on this matter and hope that someone can confirm whether I have understood this subject correctly........

The following chart may be helpful...

http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce_6600_gt/images/texture_filtering_chart.png

dmumu
11-17-04, 05:08 AM
thank you for this chart, it answered me a lot of (noob) questions