PDA

View Full Version : Will Doom be multiprocessor optimized?

fantomas
11-16-02, 01:02 AM
Anyone know if Doom3 is gonna be able to take advantage of a duel cpu configuration? In fact, are any games? I cant find out any info about this, any websites that have reviews of a duel box compared to a standard pc benchmarking quake3 or something.

:D

fantomas
11-16-02, 01:14 AM
Hmm, Anand has a fat article about duel Athlons where he says:

Performance here is dependent on not only a fast processor but a fast graphics subsystem; luckily 3D Studio MAX is multithreaded so it can easily take advantage of moving to multiple processors[COLOR=skyblue]

you can read the whole thing here (http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1483)

Still dont know if Doom, or any games, are multithreaded.

Nephilim
11-16-02, 01:42 AM
Quake 3 is able to use multiple processors.

One can assume that Doom3 will.

fantomas
11-16-02, 02:44 AM

A bit of googling around points out on apples (http://www.apple.com) site that return to castle wolfenstein is mp (http://www.apple.com/games/articles/2002/02/wolfenstein/) so I guess its pretty common in new games. Interestingly you can get an mp version of Fritz (http://www.bcmchess.co.uk/reviews/bcmrev0209.html), the toughest computer opponent chess game. :cool:

The Baron
11-16-02, 11:09 AM
Course it will, Q3 was, Falcon4 was, all Q3 engine games are, and THIS IS JC HERE! :p

fantomas
11-16-02, 05:54 PM
Course it will, Q3 was, Falcon4 was, all Q3 engine games are, and THIS IS JC HERE!

Tech report (http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2001q4/athlonmp-1900/index.x?pg=4) do a mp test with Quake 3, to quote the results:

Here we have some very interesting results indeed. Looking at the overall picture, it seems that the SMP support in Quake III Arena gets you very little above simply overcoming the overhead introduced by having two processors.

The situation repeats itself with the 1900+, as the single-CPU configuration beats all comers except for the dual 1900+ with SMP enabled. At the high end, the gain achieved with dual processors is much less—only an additional 0.6 frames per second.

It's possible that memory bandwidth limitations are responsible for the miniscule gains at the high end, but the Duron results show that even without a possible memory bottleneck, the SMP support in Q3A is no miracle worker.

So yeah, I would really love it if Doom 3 improved from this state of affairs. I havent seen the alpha, not that the 0.02 version is anything to make serious judgements from, but I would be very interested to see if any Multiproccessor commands are in the game. For example, in Quake 3 by setting the in-game variable r_smp to 1, support for multiple processors is enabled.

Anyone Tried this with the Alpha??

StealthHawk
11-16-02, 09:15 PM
Quake 3 had horrible SMP support. period.

The Baron
11-16-02, 10:23 PM
That test is absolutely pointless.

OF COURSE it's going to have the same performance, it's not stressing the CPU, it's stressing the video card. Now, if you try Falcon 4, create a custom mission with 600 planes or so, and then try it, it's going to stress the hell out of your CPU and that would be a semi-accurate test.

You can't really test SMP with games because they're all still limited by the video card instead of the proc. We need better AI or something like that before we're going to get CPU problems...

fantomas
11-17-02, 12:36 AM
Yeah, doom 3 is meant to be mean on the CPU with a deep physics engine so you would think multiproccessor would be an advantage....but then with Clawhammer and 64 bit cpu's just round the corner ....:D

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception."
~ Groucho Marx ~

The Baron
11-17-02, 12:57 AM
You know when SMP and all that is going to make a difference?

True deformable environments.

We've got Stage 1 of that--a good physics engine. Stage 2 is actually making environments deformable according to the laws of physics.

It's on-the-fly object generation, pretty much. Red Faction had it, but it was lame.

But think about it--what if you can use a pack of C4 on a steel door, have it blow in halfway, and then fire a railgun round at it and have the door fly in?

It's gonna be BADASS! :D

fantomas
11-17-02, 12:59 AM
OF COURSE it's going to have the same performance, it's not stressing the CPU, it's stressing the video card. Now, if you try Falcon 4, create a custom mission with 600 planes or so, and then try it, it's going to stress the hell out of your CPU and that would be a semi-accurate test.

Yeah I would really like to see the results of a test like that, or one with some openGL apps. If anyone knows any good articles online about this stuff then let me know:D

fantomas
11-17-02, 01:03 AM
But think about it--what if you can use a pack of C4 on a steel door, have it blow in halfway, and then fire a railgun round at it and have the door fly in?

It's gonna be BADASS!

Agreed:D :D

StealthHawk
11-17-02, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by =SSC=The Baron
That test is absolutely pointless.

You can't really test SMP with games because they're all still limited by the video card instead of the proc. We need better AI or something like that before we're going to get CPU problems...

Quake 3 at 640X480 is not limited by the video card.

you may have a case at higher resolutions, but i think the culprit here is just that Quake 3 has poor SMP support.

outriding9800
11-17-02, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Quake 3 at 640X480 is not limited by the video card.

you may have a case at higher resolutions, but i think the culprit here is just that Quake 3 has poor SMP support.

i dont agree with that. ( the smp part )

i have a smp system and without smp enabled i get about 70 fps

with smp enabled i get about 110 fps

if you look at alot of apps and just consider os / smp overhead i would have to say that is not bad.

windows ( w2k / xp / nt ) is probably the culpruit.

linux does so much better smp support.

fantomas
11-17-02, 02:46 PM
i have a smp system and without smp enabled i get about 70 fps

with smp enabled i get about 110 fps

Whats the system specs and what kind of rez do you use for Quake? I think I am just going to have to wait and see what Doom3 is like on smp, unless someone has checked this out with the 0.02 alpha version...:)

fantomas
11-17-02, 03:07 PM
whats going to be the ultimate iron to run doom 3 on? Xeons? (nah) Opterons? Clawhammer? Intel are coming out with huge clock speeds, and hyperthreading sounds promising...

The Baron
11-17-02, 03:41 PM
Proc don't matter, video card does. :p

outriding9800
11-17-02, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by fantomas
Whats the system specs and what kind of rez do you use for Quake? I think I am just going to have to wait and see what Doom3 is like on smp, unless someone has checked this out with the 0.02 alpha version...:)

i have a 2 *(p3 1ghz ) with a asus p3v4xd ( i think that is right )

geforce 2 gts 64

i think the res. was 1024x768 high quality with everything turn on expect any ansio

i cant remember what demo that i ran ( my quake setup has about 5 mods in it and barely runs i just know that i could not compare it to anyone elses setup )

fantomas
11-17-02, 09:34 PM
i have a 2 *(p3 1ghz ) with a asus p3v4xd ( i think that is right

cool man, thats wicked. :)