PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT Running very Slow HELP ME

steved_np3
11-17-04, 06:40 AM
Somebody please help

I just bought a new system and I'm finding that Im getting very low performance with gaming.

With the doom3 timedemo on the second run I get 35 -40fps @ 1024 x 768, No AA, High Quality, Vsync on.

Here are the specs (Nothing Overclocked).

AMD 64 3400+
Mercury 800XL (Via Chipset) Motherboard
1GB Ram (2x 512 DDR 400)
Gainward 6800GT 256mb (NOT OC - CORE SPEED)
Soundblaster Auligy LS
200g Western Harddrive

Fresh Install of Windows XP (intergrated SP2) inc DX 9.0c
Nvidia 66.93
All the Lastest Sound and VIA drivers

I was hoping with this system I would see a huge difference compared to my last Intel 4 1.8ghz, 512mb Ram and Geforce TI500. At times I feel that Doom 3 run better on that system.

Many Thanks

steved_np3
11-17-04, 08:50 AM
Please,
Pretty Please Heeeeeeelp

ppeccin
11-17-04, 09:23 AM
What refrehs rate are you using for your monitor?
Since doom3 us capped at 60 FPS, depending on your monitor refresh rate, it could be limited to 30 or 40 FPS (because youre using vsync ON).
Try running the test with vsync off and see the differnece.

Van_Dammesque
11-17-04, 10:19 AM
Try 3dmark03 and 01 then report your scores

steved_np3
11-17-04, 02:57 PM
Hi there thanks for the advice

My monitor is a proview 19" and I'm running it at 75mhz refresh

I have used the Nvidia refresh tab to override all the common screen sizes that I use to refresh at 75

I have just turned off Vsync in the Nvidia tab and in the game and the next time I did the timedemo it shot up to 73 FPS

I run the demo another 3 times (because I couldnt believe it,lol) and it stayed around 71 - 73 fps but on another 4th and 5th attempt it droped down to 43-45.

Very strange - huh ?

The settings in doom are 1024x768, No AA, High Quality

As for 3Dmark I havent tried 03 or 01 yet but will do and post the results later

For 3Dmark 05 FREE version I got 4313

Its not just doom other games like Far Cry seam to struggle as well, its only doom3 that I have benchmarked the FPS. Although games seam a bit better now that I have turned off vsync. Its not running as slick as everyone else with a similar spec machine to me is reporting.

Any other advice you can offer would help me out big time !!!

Thanks

TheTaz
11-17-04, 03:20 PM
Whoops... wrong thread... nm.

ekloot1978
11-17-04, 04:39 PM
I thought I had read that there were problems with the nvidia refresh rate override causing some serious framerate drops in certain games such as doom. I could be completely wrong about this though so I'm not sure. Try turning off the refresh rate override and see if that helps. Hopefully somebody else here can help you out if that doesn't work. There are lots of helpful people in this forum

ekloot1978
11-17-04, 04:46 PM
...oh and if you want a refresh rate of 75 in doom without using the nvidia refreshrate override then you can create an autoexec.cfg file in the doom "base" directory and add a line in there...the line you would add is something like seta r_displayrefresh "75" I can't remember if that is exactly right or not and I'm at work so you'll have to look it up but it is fairly easy to find this info online for doom 3.

Peacemaker
11-17-04, 05:30 PM
Hi !
Leave nVidia refreshoverride by default !
should be ok.

-=DVS=-
11-17-04, 07:17 PM
I would suggest reforce to manage refresh rates alot of people from here would suggest the same Linky (http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/)

Some people did report / observer bad behavior from build in overide , and for best FPS Vsync off , unleas you getting horrible screen tearring or something.

steved_np3
11-18-04, 04:09 AM
thanks for the help

I will try out the advice on the refresh rates tonight and see if that makes a difference.

One other thing that happens to me in doom3 is that every now and then the game freezes for about 10-15 seconds and then continues without slowing down. This happens about every 20 min as Im playing.

Hopefully there is a clue there to why my card is running a bit slow.

Many thanks

steved_np3
11-18-04, 03:04 PM
I've tried different setting's with the refresh rate and still no joy

Why is everyone with simliar PC specs as me getting high FPS and great scores and I'm not?

I've tried to make sure my bios is optimized and that most unused Windows services are turned off.

I havent got any silly programs running in the system tray, no antivirus programs, and my windows installation is very clean indeed.

Somebody please help :(

Ninjaman09
11-18-04, 03:17 PM
Use RefreshForce, which DVS provided a link to. DO NOT use the nVidia driver refresh rate overrides, as this will cause some games to have conflicts (including Doom 3) and run much slower than they should. Doom 3 will sometimes act funny even with RefreshForce so you should set r_displayrefresh to whatever refresh rate you're trying to run, i.e.:

r_displayrefresh "85" for 85hz.

If you want Doom 3 to use this every time it starts, make a file called "autoexec.cfg" in the doom3/base/ directory and put that line in there.

In addition, enabling VSync in Doom 3 literally chops your framerates in half. You should never turn VSync on unless screen tearing is so unbearably bad that you would rather run at 30fps. The same is true for many other games - just leave VSync off and set your monitor refresh rate to about 85hz, and everything should be gravy ;)

ynnek
11-18-04, 03:20 PM
assuming your have enough mem (not paging the hd), and your windows installation is clean

I'd check for any IRQ conflicts in device manager..

then get a program to monitor temps of CPU, ambient, GPU and such while you play games.. perhaps your computer is overheating and throttling down.

then there are some people that recommmend playing with blitting and such...

StoNer
11-18-04, 08:02 PM
Ya Defragging your HDD moving your pagefile to a separate HDD, and making sure the pagefile is big enough in the first place. Plus id pull out one memory module at a time and speed test in different DIMM slots. I get crazy when soemthin goes wrong on my comp, so i usually try everything until its fixed or i know what the deal is.

You could also look to your psu, possibly since the addition of the card your psu is barely hanging on. You could always go pick up a stronger psu with 18A or 22A+ on the 12v rail. A good way to test if your psu is too weak for the job is to unhook all but the necessary hardware and test game performance.

steved_np3
11-19-04, 04:20 AM
Cheers Guys

I'll try out these things tonight and post back how I got on.

I think your right with the refresh rates and the vsync as I do see a difference when I change these settings.

I just need to pinpoint the right setting that works best for me

I'll let you know tonight

Thanks again

Decimator
11-19-04, 06:14 AM
Sounds to me like there might be some other program starting up in the background, have you removed any spyware, checked for viruses and checked your startup for unnecessary programs?

*j0ey*
11-19-04, 07:54 AM
steved_np3
I may have the answer to this one Possibly
Had the same problems with Msi 6800gt, which started when i could not seem to lock 99fps in half life (could before np with 5900xt and even mx440)
Ive spent 2 weeks on this on and off (busy guy) then also noticed that others game could be performing much better for such a card.
The turning point was Half Life 2 CS souce stress test.
My m8's were reporting 75-85 on 5900xt's mine came in at 43 !!!!!!
Now thats not right so i set to work last night reinstall's drivers etc etc, managed to get it upto 66-70 ish but not any higher.
So i decided to start from the begining, the Motherboard Bios, i put some settings in recomended by forums and went to save the bios and exit....the pc would not restart !!!! so i powered of and on and it set ALL the bios settings to DEFAULT, so i thought ill give it a go............went straight into CS test and what do you know....107 was the score !!!!!!!!!Hmmmmm
Something or some setting was throttling my 6800gt By half, not only that i can now lock 99fps in half life with no drop.
Hope this helps, i recommend you copy down your bios seetings before going to load all defaults just in case it does not work for you. GL (salute)

steved_np3
11-19-04, 01:47 PM
Wey Hey Hey !!!

I think I've got somewhere

The advice with the motherboard deflauts helped and has fixed something as my FPS has gone from a solid 35-40 to a solid 80 - 81.4 in doom3 everytime.

I'm running doom 3 at 1024 x 768, No AA, High Quality, Vsync off

I first turned the vsync off in the nvidia drivers and the game and turned the refresh to application controlled, then I got a FPS of 73 but went back down to 40 after a few trys.

But when I changed the motherboard settings, everytime I timedemo I get over 80 FPS.

The only visable thing I noticed change (there most of been other settings as well) in the bios was INITAL DISPLAY FIRST was set to AGP when I loaded the deflauts it changed it to PCI. SO I have left it at this setting, I dont understand how but it works !!!!

So a very big thanks to everyone who helped me out !!!

Also is 80FPS good for my system or could I get more (being greedy now !)

*j0ey*
11-19-04, 04:33 PM
N1 steved_np3 pleased it worked.
I think theres a leason to be learned here about Motherboard bios settings
Always best to start from point A (Bios) and work your way from up there. :)

steved_np3
11-20-04, 01:01 PM
Thanks Joey I'll keep that in mind for the future

Things are still going great since I did that all games are now running smooth and games like Far Cry are not crashing at all.

Doom3 still freezes every now and then but its not as bad as it used to be and the FPS are staying up in the 80's.

Is 80FPS good for my spec or average ???

Thanks again

nIghtorius
11-20-04, 08:38 PM
Thanks Joey I'll keep that in mind for the future

Things are still going great since I did that all games are now running smooth and games like Far Cry are not crashing at all.

Doom3 still freezes every now and then but its not as bad as it used to be and the FPS are staying up in the 80's.

Is 80FPS good for my spec or average ???

Thanks again

nice framerate.. I recommend you using

1024x768 4xAA 8xFA, No VSynch with Doom III. your card should be able to handle it nicely.