PDA

View Full Version : Gigantic, horrible bug in new 67.02 drivers

Ninjaman09
11-17-04, 12:27 PM
Well, of course this would have to happen today of all days.

I had installed the 67.02 drivers anticipating the elimination of the terrible shimmering in Source and UT2K4. The 66.93's had a bug where my computer would BSOD when I exited UT2K4, so I was hoping that this was also fixed. My hopes were completely in vain. While the shimmering was gone, UT2K4 still BSOD's on exit.

The big deal here is that with the 66.93's, after this happened my system would restart and every time I tried to run UT2K4 it would tell me that my CD-Key was invalid, and I'd have to reinstall the game. Pain in the ass, but only took about 30 minutes or so. With the 67.02's, I could run the game after the crash! Woohoo, I thought, at least it isn't as bad as before! When I went to the control panel, however, I realized this was not the case - ALL of my game profiles, even the defaults, were gone from the list. In fact, there WAS no list other than the general options. Crap, I figured. So I uninstalled the drivers and restarted, intending to reinstall them and get my profiles back.

NOPE!

Right after my BIOS checks were all set, the computer restarted. No Windows logon screen, nothing. I was thinking, "what the hell?" but didn't worry about it too much and set my computer to stock settings just in case. This time I got the "Windows did not start properly" message and opted to "Start Windows Normally". Same thing, computer restarted immediately afterwards. I ran Memtest86 and DataLifeguard to check my memory and HDDs, all tests were fine. So I rebooted and opted for Safe Mode. It made it down the list of drivers about half a screen's worth and rebooted.

Usually when you can't boot in Safe Mode your computer is ****ed. I put the Windows XP CD in and ran the Repair installtion option. Setup copied all the files and said it was gathering configuration data, and ended up telling me that it "could not retrieve configuration information. Please contact your system administrator".

I rebooted again, and this time I didn't even get a choice of startup options. The computer rebooted immediately after the BIOS stuff. I ran Recovery Console and attempted to copy my files over to my other hard drive and just re-format and re-install, but the ****ing Program Files directory is read protected for some ****ing reason and I can't. Because of this, my entire Steam cache is going to go BYE-BYE, INCLUDING HALF LIFE ****ING 2. I can't think of any way to get my Steam files off that drive without moving it to another computer (which isn't an option, they're SATA drives and I don't know anyone else with SATA ports on their systems).

Does anyone know if you can set read/write permissions in the Windows XP Recovery Console? Google has turned up nothing. If I can't, looks like I have to pre-load my entire 7 GB Steam cache AGAIN (I just had to format last weekend).

All of this was caused by uninstalling the 67.02 drivers after they'd been screwed up by the UT2K4 BSOD-on-exit bug, hence, it is my opinion that these drivers are solely responsible for my system being destroyed.

betterdan
11-17-04, 12:31 PM
Damn that sucks :(

Nutty
11-17-04, 01:21 PM
I thought UT2k4 had a known problem under SP2 causing crashes? I haven't had a crash in nvidia drivers since about the 7 series.

I've had instances where a crash can totally mess over security descriptors on NTFS drivers causing files to be completely locked out.

OWA
11-17-04, 02:00 PM
Yeah, try disabling DEP and see if that fixes it for you Ninjaman09. Unless some of the recent drivers have fixed it, there is a known issue if you use an AMD 64, WinXP SP2 and UT2K4. Disabling DEP is supposed to fix it.

Richteralan
11-17-04, 02:04 PM
check your mobo to see if any physical damage ;)

Subtestube
11-17-04, 02:20 PM
If you really need to just get data off, grab a linux live CD at http://www.knoppix.com/.

Assuming you can boot from a CD, it's a complete OS with CD burning capability and networking.

circuitbreaker8
11-17-04, 02:30 PM
That problem used to happen to me in UT2k4, turned out to be my ram voltage and being OCed to high.

rewt
11-17-04, 05:47 PM
They also have vsync bug. Can't force vsync if the program does not allow. Otherwise will end up with *a lot* of horrible tearing and black flickering lines, etc.

Zetto
11-17-04, 06:05 PM
Word of the wise: ghost your drive before trying beta forceware :D Seriously though, I fell your pain. Why didn't you backup Steam before reinstalling windows?

Ninjaman09
11-17-04, 07:03 PM
Zetto: I couldn't boot Windows. My computer would restart before it even got to a Windows loading screen.

The damage has been done. There was nothing I could do to get my files off the drive, so I had to just format and be done with it. My system's back up and running just fine now, but Half-Life 2 has only downloaded about 7% and it's certainly not going to be done tonight. Oh well, tomorrow after work it'll be done.

It wasn't the just beta drivers but the combination of SP2, UT2K4, and the drivers that did my system in. I'm just not going to install UT2K4, I hardly ever play it anymore anyway.

CaptNKILL
11-17-04, 08:14 PM
Just to add to this, I got an infinite loop error in nv4disp.dll with 67.02 in half-life 2.

Game just stuck then gave me a blue screen then reset and gave me an error message saying that the graphics driver failed to draw a frame.

This driver "fixes" (actually just covers up) the shimmering issues and seems to work with Flatout, but that error isnt the kind of thing I want to experience any more. I know they are beta, but yeeeesh. HL2 of all things should be bug free since they released the driver within a day of HL2's release date.