PDA

View Full Version : GF6800GT Poor CS 1.6 Performance in Smoke

mathyou
11-17-04, 03:38 PM
I'm new here, so please forgive me if this has been covered in the past. My searches turned up nothing. (Part the problem being that I cannot search for "cs" since it is too short. "Counter-strike" didn't turn up much.)

The only thread I found that was this (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37392&highlight=counter-strike+performance) one. It seems to suggest that I should not be having any problems.

Anyway, I have a P4 3.0C @ 3.3 GHz. 1 GB RAM. GF6800GT. I usually get 99 FPS in normal gameplay. However when I am in smoke, my framerate drops significantly, usually to around 60, sometimes to 30. That is unacceptable for a $400 video card. I didn't have that problem with my Radeon 9800 Pro. Also, the colored text displays (such as Statsme stuff or Admin messages) seem to take a real toll on the framerate as well. That isn't such a big deal since it doesn't often happen while I am still alive. Nonetheless, it is annoying. The smoke is the real problem though. I cannot play competitively until that is resolved.

This problem has persisted across multiple reformats and multiple driver installations.

I'm using WinXP Pro SP2. DX9C. Audigy2 ZS with the latest drivers.

I've tried a ton of drivers for the video card. 61.77, 65.70, 65.73, 66.81, 66.93.

This is really driving me crazy. Thanks in advance for your help.

---------------------------------

Edit: I should add that I would normally like to play with 4xAA and 16xAF. The slowdowns happen with those settings, but it also happens when I don't do anything in the drive control panel for hl.exe specifically or globally.

subbo
11-17-04, 08:20 PM
Heh I remember the CS smoke problem with my Voodoo2 SLI. Yes, thats how old the game/mod is that you're playing. And the 6800GT can handle multiple layers of alpha with ease, so it has to be some bug with the hanlding of the HL1 engine with the nvidia drivers or other.

Have you tried recent games to see if your setup is normal with those games?

And maybe move on over to CS:S? ;)

StoNer
11-17-04, 09:01 PM
Still running fine for me even in smoke. Hell it even ran good fps with smoke on my 5200FX so theres definetly somethin up.

Try putting on Quality instead of High Quality and turn off AA and AF and see if the same stuff happens.

Also try changing the options in the game to use OpenGL and then D3D and see if that changes anything.

My friend had some framerate dipping problems but he had Vsync on. After he turned off vsync his problems were gone.

mathyou
11-18-04, 01:23 AM
I suppose I deserve a little chiding about still playing such an old and ugly game, but it is the most popular online FPS. Moreover, the gameplay, in my view, is superior to everything else. The clan scene has no competitor, hence I will continue playing 1.6. Source just isn't ready for primetime as of yet. And it is insane that a $400 card isn't doing okay in such an old game.

Other people with similar (and those with far less powerful) cards report having no issues whatsoever. So something must just be odd with my setup, not some chip/engine erratum.

Other games generally seem to play alright.

I've tried changing the smoke quality setting in HL to no effect. Regardless which value is set, the initial burst of smoke is still high quality, which causes the slowdown. I've tried changing the overall image quality setting in the driver CP from HQ, to Q, to P. No effect. I have also tried running HL in D3D mode. Same problem. So the problem exists regardless AA, regardless AF, regardless the catchall "image quality" value, regardless smoke quality, and regardless rendering API. I am sure VSYNC is off.

StoNer
11-18-04, 02:44 AM
:( sorry man im outta ideas. Possible bunk card or idono.

Faster
11-18-04, 08:37 AM
I just dont know, I still get the FPS drops and I had them when I had a 9800XT too. It is annoying that I have a card now worth twice as much and it is proformaning about the same. But I guess I will just have to deal with it until new drivers improve proformance. Tweaking game engine and playing with drivers does help.

StoNer
11-18-04, 11:08 AM
Try switching to 4x AGP mode to see if nething happens.

Also run memtest on ur RAM. Sorry im not good at thinkin up ideas. Usually any problem ive had that i ended up troubleshooting took alot of time and insanity b4 i figured it out finally.

anway good luck to u

subbo
11-18-04, 06:27 PM
There is definetly something up with the way HL/CS renders the smoke. If you try a game like BFV where there are doom3ish bumpmaps and pixel shaders aplenty, lots of alpha grass and stuff, and then drop a couple smoke nades with the sniper class and no slowdown whatsoever, and you cant see out of the smoke.

And that game runs terribly with previous generation cards outside the lowest or low graphic setting (that eliminates shaders).

Ages120
11-18-04, 09:53 PM
Turn off AA and Anistropy if you don't want cs smoke to bog you mooey.